Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 12:15 PM

719 posts, read 2,621,205 times

Advertisements

Ramble Tamble/CCR, Man in the Green Shirt/Weather Report, Black Dog/Zep, Money/Floyd, The Bomber, and Take a Look Around/James Gang, Teaser/Tommy Bolin, Bad Motorscooter/Ronnie Montrose, Burn/Deep Purple, Mountain Jam/Allman Bros.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:22 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,424,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
As to defining Hippie songs.. How do we describe the stuff done in the last 40yrs by people like C,S,N & Y, Donovan, Dylan, Grateful Dead and all those 60s Hippies?? Are they Hippie songs? or are they songs sung by Hippies?... It`s a fine line I suppose...
It depends on the era of the original performance I'd suggest. Donovan, Dylan, the Dead, members of the Byrds/Buffalo Springfield who partly became C,S,N & Y all had good roots in the folk/protest era which you could trace back to Guthrie and Seeger. From the folk scene came the folk rock scene which blended in with the British invasion and then hippie. The people behind the music would still qualify as residents of the era but that era was over.

Maybe what I'm really trying to get across is that as a member of the "me" decade, we never once used the term hippie as applied to the music of the day.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:43 AM

12 posts, read 12,000 times
"Anyone like Those 70's Hippie Songs"

No. They went out with tie-dies and psychodellically painted vans, dude.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:52 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,599,210 times
A very detailed and interesting article and not too far of topic I hope.. although a little overblown maybe
An extract:
" For a brief period in the 1980’s the Hippie lifestyle seemed passé and years out of style, but it re-charged itself vigorously in the 1990’s. Even though the media tends to anachronize young hippies, Rainbows and environmentalists as remnants of the 1960’s, anyone can see by looking at the photos that accompany this article that Hippiedom is really just a perennial sub-culture…as old as the first humans that ever walked upright, and as new as the 30,000 plus members on the Hip-Planet site.
That’s why hippies will never go away…because they’ve always been here anyway."

Hippie Roots & The Perennial Subculture Archives - Hippiedom - Hippyland

Old 06-06-2008, 03:51 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,071,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
It depends on the era of the original performance I'd suggest. Donovan, Dylan, the Dead, members of the Byrds/Buffalo Springfield who partly became C,S,N & Y all had good roots in the folk/protest era which you could trace back to Guthrie and Seeger. From the folk scene came the folk rock scene which blended in with the British invasion and then hippie. The people behind the music would still qualify as residents of the era but that era was over.

Maybe what I'm really trying to get across is that as a member of the "me" decade, we never once used the term hippie as applied to the music of the day.
Yes.
Also, I was a little young, about 14 in 1968, but I know I never used the term 'hippie.' We were all freaks. Like the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
A very detailed and interesting article and not too far of topic I hope.. although a little overblown maybe
An extract:
" For a brief period in the 1980’s the Hippie lifestyle seemed passé and years out of style, but it re-charged itself vigorously in the 1990’s. Even though the media tends to anachronize young hippies, Rainbows and environmentalists as remnants of the 1960’s, anyone can see by looking at the photos that accompany this article that Hippiedom is really just a perennial sub-culture…as old as the first humans that ever walked upright, and as new as the 30,000 plus members on the Hip-Planet site.
That’s why hippies will never go away…because they’ve always been here anyway."
Yes.
Several years ago, I visited my younger kid's high school (which also had been my own) and I felt as if I had walked into some sort of time warp, because everyone looked and acted as I had in 1970--and some of them really seemed sincere, not just playing dress-up.

Anyone remember this 1969 song?

Where Do You Go To, My Lovely?

Old 06-06-2008, 04:54 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,599,210 times
Who could forget that one eh?? It had a big revival over here in the 90s, it was heard everywhere..I liked this too,,
YouTube - Frozen Orange Juice....Peter Sarstedt
He comes from a very musical family with two well known brothers,,Here they are..

YouTube - EDEN KANE - Forget me not - 1960

YouTube - Robin Sarstedt, Sitting Here In Limbo

Last edited by LINCOLNSHIRE; 06-06-2008 at 05:14 AM.. Reason: add

Old 06-07-2008, 06:42 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,628,677 times
I also enjoyed listening to T.Rex and J. Tull... The Eagles and Bonnie Raitt.
A little of Stevie Wonder and Peter Frampton. Soo many.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:31 AM

65 posts, read 181,458 times
James Taylor-Sweet Baby James
John Fogelberg- Longer and Phoenix
Seals & Croft-Hummingbird
The Eagles-Desparado
John Denver-Rocky Mountain High
Foghat-Slow Ride
Janis Joplin-Cry Baby

Then there are songs by Rod Stewart, Three Dog Night, Doobie Brothers and on and on and on....................

Old 06-08-2008, 09:01 AM

18,253 posts, read 25,921,494 times
Sadly, he didn't have any impact in the States other than his 45 Where Do You Go To My Lovely, from the Spring of '69. Just thought of one that is absolutely a hippie song; Doctor Hook's The Cover Of The Rolling Stone, from '73.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:54 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,701,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Sadly, he didn't have any impact in the States other than his 45 Where Do You Go To My Lovely, from the Spring of '69. Just thought of one that is absolutely a hippie song; Doctor Hook's The Cover Of The Rolling Stone, from '73.

"Gonna buy three copies for my mother..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.