Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was the greater rock band?
Led Zeppelin 51 58.62%
The Who 36 41.38%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,017 times

Advertisements

Even in their prime, The Who were over-rated. They had 8-10 good songs, and after that, in concert, it was mostly just noise. Their shows featured a tremendous amount of distortion and feedback for no discernible purpose, and a lot of attitude, anger and chaos, but so what? The Who often sounded like a punk-rock band. If you liked punk-rock, then you thought their sound was great, but what they were doing was not true blues-based rock n' roll. The Who's attempts to create psuedo-intellectual "rock operas" were mostly a complete and muddled mess. A song about a deaf, mute, blind boy who plays pinball machines? Ummm...I think I'd rather listen to Stairway To Heaven, or perhaps Dazed And Confused, thank you.

Led Zeppelin was able to transport their concert audiences to another, higher level; to enthrall and mesmerize people, and to do so in an interesting, exciting and dramatic way. There was something "magical" going on at a Led Zeppelin concert. Jimi Hendrix and the Rolling Stones, each in their own unique way, were able to do the same thing at their shows. The Who was incapable of reaching this higher level during their concerts.

It's worth noting that Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones have each sold more than twice as many albums as the Who. Collectively, both bands have outsold The Who by about a 4.5 to 1 margin. It's also worth mentioning that the Stones and The Who have each been together--on and off--for nearly 50 years. Led Zeppelin was only together for 12 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 10:20 PM

229 posts, read 208,927 times
50/50.....

Tie!

Future musicians borrowed heavily from both.

No Who....no Van Halen or Rush.

No Jimmy Page...No Eddie Van Halen either.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:34 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,028,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagefan1555 View Post

Led Zeppelin was able to transport their concert audiences to another, higher level; to enthrall and mesmerize people, and to do so in an interesting, exciting and dramatic way. There was something "magical" going on at a Led Zeppelin concert. Jimi Hendrix and the Rolling Stones, each in their own unique way, were able to do the same thing at their shows. The Who was incapable of reaching this higher level during their concerts.
Well this is very subjective, but I've heard Zeppelin's live album The Song Remains the Same, and it didn't do much for me. The Who's Live at Leeds and Live at the Isle of Wight albums, however, are incredible. The bass/drum work on those albums alone is simply inhuman.

I've always preferred the Who for their songwriting. One thing both bands have in common is that their biggest songs are ridiculously overplayed. So for LZ I usually reach for Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti, and for the who usually Sell Out, Quadrophenia, or Pete's first two solo albums.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:09 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times
hmmm..Well if 'My Generation' or "Happy Jack' is still being played in 2100 on classics radio or whatrever they got then well then we'll know for sure....time will tell......'Tattoo' not too shabby either.... ancient riffs sometimes hang around........ And who wouldn't want to keep listenng to MaryAnne.............;-)...............

Old 07-10-2014, 09:37 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,939,384 times
Zeppelin was the best at playing the Blues, but the Who were the best live band of all time, they were groundbreaking innovators, and they created the most ambitious and wide ranging art.

Both bands were something special, but the Who get my vote.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:56 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,717 times
They're both awesome! I think it also depends if you've seen either group in concert ? Very different experience than listening to a CD, iPod, etc. because it's the experience

LZ and The Who are both huge talents. If I had to choose it would be Led Zeppelin no other band has been this amazing to me, still to this day I can remember buying their fourth album and hearing Black Dog for the first time (early 70s) and just not believing the awesome talent I was hearing ! Made such an impression on me, like off the radar screen !

Even today when I listen to them and crank it up, I'm like whoa, just as powerful and awestruck as the first time I listened to them 40 years ago !

I've seen them in concert and it was by far the most awesome and powerful concert I've ever been to, felt like I was on a different planet ! Amazing experience My fav's they played Kashmir, Song Remains the Same, Trampled Under Foot, Whole Lotta Love, Stairway to Heaven, etc. Every song, the entire concert ! Thankfully, they played a long time

Old 07-17-2014, 09:39 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times
and for the who usually Sell Out, Quadrophenia, or Pete's
first two solo albums.
[/quote]

All real good. I hope 'Sell Out' never ever goes 'out of print'!

Old 07-17-2014, 10:27 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
The Who...... NO TWO WAYS ABOUT IT

Old 07-17-2014, 10:38 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Not to diss The Who, I like a few of their songs, but Led Zeppelin easily wins this one.....
Listen to this & tell me what The Who has that can compete.......

When the Levee Break's Lyrics - YouTube

Old 07-17-2014, 11:48 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,717 times
You know there really isn't a wrong answer here. They're both really talented, but different. Music is so personal, it's whatever speaks to you and you connect with.

Both groups I admire and respect for their ultra talent and both have given so much to the music world !

Rock on ! & Blessings music people !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music