Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 04:07 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,274,546 times

Advertisements

My husband and I like to watch movies, but we really like to steer away from those with a lot of profanity, sex and violence. The profanity bothers me more than anything Does anyone have any recommendations, besides obviously those that are G-rated and marketed for children?? I don't care if it's current or old. Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 05:45 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,656,344 times
A current one out of dvd I really enjoyed with my kiddos is Ben Stiller's Night at the Museum. That gave us lots of laughs. Also last night we all watched The Pursuit of Happyness with Will Smith with his son Jaden Smith. My daughter who is a bit older really liked it and cried along with me over the whole thing. It was very inspirational and she loved the fact that it was a true story with hope and courage.

Nanny McPhee is really good to for a family flick as well.
I also love Narnia but that could be deemed to violent for a young child and I also love Lemony Snickets, Jim Carey is so good in that.

Good luck in finding a good flick to rent.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:00 PM

661 posts, read 2,897,502 times
I took a look through my collection to see what was good without alot of sex and violence and I actually found some!

I don't know if you have Netflix - if so you can find the plots on their website. If not, they can be found on imdb.com.

I'm not saying they're totally devoid of any profanity, but there's very little in these movies.

Big Fish
Secondhand Lions
The Village
Legends of the Fall
Finding Neverland
Signs
What Dreams May Come
Stand By Me
Edward Scissorhands
Benny & Joon
Forrest Gump
Life is Beautiful
Photographing Fairies - an obscure movie that is one of my all time favorites. It came out around the time as some other movie about the Cotswold fairies, but it's different and very beautiful.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:49 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
I mentioned in another thread "The World's Fastest Indian" starring Sir Anthony Hopkins as a man pursuing the dream of his life, very well done and a true story.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:31 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,170,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
My husband and I like to watch movies, but we really like to steer away from those with a lot of profanity, sex and violence. The profanity bothers me more than anything Does anyone have any recommendations, besides obviously those that are G-rated and marketed for children?? I don't care if it's current or old. Thanks for any suggestions.
How about the old Doris Day movies? And the Blake Edwards Pink Panther series? I could go on....

Hard to find a film these days without any of the aforementioned offensive issues. Sad, huh? We're a jaded society.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:04 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,096,684 times
There is a cute movie in the theaters now called, "Are We Done Yet?". I intended to see something else, but got the showtimes mixed up. Rather than wait another 25 minutes, I chose to see that one. I thought it might be a dumb waste of time and entertainment bucks, but I laughed often and enjoyed it quite a lot.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:22 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,903,878 times
If you have cable, watch Turner Classic Movies. They have an outstanding collection of old films and nearly all of them would suit you. It's one of my favorite channels as I'm a big movie fan and love the oldies.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:10 PM

550 posts, read 2,826,163 times
I am a HUGE move buff. Here are the ones off the top of my head that I would recommend;

Big
Are We There Yet
The Princess Bride
Home Alone
The Polar Express
Eight Below
Paradise Road - Adult
Dances With Wolves - Adult
Rain Man - Adult
The Never Ending Story
Open Water - Adult thriller. One boob scene.
Dirty Dancing - The original by far!
Save the Last Dance
The Abis
Agent Cody Banks
About Schmidt - Wonderful if you like Jack Nicholson
Along Came Polly - Adult
Babel - Very emotional but fantastic movie!
Bend it Like Beckham
Big White - Adult - Has swearing due to tourette syndrome but is a great performance by Robin Williams
Forest Gump - A classic!
Bridget Jones's Diary - part one and two. Very funny!
Calendar Girls - Adult
Cold Mountain - Some war violence but very well done.
Dante's Peak - Adult thriller
The Day After Tomorrow - Adult - Makes you think!
The Devils Arithmetic - Sad but very well done history.
Elf
Expecting - A great movie about the birth at home with friends and family process.
Ferris Beullers Day Off - Classic!
Freaky Friday - Kids.
The Gods Must be Crazy - This movie will have you laughing through the whole thing! (Well, in the beginning there is a shooting scene that is based around politics but the graphics are very bad and you can fast forward through that part if you want.) It is a VERY funny movie about a bush man who is trying to get rid of an evil bottle that was sent from the gods from heaven (thrown out of a plane) by throwing it off the edge of the earth.
I am Sam
Indiana Jones - All are classics!
March of the Penguins
The Mask
Million Dollar Baby - Adult
Never Cry Wolf - Movie/Documentary. Funny, funny.
Pee Wee's Big Adventure - Another must see classic!
Pink Panther - The original is so funny. The new one wasn't very good.
Poseidon - Surprisingly good.
Problem Child - My kids LOVE this movie!
Ray - Adult
Riding in Cars With Boys - Adult
Rose Red - Adult/Thriller
RV - Another funny Robin Williams movie
The Sure Thing - Adult/Classic
War of the Worlds - Surprisingly minimal violent for the most part. (Assuming vaporizing isn't violent.)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit - Family
Willy Wonka - The original with Gene Wilder. Better than the Johnny Depp version. (Sorry sweetie, you know I love ya!)
World Trade Center - Adult
Brother Bear - Family

Well, I could go on for ever. I hope you find something in my list!

Skoe

Old 04-28-2007, 11:26 AM

6 posts, read 32,803 times
Good post. My mother and I were talking about movies having so much profanity in them. I wish you could buy edited versions like they have for tv.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:34 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,232,179 times
John Candy never made a movie that I was ashamed to have my kids see (when they were younger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies