Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2022, 07:57 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times

Advertisements

I thoroughly enjoyed Avatar back in 2009. I never saw it in 3D. Last night I saw the new movie in Real 3D at a Showcase Lux theater. Excellent sequel one of the better ones I've seen, and possibly one of the few where I think the sequel is better than the original.

The visuals were stunning. The character development was excellent. The storyline was compelling. The movie was immersive.

If you just don't like this style of movie, just say so. Throwing hate at the movie and Cameron is unnecessary IMO. I don't care for Star Wars which is weird because I love science fiction, fantasy, action movies. It didn't grip me. I don't hate the Star Wars series, I just didn't connect with it. For whatever reason Avatar didn't connect with you, just leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2022, 08:07 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,218,929 times
I saw both Avatars and thought they were OK (the visuals more or less made the movie for me). But if you've been following the media (and forums), there's been a certain amount of political backlash to this movie. Primarily centered around cultural appropriation and "White savior complex". I think most people will simply enjoy the movie as it is - a remarkable CGI accomplishment and with engaging characters.

Old 12-22-2022, 08:21 AM

10,857 posts, read 4,534,722 times
when a movie requires cgi - it moves towards not being a movie. however, star xxxx's, ID4 etc, the cgi worked and it went around REALITY and the characters were actually real.

In movies like avatar, even the actors are not real, take away the sensors and computers and it looks like a bunch a people standing around in blue man group get up.

that being said I saw avatar and all things aside it was just dumb. It was a lift of about ANY movie about africa (think about the connection for a moment) and pretty much an anime retelling of blood diamond or clive cusslers BOOK (not movie) Sahara. but no one pays attention to the stories they see any more which is the most reasonable explanation of why blumhouse is able to exist (every one of their movies is a script ripoff)

however, here we are in the future and A2 is being BILLED as a woke masterpiece- whatever that is.

Im not into going to see movies where the published synop is to insult the existence of the moviegoer. no thanks. Mr cameron should have rested his laurels on titanic. but its gonna make a zillion dollars

However, glass onion opens on flix tomorrow and THAT I am going to see

Old 12-22-2022, 10:20 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I saw both Avatars and thought they were OK (the visuals more or less made the movie for me). But if you've been following the media (and forums), there's been a certain amount of political backlash to this movie. Primarily centered around cultural appropriation and "White savior complex". I think most people will simply enjoy the movie as it is - a remarkable CGI accomplishment and with engaging characters.
It's disgusting how soft the U.S. has become. Politicizing everything playing with being politically correct, pure fear in hurting whoever's feelings, color or otherwise. It was an amazing movie IMO.

Old 12-22-2022, 10:58 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Honest discussion sometimes does step on toes. The idea of "If you don't like it, just say so and leave it at that" is insulting. What it amounts to is instead of putting your fingers in your ears and going "la la la" to avoid hearing something negative, you want people to not speak. The STANDARD rule in internet forum discussions is "If you don't like the subject or the way it is being discussed, don't open the thread."

I will say that D.W. Griffith's "Birth of a Nation" also had some good scenes and had a plot line that more or less held together. There were many folks who liked the movie at the time. That doesn't change the fact that there was rampant racism and stereotyping in it. Not allowing discussion of that film would have amounted to censorship that would have held back awareness. I'm not saying the Avatar movies are that obvious, but I do not find them worthy of my time.

Old 12-22-2022, 11:02 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,332,943 times
It was at least an hour too long. Probably could have used an intermission. This is one for the home if you have a decent home theater setup. You can take breaks that way.

Old 12-22-2022, 11:27 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Honest discussion sometimes does step on toes. The idea of "If you don't like it, just say so and leave it at that" is insulting. What it amounts to is instead of putting your fingers in your ears and going "la la la" to avoid hearing something negative, you want people to not speak. The STANDARD rule in internet forum discussions is "If you don't like the subject or the way it is being discussed, don't open the thread."
I'm not able to comprehend why somebody who doesn't want to see or hear a disparaging opinion of a movie voiced would think that visiting a forum where such things are discussed would be a good idea. Surely there are fan sites out there where everything is sunshine and rainbows about the movie.

Old 12-22-2022, 11:34 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I will say that D.W. Griffith's "Birth of a Nation" also had some good scenes and had a plot line that more or less held together. There were many folks who liked the movie at the time. That doesn't change the fact that there was rampant racism and stereotyping in it.
True. Good art can sometimes have a very ugly message. BIRTH OF A NATION is a great example. There are some great LOONEY TUNES cartoons that are incredibly racist.

I enjoy the music in GREASE as much as anyone. But the theme of that movie is really messed up.

And if we were to start listing all the great songs with terrible messages, we'd be here all day.

Old 12-22-2022, 05:16 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
You want a honest opinion - It was a bad movie. It was not the CGI that made it not a movie or a bad / Good movie. It was the cliches and usual formulaic theme. The last battle scenes went on and on and on...

I disagree that it was one hour too long. It was two hours too long. It needed an editor with a sharp scissors ( do they even make movies on film to cut with scissors?) to trim it to under 90 minutes. Not 3 hours and 15 minutes.

Luckily I did not have to pay for it. It was a freebie pre-release preview from our financial firm. And more than 1/3 of the invitees left well before the halfway mark. My spouse wanted to leave but I stayed to show what would happen if we ever wasted money on movies like Avatar.

The redeeming features - The popcorn and drink were good. And my spouse won a raffle prize.

Old 12-23-2022, 09:00 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed Avatar back in 2009. I never saw it in 3D. Last night I saw the new movie in Real 3D at a Showcase Lux theater. Excellent sequel one of the better ones I've seen, and possibly one of the few where I think the sequel is better than the original.

The visuals were stunning. The character development was excellent. The storyline was compelling. The movie was immersive.

If you just don't like this style of movie, just say so. Throwing hate at the movie and Cameron is unnecessary IMO. I don't care for Star Wars which is weird because I love science fiction, fantasy, action movies. It didn't grip me. I don't hate the Star Wars series, I just didn't connect with it. For whatever reason Avatar didn't connect with you, just leave it at that.
I think the main objection to Avatar is the implication about colonialism and its impact on native peoples.

It's a touchy subject matter for some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies