Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:56 PM

2 posts, read 10,267 times

Advertisements

It's quite amazing to see 2 of these revenge fantasy movies out at the same time.

Valkyrie (Bryan Singer, jewish homosexual)
Defiance (Ed Zwick, jewish)

Which is more likely to make Oscar voters more excited?

Some people wonder why these movies are made, when they don't attract big audiences, it's a new generation, etc. and also what is the opportunity cost for the shareholders of the various media companies which could have had something else produced for a wider audience?

I guess Hollywood just loves the Holocaust and WWII revenge genre. Not many of these movies ever do that well at the box office, but they keep making them, and then many win Oscars.

Last edited by jackiemeson; 12-30-2008 at 11:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 11:10 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
I'd like to see both. But of the two, I'm more excited about Defiance, simply because Daniel Craig playing a Jew killing Nazis excites me more than Tom Cruise playing a Nazi betraying Hitler.

WWII movies are going to be popular for a good, long while. It was the last war where there was a fairly clear-cut black and white in the minds of most people.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:12 AM

2 posts, read 10,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I'm more excited about Defiance, simply because Daniel Craig playing a Jew killing Nazis excites me.......

WWII movies are going to be popular for a good, long while. It was the last war where there was a fairly clear-cut black and white in the minds of most people.
Wow, you like revenge fantasies too. I don't think there will be too many more WWII movies made, unless they are Holocaust propaganda films, which is basically what the Singer and Zwick efforts are here, at shareholders' expense.

WWII was a muddled mess. FDR was so stupid that he actually called Stalin "Uncle Joe" and then allied the US with the biggest anti-European and anti-Western Civ mass murderer in history of Europe.

My fantasy would be to see a movie made in which Bolshevism lost the war, instead of winning it, with dupes like FDR's help.

I don't think I could stomach either of these two Hollywood farces, and I wouldn't support either propaganda film with my cash.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:41 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I'd like to see both. But of the two, I'm more excited about Defiance, simply because Daniel Craig playing a Jew killing Nazis excites me more than Tom Cruise playing a Nazi betraying Hitler.

von Stauffenburg was not a Nazi but a German aristocrat and soldier. Note that he held the anti-Jewish and anti-Polish views that were normal among the German aristocracy, especially those with roots in Prussia as he had on his mother's side.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiemeson View Post
I don't think there will be too many more WWII movies made, unless they are Holocaust propaganda films, which is basically what the Singer and Zwick efforts are here, at shareholders' expense.
Holocaust propaganda? Huh?

And how is Valkyrie, a movie about a conspiracy amongst the German army to kill Hitler, Holocaust propaganda?

Quote:
WWII was a muddled mess. FDR was so stupid that he actually called Stalin "Uncle Joe" and then allied the US with the biggest anti-European and anti-Western Civ mass murderer in history of Europe.
FDR was many things, but stupid wasn't one of them. We were at war with the Axis powers. So were the Soviets. Allying with the Soviets was necessary to defeat Hitler. But you'll notice it didn't last. The last bullets had barely stopped flying in Berlin before the Cold War was in full swing.

Quote:
I don't think I could stomach either of these two Hollywood farces, and I wouldn't support either propaganda film with my cash.
You probably won't be waiting in line for Tarantino's Inglorious Bastards then?

Old 12-31-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Wow, you like revenge fantasies too.
“Children are innocent and love justice, while most adults are wicked and prefer mercy.†(G.K. Chesterton)

I guess I'm still enough of a kid at heart to enjoy watching Nazis get their comeuppance.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:31 PM

7 posts, read 20,470 times
Quote:
Wow, you like revenge fantasies too. I don't think there will be too many more WWII movies made, unless they are Holocaust propaganda films, which is basically what the Singer and Zwick efforts are here, at shareholders' expense.

My fantasy would be to see a movie made in which Bolshevism lost the war, instead of winning it, with dupes like FDR's help.

This movie is not about Holocaust. This movie is about WW2 and Belarusian partisans fighting for their life and the life of their loved ones. I was browsing the internet to find out more about the movie and found this thread. Wow, there are still a lot of ignorant people out there that do not know a bit about this war, and, still, fill they can judge the historical events of this magnitude. I was born in Belarus (I am not a Jew, - I am Belarusian Slav) and know about the war from my parents and grandparents, who survived hiding in the forests from the Nazi occupation, while 1/3 of the entire population of Belarus was slotered. People were killed like animals, Jews and not Jews, communists and not. My uncles, grandfather and my wife's father were partisans, killing fascists, so entire Europe could finally breathe. If it was not for these people, by now, all Europe (and USA) would speak German and yell "Hail Hitler".
So, please, do yourself a favor, learn the history of WW2, and, in general, learn the subject before you speak up. You will sound like an intelligent person then. Solong. I know your response, so do not bother…

Old 01-01-2009, 12:23 PM

7 posts, read 20,470 times
Hey, I hate Bolsheviks, do not like Russians, and I am Belarusian. One of the main things why I am living in the USA is because of communism. My grandfather was executed by communists. So I know what real communism and Nazism is. I never made a statement that Stalin liberated Europe. But the fact of the matter is, that Germans lost about 1 million solders on the occupied Belarusian land
+ constantly interapted supply to the eastern front. And, please, do not compare Hamas and Partisans. It just shows your ignorance.
Note, I am trying to be polite.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:07 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,084,262 times
I'm looking forward to 'Defiance'; I'm skipping 'Valkyrie' (don't know why I have absolutely no interest in seeing it-maybe because it has Tom Cruise?)

Old 01-02-2009, 10:08 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,084,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barfed64 View Post
This movie is not about Holocaust. This movie is about WW2 and Belarusian partisans fighting for their life and the life of their loved ones. I was browsing the internet to find out more about the movie and found this thread. Wow, there are still a lot of ignorant people out there that do not know a bit about this war, and, still, fill they can judge the historical events of this magnitude. I was born in Belarus (I am not a Jew, - I am Belarusian Slav) and know about the war from my parents and grandparents, who survived hiding in the forests from the Nazi occupation, while 1/3 of the entire population of Belarus was slotered. People were killed like animals, Jews and not Jews, communists and not. My uncles, grandfather and my wife's father were partisans, killing fascists, so entire Europe could finally breathe. If it was not for these people, by now, all Europe (and USA) would speak German and yell "Hail Hitler".
So, please, do yourself a favor, learn the history of WW2, and, in general, learn the subject before you speak up. You will sound like an intelligent person then. Solong. I know your response, so do not bother…
Have you seen 'Idi i Smotri (Come and See)'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies