Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 03:21 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times

Advertisements

Went to see Lincoln this afternoon.... far too long.. too factual for me to be honest.. but great acting from Daniel Day Lewis..

Old 02-01-2013, 08:05 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,228,525 times
It's not like I need a film to add to my all-time favorites list, which already is so lengthy that it's unwieldy. I know. I tried to make a file of them, and it quickly was overwhelming. I'm not sure what happens if I try a project several people suggested: listing every film I can recall watching. Has anyone tried that? I'm sure there must be some who started keeping records at a certain point. So, what's my most recent find?

La tête en friche (2010) - IMDb aka My Afternoons with Margueritte ~ It was subtitled, so I pushed the laptop aside and enjoyed. I have a feeling that it's impossible for me to be disappointed by Gerard Depardieu. I try to figure out what it is about him that is so riveting. I only know that, after seeing Get Out Your Handkerchiefs (1978) - IMDb, back when HBO aired Best Foreign Language Film (for which it won the Oscar) and the nominees each year, I've watched as many of his films as became available~not nearly enough. I've already watched "Vatel" twice and am hoping to see it again.

I know the thread title asks for "the last movie you have watched", but I can't resist sharing from my film journal. Let's work backwards this time as I continue my movie binge:
Black Legion (1937) - IMDb ~ Each time I see it, I wonder what could have kept Humphrey Bogart from a Best Actor nomination. So, right now, I am checking out the nominees: Spencer Tracy for "Captains Courageous" (BA winner and his first of back-to-back Oscars), Fredric March in "A Star Is Born" (OK... He would've gotten my vote over everyone~maybe~I think.), Paul Muni (a masterful chameleonic actor!) in "The Life of Emile Zola", Robert Montgomery (as a charming sociopath) in "Night Must Fall", and Charles Boyer in "Conquest" (sadly, one I have yet to see). I guess that Bogie had far too much competition.

The Story of Louis Pasteur http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028313/ ~ Speaking of Paul Muni... Many consider this the best he ever did. I have to admit that it's one time that I'm never conscious of the actor as sometimes happens with his roles. He won the Best Actor Oscar for it. My favorite of his films is "The Good Earth" (1937), for which co-star Luise Rainer won the second of her back-to-back Best Actress Oscars; the first was for "The Great Ziegfeld" (1936). She was the first to do that: two in a row.

Point Blank (1967) - IMDb ~ After being doublecrossed and left for dead, a mysterious man named Walker (Lee Marvin as an unstoppable juggernaut) singlemindedly tries to retrieve the money that was stolen from him. Yes, "Payback" (1999) with Mel Gibson is a remake. As powerful as "Payback" is, it's a breeze compared to "Point Blank" by John Boorman ("Deliverance" and "Excalibur", just to name a couple of his works). As an extra for the guys, there's Angie Dickinson.

The Dirty Dozen (1967) - IMDb ~ A U.S. Army major (Lee Marvin again) is assigned a dozen convicted murderers to train and lead them into a mass assassination mission of German officers in World War II. Cast: Charles Bronson, Donald Sutherland, Clint Walker, Telly Savalas, John Cassavetes, Ernest Borgnine, Jim Brown, Robert Ryan, etc.

Monte Walsh (1970) - IMDb ~ An aging cowboy (Yep! Lee Marvin!) realizes that the West he knew and loved will soon be no more--and that there will be no room for him, either. "Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever." ~ great Jack Palance line

Cat Ballou (1965) - IMDb ~ This kicked off the Marvin marathon (I think... At least, it's when I tuned in to TCM), and it's still one of my all-time favorites since seeing it in the theater. Everyone is perfect, as are the music (especially the Shouters/minstrels), sets and everything else. Lee Marvin, helped by the leaning horse, won Best Actor Oscar in his double role. You can have "Blazing Saddles". I'll stick with "Cat Ballou"! My other favorite comedy Westerns are "Texas Across the River", "The Frisco Kid", and James Garner's two "Support Your" films. I haven't seen it for a long time, but I'd like to revisit "The Villain".

That's as far back as I'd better go. Insomnia certainly makes for an interesting collection of films watched.

P.S. "I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang" (1932) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023042/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 is just getting started, with Paul Muni in the lead. Not surprisingly, he was nominated for a Best Actor Oscar. There were only three nominees that year; Muni, Leslie Howard in the time travel romance "Berkeley Square" and the winner, Charles Laughton in "The Private Life of Henry VIII.".

Last edited by MystMoonstruck; 02-01-2013 at 08:24 PM..

Old 02-02-2013, 12:50 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Last i saw was BACK TO THE FUTURE on VHS,boy what a good movie!!!

Speaking of BTTF,check out this awesome site dedicated to this movie

http://z7.invisionfree.com/back_to_the_future

Old 02-02-2013, 04:13 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Last i saw was BACK TO THE FUTURE on VHS,boy what a good movie!!!

Speaking of BTTF,check out this awesome site dedicated to this movie

Back To The Future
A great movie. Rumored to be getting a remake. I hope they don't do it. it's a classic.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:31 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
The Master by P.T. Anderson. I would have liked to see Tom Cruise in this movie (he was one of the actors in Magnolia). That would have been ironic. . Phoenix and Seymour Hoffmann were both excellent.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:03 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I saw Lincoln today. Thought I'd missed my chance, but it was still playing twice a day at my area theater. Pretty good.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:38 PM

147 posts, read 228,890 times
Skyfall this afternoon.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:16 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
I last saw Aliens (Alien 2) -- EXCELLENT -- Like part 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott
A great movie. Rumored to be getting a remake. I hope they don't do it. it's a classic.
remake??????

GIMME A ^%%^% BREAK!!!!!!!!!!

I wont watch it!!

Old 02-03-2013, 06:11 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Idiocracy............a great documentary about modern day USA.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:13 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times
Little Miss Sunshine, nice movie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies