Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 07:46 PM

634 posts, read 2,921,986 times

Advertisements

By the way, is there anyone buying the new Miley Cyrus CD for their kids here (or for themselves )?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 10:12 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun-Soo View Post
Actually Miley Cyrus has a big following among boys who think she's hot

and yes, get your son of 50 Cent music haha, that's not music. I wouldn't be caught dead with 50 Cent on my Ipod
I asked the 13 year old again if he or any of his friends at summer camp liked Miley Cyrus and he just laughed at me. Said that none of the boys at his camp (ages 10 to 15) are into her or think much about her. He did say that some of the girls like her though. He then went back to playing Guitar Hero on his 360.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:29 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
He then went back to playing Guitar Hero on his 360.
Speaking of bad trends among teens and music...

When I was teen --- heck, even just 5 years ago! --- kids who loved music went out and got real guitars and started real bands. Now they're plugged into the TV slapping buttons. Grrrr.

Seen Wall*E yet? The humans in that movie don't seem all that far away.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:10 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,110 times
My son likes to play Guitar Hero/Rock Band occasionally. But he is also a drummer - has been for two years and is forming a band with one of his friends. They are in the basement right now as I write, practicing Nirvana songs on real instruments.
I do think encouraging learning of music is a good thing, but don't have anything against the games either.
Last week he went to a week of Rock Band Camp and had a great time - but this was a real Rock Band Camp. They formed a band, learned 2 songs, wrote one, recorded a cd a the end of the week, then performed live at a bar and grill. Best experience ever for them. They are now hooked .
Usually kids are influenced musically wise by either their parents, or friends. I would have to say my son has ended up listening to what I listen to. Alternative/punk.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:06 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,854,475 times
As a parent of a 9 and 12 year old, I am glad they like the groups mentioned. Let kids be kids. No, it is not my style as an adult, but let them have the teeny bopper stuff when they are at that age. This group of kids seems to be more grounded than the Britney/Aguilera group that preceded them.

When I was a kid it was the Partridge Family, Osmonds, Bobby Sherman. My older brothers made horrible fun of me, but hey, I was seven or eight. Let kids be kids. To the mom who is proud of her elementary aged children liking artists targeted for the high school/college crowd: Back off, they grow up too fast as it is.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:29 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Speaking of bad trends among teens and music...

When I was teen --- heck, even just 5 years ago! --- kids who loved music went out and got real guitars and started real bands. Now they're plugged into the TV slapping buttons. Grrrr.

Seen Wall*E yet? The humans in that movie don't seem all that far away.
Havent seen Wall E but heard a lot about it and how humans were portrayed in it.

Todays teens are the same as all teens other than the availability of video games, those who want to play music, play music. My teen found my Kramer Focus guitar in the garage so now he's taking lessons and is loving the crybaby wah wah pedal and effects that I have. Now he wants to play like Stevie Ray Vaughn, Buddy Guy and Tom Morello.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I have kids ranging in age from 14 to 3. They HATE --- and I mean HATE all the Disney Channel/Nickelodeon/teenie-pop bands.

My oldest daughter (14) listens mostly to Evanescence and Paramore. Not my cup of tea exactly, but I'm so grateful she isn't into any of the Disney/Nick/teenie-bop bands.

The boys and my other daughter (12, 11, 10) are into:

Social Distortion
Dropkick Murphys
The Clash
The Ramones
The Alarm
Rancid
Queen
The Police
Joan Jett
Bowling for Soup

I'm trying to introduce Johnny Cash to the repertoire, but it isn't taking yet. My son recently found out that Mike Ness of Social D is a huge Johnny Cash fan, so at least his mind is a bit more open now.

My son (in 3rd grade) took his guitar to music class a few months ago and played a Bowling For Soup song for the class. I think he's got about five prom dates lined up already.
We just saw the Dropkick Murphys when they opened for The Offspring Saturday night. Talk about a blast.....

Old 07-28-2008, 09:07 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
We just saw the Dropkick Murphys when they opened for The Offspring Saturday night. Talk about a blast.....
Cool! Then maybe you can answer a question for me.

How child friendly is a Dropkick Murphys show? My 13 year old is begging to go, but his mom and I are reluctant. I'm not worried about the band. The kids listen to their music. I'm more worried about the behavior of the audience. Did the audience in the show you were at behave themselves pretty well?

Old 07-28-2008, 11:50 AM

The main thing that would determine if I were going to take my son (15) to a Dropkick Murphys show where they headlined would be size of venue. The concert we went to Saturday was at a huge amphitheater. It was an all day concert that involved a lot of bands. Long day. Anyway, the reason why I would think about the size of the venue is that the crowd that will be there will be fairly out of control if our crowd was any indication. I don't think the fact that The Offspring was there too was the reason. Dropkicks get the crowd very worked up. Add alcohol to the mix and college guys who like to get rough when they mosh.....
So did the audience behave? Not really - more than once were guys taken down by security, tied, and hauled out.
I think most of the time when they are in Denver, they are playing at venues he wouldn't be able to go to anyway - many of the concerts are 16+.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:43 AM

634 posts, read 2,921,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
As a parent of a 9 and 12 year old, I am glad they like the groups mentioned. Let kids be kids. No, it is not my style as an adult, but let them have the teeny bopper stuff when they are at that age. This group of kids seems to be more grounded than the Britney/Aguilera group that preceded them.

A lot of the teenybopper singers/bands that are popular are apart of Disney. Also labels have found out that the tween/teen market is hot right now and have worked to keep their teen singers in line.

They want to keep the fanbase of tweens and younger unlike they did with past teen idols like Christina and Britney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music