Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 04:41 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,695,036 times

Advertisements

Back in 1982 for those who remember, when Huey Lewis and The News came out with their first hits (Do You believe In Love, Working For a Living), those hits, tho very popular, actually were not the ones that catapulted them to stardom; rather, it was the album Sports from the following year, that made them superstars. Sports was like a greatest hits album(tho i actually prefer the pre-Sports tunes).

For those who remember, did you feel that give it some time the news would all be superstars, or did your friends say that? What was the word about them back then? Or did you think they were just a bunch of one hit wonders? Were people buying the pre-Sports albums?

1982 was a bad year for me so I wasn't tuned in to The News at that time so this is why i ask
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 04:59 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,646,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Back in 1982 for those who remember, when Huey Lewis and The News came out with their first hits (Do You believe In Love, Working For a Living), those hits, tho very popular, actually were not the ones that catapulted them to stardom; rather, it was the album Sports from the following year, that made them superstars. Sports was like a greatest hits album(tho i actually prefer the pre-Sports tunes).

For those who remember, did you feel that give it some time the news would all be superstars, or did your friends say that? What was the word about them back then? Or did you think they were just a bunch of one hit wonders? Were people buying the pre-Sports albums?

1982 was a bad year for me so I wasn't tuned in to The News at that time so this is why i ask
I am a pretty big fan and always have been. I just did a series of posts in Anything Goes about them. They had a special or unique sound that I don't feel has ever been duplicated since. I recently heard Heart And Soul while at WAL-MART and started shuffling down the aisle as it played.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:01 PM

Oh yeah rlrl, I think Sports and the soundtrack for Back To The Future is what really launched them into stardom!

Old 02-06-2011, 05:10 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,996,226 times
Although, I wasn't alive back in '82...they may not have been considered one-hit-wonders back in the day, especially if Sports was considered to be the hit album and Huey Lewis and the News was to be the next big thing (like Duran Duran during that time). Kinda like how Lady Gaga keeps turning out hits nowadays and people thinks she's a superstar...she may be "Lady Gaga who?" in a few years from now. Who knows?...we'll just have to wait and see what happens!

Sorry, but she was the first person to pop into my head. I doubt that the Heart of Rock & Roll is still beating though.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:13 PM

Default oh yes

The Power Of Love I think cemented the impact of Sports. Actually, I like the 1982 Picture This album better than what came after because it's rougher and more rock/blues/soul and a little less commercial.

They are going to be here in NY this coming Wednesday night but I just don't have the funds and i have some things jamming me up at that time. if I had the bread I would definitely go see them

and nothing paints a better picture of the late summer/early fall of 1986 than "Stuck With You", it's been 25 years but i still can't get that song out of my head!!

I lost them after that when they did "Perfect World", I heard at that time they started to dry up

Old 02-06-2011, 05:17 PM

Default yes

their sound blended doo wop, R&B, Beach Boys, bar band blues, often in to then- trendy styles like Journey, Pat Benatar, Squeeze, Southside Johnny, Graham Parker

and they were catchy as hell!!

Old 02-06-2011, 05:19 PM

Sheesh, you said it man. Check out Huey's harmonica skills. They are on par with the best of them. I read an article that back when he was in college while waiting for the bus he would play for extra money on the street corner or curb. That is how got so good. Boy is he ever a good harmonica player!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N2CA...eature=related

Old 02-06-2011, 05:21 PM

Default trouble is

with a name like Lady Gaga, it's hard for me to even ask a question like "what style is her music?" because the name is so yeech!!

same for Busta Rhymes

and i thought Buster Poindexter was an annoying name!!

Old 02-06-2011, 05:31 PM

Default what did Rolling Stone mean by this?

In reviewing the News' first debut album from 1980, this is what they said:

"attempt to create power pop/surf music merger, fumbled on both ends. No pop in their power, no sting to their harmonies, AND THIS AIN"T THE RETURN OF 'PIPELINE' EITHER".

i can see RS didn't care for the debut, but what on earth are they referring to when they say "pipeline?"

Old 02-06-2011, 05:36 PM

I'd take it as they were also classified as Roots Rockers and borrowed heavily from that early sound. You could never really put your finger on it. It is what it is/was and will be. Pretty catchy tunes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbYQXmWrtpA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music