Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2018, 08:21 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Even if you feel it's overrated, you don't need to hate it.
Even if you liked it, you don’t need to mention it every 5 minutes. Black Panther is not life changing, we’ll leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 08:21 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Just got back from seeing the movie. Enjoyed what I could hear. Did not expect my hearing loss to have progressed to the point of having trouble understanding dialog at a movie theater. I caught most of the jokes but was frustrated to hear others laughing at something said that I couldn’t make out. Have written the theater about options for partial hearing loss. I know they have a closed caption device but I’d prefer headphones.
hearing aids.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:32 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Exactly what Ares is in Wonder Woman. Exactly.

We've seen great, great villains from DC over the years (and some not so great). DC is easily better than Marvel in that dept.

That said, Thanos is the first MCU villain I feel is worthy of my time since Loki. It only took them a decade to finally script somebody, with much help from creator Jim Starlin (I'm sure you saw that long standalone line thanking him in the credits),
Saw that. I had to immediately look him up.

I dunno, though about "great, great villains from DC."

Old 04-30-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
True. But here is what makes me nervous about upcoming WW movies:

The heart of her character (her origin story) is … well, kinda boring. Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, etc. are all born out of trauma or tragedy. Many of them become heroes in attempt to either redeem a personal sin or to try to fit in to a society that doesn’t want them. It makes them compelling because their quest isn’t just about Beating the Bad Guy, but about filling an Inner Need.

What Inner Need does Wonder Woman have? She already knows who she is. She was born in order to defeat Ares. She did that. Now what? Just hang out and do good and be awesome? Not even the overflowing charm of Gal Gadot is going to be able to make that interesting for very long.

Not saying the writers can’t do it. But they definitely have a hurdle to jump with Wonder Woman that many other super heroes don’t have.

They've perhaps inadvertently given themselves an opening to do something with her 100 year absence--somehow write it as the result of an enormously greater tragedy than was shown in the movie.

Quote:
Are you talking about comics or movies?

In comics, Batman definitely has the best rogues gallery of any super hero --- although Spider-Man runs a real close second. But aside from Nolan's The Dark Knight, none of the movies have managed to bring the awesome DC villains to life. Lex Luthor ought to have been a formidable criminal mastermind and instead came across as the love child of Mark Zuckerberg and Jar Jar Binks. The weakest episode of Smallville still had a better Lex than anything we've seen on the big screen.
For all its other issues, Gotham has done a pretty good job showing the development of the villains.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:54 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The weakest episode of Smallville still had a better Lex than anything we've seen on the big screen.

Copy that! They need to either tweak the character or replace the actor, terrible portrayal in S vs B.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:56 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Exactly what Ares is in Wonder Woman. Exactly.

We've seen great, great villains from DC over the years (and some not so great). DC is easily better than Marvel in that dept.

That said, Thanos is the first MCU villain I feel is worthy of my time since Loki. It only took them a decade to finally script somebody, with much help from creator Jim Starlin (I'm sure you saw that long standalone line thanking him in the credits), who didn't come off as one-note or an echo of the hero who's fighting him (you know, like Whiplash, nonMandarin, almost-Killian, Darren Cross aka Fake Yellowjacket). Barnes doesn't count because as the Winter Soldier he was being manipulated. Erik Killmonger was solid, but he was afforded many conveniences.
Other than Heathe Ledger’s Joker, please share who these “great,great” DC villains are!

Old 04-30-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Copy that! They need to either tweak the character or replace the actor, terrible portrayal in S vs B.
Judging from Jesse Eisenberg's performance as Zuckerberg, I think he could have done an excellently scarey and hardcore Lex Luthor. I don't know where that portrayal came from, except some looney directorial input.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:44 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
For all its other issues, Gotham has done a pretty good job showing the development of the villains.
I made it through the first season. Penguin was great, the kid playing Bruce Wayne was great, and GOTHAM had the only onscreen version of the Riddler that I have ever liked. But I found the rest of the show way too goofy and gave up.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:13 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Even if you liked it, you don’t need to mention it every 5 minutes. Black Panther is not life changing, we’ll leave it at that.
I don't mention it every 5 minutes. I haven't mentioned Black Panther at all for a while now. There are other users here who like it a LOT more than I do. They don't want to discuss the problems with the third act.

But thanks for confirming you're that one nimrod who registered an alias expressly to scold me for not rating the Ready Player One trailer highly because "maybe the cast is too white" (your words).

Old 04-30-2018, 11:29 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Other than Heathe Ledger’s Joker, please share who these “great,great” DC villains are!
Sure, no problem. I won't even post Liam Neeson as Ra's. And no, I won't post EisenLex, because MarkuS will wet himself.

^Don't even try to say he's didn't crush that role, especially considering how different he was from the comics version.

^Blew Stamp-Zod out of the Kryptonian water. No cheesy one-liners, a menace with purpose.

He was great. The only Batman rogue to show up in all three of Nolan's movies, too.

^I would've changed some things, like use a stand-in for his final armored version, but he was very good. Not quite great, but very good.

Glad to be of service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies