Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 02:09 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,595,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
That's such a misconception. For me it has nothing to do with being angry lol. I just like the sound. I also love classical music and play the piano. I see a huge correlation between classical music and metal. If you listen to all the banging in a Beethoven song, for example. TSO has done a wonderful job translating classical music into the metal world.
That's a good point. I have heard of metal that's classically oriented and some of it could just be the energy or passion of the thing. Maybe that sounds "angry" in my ears, but I could see how it isn't really.

Still even if I can be aware of that intellectually for me it generally doesn't work. Different strokes, etc but nice defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 03:30 AM

836 posts, read 1,495,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
What I've noticed in three years on CD. The music forum is basically hard rock and metal.
I don't have a TV, but listen to music on my stereo or to online radio stations.
Hard rock and metal are two kinds that don't appeal to me. Rarely, does a Music Forum thread appeal to me.
Wow, I don't find this true at all. There are threads here for blues, classical, bluegrass, disco, motown, gospel, country, film scores, dance music, hip-hop and metal... and I'm probably missing some there!... and then we have the "What song are you listening to?" - type threads, where you are likely to find ANYTHING from Woody Guthrie to NWA to Judas Priest, at any given time. Threads that don't appeal to me, I don't read. Some get more posts than others, true; but if it was all Metal all the time, I wouldn't be here. I like metal, but I like a little of everything else too. I think most people here would share that sentiment.

If anything I'd say we do tend to go a little heavy on classic rock (I am guilty of that), but hell, it's called "classic" for a reason!

Old 02-20-2011, 03:37 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,141,970 times
Quote:
What I've noticed in three years on CD. The music forum is basically hard rock and metal.
I don't have a TV, but listen to music on my stereo or to online radio stations.
Hard rock and metal are two kinds that don't appeal to me. Rarely, does a Music Forum thread appeal to me.
I don't agree either.

There are plenty of threads for different genre and you can always create your own!

I think there is a great range on this site of different music -- not sure what type of music you're into -- post some, you might be pleasantly surprised !

Old 02-20-2011, 04:24 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,641,509 times
Quote:
There is a pretty wide range of music discussed in this forum. I'm not sure why you say it's mostly hard rock and metal?

Why not start a few threads about music you enjoy. You'll be suprised there may be a lot more fans of what you like than you think.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:33 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,141,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
Hmmmm, married, white, FEMALE and under 40. Yes I do live in the suburbs though.
ha ha I should add:

Not married, white, female, and under 40, do not live in suburbia

Old 02-20-2011, 04:50 PM

1,022 posts, read 11,564,080 times
Quote:
I understand what you're trying to say. Frankly most wouldn't notice unless the majority of posters posted Rap, Classical, Country, Jazz, Electro music etc and it variants even with a variety of Other threads present.

You're saying (I think) that if a Rocker constantly saw Rap music posted between styles that person enjoyed, then the conclusion would be that the forum was primary a Rap Forum and its sub-genres.

There are other styles present but it cannot be denied that the majority of the posters prefer Rock or its variants as opposed to say Blues, R&B etc. The overall orientation IS Rock. (Classic, Soft, Hard etc).

I would start a thread with the style of music you enjoy and hopefully there are others who would contribute within THAT style so the flow would be primarily music you like without bumping into a style that does nothing for you.

Last edited by KnightShadow; 02-20-2011 at 05:43 PM..

Old 02-20-2011, 05:26 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,662,772 times
Quote:
I never liked Guns & Roses. During that era (the 1980s) I preferred New Wave, the remnants of Punk, and Goth.
There's not just one but two 80's music threads going on here currently and yeap there are threads for New Wave, Punk and Goth as well currently being posted on that you were implying about .

Old 02-20-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post

Surely there are threads by saucy, 6 Foot, myself and others where you can share your musical tastes with everyone.....
Hmm ... who's that saucy that you mentioned

Old 02-20-2011, 05:46 PM

18,250 posts, read 25,918,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
Hmm ... who's that saucy that you mentioned
Ooh, me thinks I know!

I'm 60 years old and proud to admit it! I also admit to seeing AC/DC on their last tour. And I have a few Metallica items. And, and, and,

But seriously, I'm all over the board when it comes to tunes. 50's rock, Motown, British Invasion, Progressive, Classic rock, older country, folk, bluegrass, jazz, etc.

It's all about tunes!

Old 02-20-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Ooh, me thinks I know!

I'm 60 years old and proud to admit it! I also admit to seeing AC/DC on their last tour. And I have a few Metallica items. And, and, and,

But seriously, I'm all over the board when it comes to tunes. 50's rock, Motown, British Invasion, Progressive, Classic rock, older country, folk, bluegrass, jazz, etc.

It's all about tunes!
Well i say thank god for hard rocking ''Zeppelin Boomers'' like yourself Double H and i'm proud to say that i'm an 40 something ''MTV Boomer'' as i know that when i'm 60 i'll still be listening to Blondie, Flock of Seagulls and Def Leppard just to name a few
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music