Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 06:02 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,611,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
What I've noticed in three years on CD. The music forum is basically hard rock and metal.
I don't have a TV, but listen to music on my stereo or to online radio stations.
Hard rock and metal are two kinds that don't appeal to me. Rarely, does a Music Forum thread appeal to me.
I've gotten bold enough to start, or revive, threads at the Music Forum. (Although I remember I had started a thread on African-American rock musicians last year for Black History Month) If you have any genre you'd like a thread for I'll see if we have one that can be bumped or about starting one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 06:12 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,684,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Well, I guess you can't really open a 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's music thread, a 'what are you listening to RIGHT NOW, anything goes, most romantic, favorite songs evarrr thread' without seeing classic, hard rock or heavy metal in there somewhere..lol
It's terrible as i'll even see a heavy metal song in the Disco thread .....

Old 02-22-2011, 06:20 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,166,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
With you on this one.

Do not like heavy metal at all.

For me I mix it up from a day of classic rock to soft rock then to some country etc.

From my favs like Styx, Journey, Kiss, Foreigner, Journey, Bon Jovi, Eric Clapton, Journey, Eagles, to Garth, Diamond Rio, Raschal Flatts.

Toss in a little MJ once in a while and some others from the late 70's and early 80's and I am good to go.

For me I do not like heavy metal or rap music.

So I guess I am not in the idea of hard rock and metal as the OP suggested.

I'll pretty much quote you and agree, except for Garth and Rascal Flatts.

I'm much more a hair band kinda girl - Poison, Motley Crue, etc., but I also love me some Kiss, Ozzy, Metallica, Bad Company, Deep Purple, Journey and bands like that.

I like some Pat Benatar too, Lynyrd Skynyrd (did I spell that wrong??) and also some music from 90's on - Nickelback, Candelbox, Green Day.

I don't like the heavy, heavy metal though.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:10 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,954,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlerMCMLV View Post
I like to listen to various kinds of music but my first and deepest music love is, was, and always will be the blues.
The Blues is the basis for everything even if one doesn't like the Blues per se.
Quote:
What I've noticed in three years on CD. The music forum is basically hard rock and metal.
You are right. It's in the music stores too. Walk into any guitar store and listen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Still even if I can be aware of that intellectually for me it generally doesn't work. Different strokes, etc but nice defense.
Metal isn't necessarily dumb, but it is dominated by a certain guitar tone (extremely "fat, scooped mids") which the musicians love. The "dumbness" of a piece is more related to its composition, and that's open to the creativity of the people involved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
I have spent some time in the Music forum and really there seems to be threads for every genre...and active posters in each of those threads.
Really? I've been searching.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:01 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,611,852 times
And now for a lark music that should be, I think, among the least similar to hard rock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8sNu...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRGX9fHVhHQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8xt09LEdsM

Old 02-22-2011, 08:07 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,744,773 times
Eh, I listen to country, jazz, blues oriented rock, easy listening...

but it seems like few others are interested in that kind of thing. I've even seen people sneering at "country music" as the music of "hicks". The jazz I listen to is mostly instrumental. Blues, I suppose, isn't complained about much, but easy listening?

Gordon Lightfoot, America, Don McLean, Leo Sayer? People think I'm an old fogey. Maybe I am.

I like music that I can sing, and honestly, a lot of music is out of my range. I can't sing Journey, REO, Judas Priest, Bob Seger...the notes are too high for me.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:25 AM

19,782 posts, read 20,373,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
It's terrible as i'll even see a heavy metal song in the Disco thread .....
GASP! The Horror! hahahhahhahahha

Old 02-22-2011, 04:16 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,653,366 times
Quote:
I don't have a TV, but listen to music on my stereo or to online radio stations.
Hard rock and metal are two kinds that don't appeal to me. Rarely, does a Music Forum thread appeal to me.
I like all kinds of Rock, Metal and Blues! Maybe a pinch of Country with a Rock feel. Yes..... PUT ME DOWN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoIHO...eature=related

Old 02-22-2011, 04:30 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,653,366 times
Do you see how this works with the theme? Of course you could just do Celene Dion! Nadda chance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go2Js...layer_embedded

Old 02-22-2011, 06:27 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,606,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bad-John View Post
I like all kinds of Rock, Metal and Blues! Maybe a pinch of Country with a Rock feel. Yes..... PUT ME DOWN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoIHO...eature=related

I cannot because you have good taste!

And to make sure this thread is on topic....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP3cAJ95FwI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music