Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 10:14 PM

1,808 posts, read 3,190,193 times

Advertisements

I saw it tonight. Not going to be surprised by bad reviews. I thought it was decent, but does lack the rewatchable of previous movies. It feels like they never had a solid road map of where they wanted the trilogy to go.

Not going to talk about any of the major things yet, but a couple of minor things:
Spoiler
It lacked an epic climatic lightsaber fight. Always been one of my favorite parts of Star Wars.
The main one was in the middle of the movie and wasn't that good.

They need to stop with planet destroying weapons already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 06:54 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
It feels like they never had a solid road map of where they wanted the trilogy to go.
That's because they didn't. They scrapped Lucas's original idea, and Abrams has admitted without apology that they actually started filming THE FORCE AWAKENS before they even had a script. Rian Johnson basically went off the reservation entirely with THE LAST JEDI. And there are supposedly no less than nine different versions of THE RISE OF SKYWALKER, all of which are very different from one another.

No planning went into this trilogy at all. They made it up as they went along --- and badly.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:57 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
That's because they didn't. They scrapped Lucas's original idea, and Abrams has admitted without apology that they actually started filming THE FORCE AWAKENS before they even had a script. Rian Johnson basically went off the reservation entirely with THE LAST JEDI. And there are supposedly no less than nine different versions of THE RISE OF SKYWALKER, all of which are very different from one another.

No planning went into this trilogy at all. They made it up as they went along --- and badly.
Someone or many people should be fired for that. They spent $4.05B for in essence the Star Wars franchise and they create a dumpster fire trilogy, a tragic standalone character move unironically called Solo (hopefully it will be a solo outing), and a bland immediate prequel into the OT.

I think that in 4 years they've completely lost 40 years of goodwill.

The one bright spot is small screen, The Mandalorian is vintage.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Someone or many people should be fired for that. They spent $4.05B for in essence the Star Wars franchise and they create a dumpster fire trilogy, a tragic standalone character move unironically called Solo (hopefully it will be a solo outing), and a bland immediate prequel into the OT.

I think that in 4 years they've completely lost 40 years of goodwill.
I don't know who should be fired though. Should Disney fire Kathleen Kennedy for doing what Disney told her to do?

Quote:
The one bright spot is small screen, The Mandalorian is vintage.
THE MANDALORIAN is okay. I'm not an enamored with it as so many people seem to be. It's okay. Not great. It's not the STAR WARS I was hoping for. I was hoping for something more like ROGUE ONE in tone. But THE MANDALORIAN is more of a live-action cartoon.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:44 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,014,802 times
^^ pretty much. They’re 37 min episodes that are a step up from animated. It’s something different... without baby Yoda though I doubt it’d get as much attention. Some decent episodes and some “why did I waste my time with that” episodes.

Old 12-20-2019, 10:42 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,077,806 times
The Last Jedi pretty much destroyed Star Wars. Yoda destroying the texts of the Jedi, Luke throwing his light saber into the ocean like toolbag, Luke pretty much stating he wanted the Jedi to end, etc. Snoke was an enigma.

It's like they are trying to be PC. Instead of Jedi/Sith.. Let's be inclusive... Force-User. You can be a good force-user, in the middle force-user or a bad force-user... LOL

George should be sad that his legacy has been tarnished by these new trilogies. The prequels had their issues but at least they stated true to the main ethos of Star Wars.

Did they explain why Kylo betrayed Luke and went crazy? What led him to the dark-side giving everything that his parents, luke etc would have told him about Darth Sidious, Vader, etc?

Old 12-20-2019, 11:49 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
I can't wait for this entire set of insipid movies to die and go away.

I saw the original in 1977 and was appalled that it was just a western movie in a wacky future setting. IMO it was as much a send-up of the formulaic western as anything else. There was Harrison Ford, dressed like a cowboy with a vest and six shooter strapped to his waist, the requisite bar scene straight out of Gunsmoke, good guys, bad guys, a pretty girl and a contrived conflict for good guys to win and ride off into the sunset.

Total ripoff of the classic western movie.

The makers of this nonsense laugh at the public for buying this dross and laugh as they drive to the bank. Goodbye. Good riddance.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-20-2019, 12:18 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,712 times
Me: "The saga should end after the rise of skywalker, right?"
Disney: "Well yes, but actually no".

Old 12-20-2019, 12:20 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,822,268 times
I saw the 6PM show yesterday and thought it was a fun film! Of course I went with the expectation I would have fun and so did much of the audience as there were cheers and clapping throughout as well as a lot of laughter. Not a perfect film and I have my quibbles but I'm going to see it again next week. Your mileage may vary!

Old 12-20-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
If you believe the rumors, the lackluster stories of Episodes VII, VII, and IX are largely the fault of Bob Iger and Disney. Kennedy was just a Yes Woman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sym7xM4ytgM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies