Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 05:20 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,069,742 times

Advertisements

Glen Campbell was & still is my favorite country artist. I have a few of his albums dating back before he hit it big in the mid 60s. A few of my favorite songs of his that were not hits are "mary in the morning", "sitting on the dock of the bay" & "homeward bound". He will be dearly missed. May he RIP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 05:55 PM

16,955 posts, read 16,801,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Losing Chris Cornell (Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, Audioslave) and Chester Bennington (Linkin Park) under tragic circumstances has been sad. The loss of Glen Campbell could be the saddest and the biggest lost. Campbell, learning of his terminal illness years ago, concluded his brilliant career with grace and spent his remaining years with understanding.

Thank you, Glen, for the music. You will be missed.

Great Tribute Carolina. May Glen RIP.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:17 PM

50,445 posts, read 64,284,255 times
If you can, watch the documentary on him on Netflix. It's about his last performances after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's. So poignant.

He was a treasure.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:32 PM

77,771 posts, read 105,032,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Glen Campbell, 'Rhinestone Cowboy' singer, dead at 81

Condolences to his family.

My mother started watching him on television in the late 1960s.

I still have all of his albums (inherited from my mother).

I remember watching the documentary about his last tour. Audiences were very patient....they just wanted a chance to connect with him.

RIP Glen .
I remember he video as well. It was about 3 years ago. He was my daughters first crush. She was about 10 I am guessing and her bedroom was plastered with his pictures and posters. Yes, it was the late 60s. He started as a replacement for the Beach boys for summer. I remember when our daughter wanted to see his TV show live but had to be 12 and she was only 10. When she was 12 we took her to see him live and also her dad took her to a concert with Glen and Ann Murray in Long Beach, Ca.

Prayers to his family, rest for him and now he is out of his suffering.

I just noticed on FOX he did an album just last June. I think it is called Farewell. We will be buying the CD asap.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:50 PM

19,623 posts, read 9,608,736 times
I remember stopping at a restaurant with my folks many years ago and checking out the jukebox when this girl said to me in a very southern accent, "I like Glen Campbell". While I was more into rock music, I was at least familiar with the name and some songs. His collaboration with The Beach Boys and my occasional tv viewing of shows he hosted/co-hosted and/or appeared as guest on helped in that respect. I may have watched portions of the movie True Grit with my folks as well.

I'm glad that I was able to see one of his last musical performances on tv with one or two of his family members.

Sad to hear today of his passing

Old 08-08-2017, 06:54 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,194,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
My favorite song of his is "Wichita Lineman".
Great, but "Southern Nights" was my favorite. RIP

Old 08-08-2017, 07:14 PM

52,741 posts, read 48,088,482 times
Unhappy In Memoriam: Glen Campbell (1936 - 2017)

Before the singing career of Glen Travis Campbell really got going, did you know that he spent time as a member of The Wrecking Crew? Yep. He sure was. One of the earliest ventures of Glen's playing career was a stop in Los Angeles a session player with the legendary recording ensemble. You already know what Glen is famous for. It's been, in fact, fifty years since "Gentle On My Mind" came into the listening ears of many. Following that Grammy-winning song, he had that legendary collaboration with a singer-songwriter who was also getting his feet wet, a chap by the name of Jimmy Webb. The rest, you could say, is history.

We'll miss him and all that he'd brought to us through his voice and his guitar. Alzheimer's got to him, however, at 81, but his music will live on. Below is one of his later works, and also another collaboration with Jimmy Webb, this time on the Gospel side of things. Rest in peace, Glen!

Show Me Your Way - Glen Campbell / Anne Murray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3gLCeq9kS4

Old 08-08-2017, 08:21 PM

4,896 posts, read 4,846,270 times
Glen Campbell relocated down the road in Albuquerque in 1954-55 and stayed until 1960. He performed in numerous places around town and eventually had his own band. Folks older than me (yes, there are some) remember seeing him perform back then. He was greeted warmly every time he came back to perform.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:31 PM

5,267 posts, read 3,633,590 times
I'm just glad that the end came relatively quickly for him, considering his ailment almost merciful. A talent who just had "it". I was a rock & roller back then but he always had interesting musicians on his show & when I first saw him let loose on guitar... wow. RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqxv3DbXO4k

Last edited by Hefe; 08-08-2017 at 09:12 PM..

Old 08-08-2017, 09:45 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,360,446 times
R I P Glen Campbell. Glen’s contributions to country music (and music overall) cannot be overstated. He was a genuine representative of country-influenced music to the mainstream pop/rock audience, and a high-quality one at that.
He fought a long and hard battle. He’s on to better things. RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvswocNN-g8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music