Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2024, 10:44 AM

2,979 posts, read 1,565,458 times

Advertisements

Born Today:

1960 - Michael Hutchence, singer, songwriter from Australian rock band INXS, who had the 1988 UK No.2 & US No.1 single 'Need You Tonight'. Their 1987 album Kick has sold over 10m copies in the US alone and features four Top 10 singles; 'Need You Tonight,' 'Devil Inside', 'New Sensation,' and 'Never Tear Us Apart.' INXS has sold over 55 million records worldwide. Hutchence was found dead in his hotel suite in Sydney on 22nd Nov 1997 age 37.

1949 - Steve Perry, vocals, Journey, who had the 1982 US No.2 single 'Open Arms', and the solo 1984 US No.3 hit single, Oh, Sherrie'.

1947 - English fashion designer and music manager Malcolm Mclaren. He was a promoter and manager for punk rock and new wave bands such as New York Dolls, Sex Pistols, Adam and the Ants, and Bow Wow Wow, and was an early commercial architect of the punk subculture. His first album, Duck Rock (1982) spawned the top-ten singles 'Buffalo Gals' and 'Double Dutch'. He died aged 64 from cancer on 8 April 2010.

1931 - American singer, songwriter, and entrepreneur Sam Cooke who had the 1957 US No.1 & UK No.29 single 'You Send Me' and a 1986 UK No.2 single with 'Wonderful World', (which was first released in 1960). He began singing as a child and joined The Soul Stirrers before moving to a solo career. Cooke died on December 11th 1964 at the Hacienda Motel, at 9137 South Figueroa Street, in Los Angeles, California after he sustained a gunshot wound to the chest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2024, 03:26 PM

Born Today:

1947 - American singer, songwriter Warren Zevon. During the early 1970s, Zevon toured regularly with the Everly Brothers as keyboard player, band leader, and musical coordinator. During his career he recorded over 15 solo albums. He is best known for his 1978 single 'Werewolves Of London' taken from his third studio album Excitable Boy. Zevon died on September 7th 2003 aged 56.

1941 - American singer-songwriter Neil Diamond. He has had ten No. 1 singles on the US chart including 'Cracklin' Rose', 'Song Sung Blue' and 'You Don't Bring Me Flowers' and has sold more than 130 million records worldwide. Diamond wrote 'I'm A Believer', the No.1 for The Monkees. Many acts from Elvis Presley, Lulu, Cliff Richard and Deep Purple have all covered his songs. With his 2008 album ‘Home Before Dark’ Diamond became the oldest artist to have a US No.1, the record was previously held by Bob Dylan in 2006 with ‘Modern Times’.

1941 - American country and pop singer-songwriter Ray Stevens, who had the Grammy-winning 1970 US No.1 & UK No.6 single 'Everything Is Beautiful' and scored the 1974 US & UK No.1 single 'The Streak'. He has worked as a producer, music arranger, songwriter, television host, and solo artist; and was inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame.

Old 01-24-2024, 04:14 PM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benshaton View Post
Born Today:

1947 - American singer, songwriter Warren Zevon. During the early 1970s, Zevon toured regularly with the Everly Brothers as keyboard player, band leader, and musical coordinator. During his career he recorded over 15 solo albums. He is best known for his 1978 single 'Werewolves Of London' taken from his third studio album Excitable Boy. Zevon died on September 7th 2003 aged 56.

1941 - American singer-songwriter Neil Diamond. He has had ten No. 1 singles on the US chart including 'Cracklin' Rose', 'Song Sung Blue' and 'You Don't Bring Me Flowers' and has sold more than 130 million records worldwide. Diamond wrote 'I'm A Believer', the No.1 for The Monkees. Many acts from Elvis Presley, Lulu, Cliff Richard and Deep Purple have all covered his songs. With his 2008 album ‘Home Before Dark’ Diamond became the oldest artist to have a US No.1, the record was previously held by Bob Dylan in 2006 with ‘Modern Times’.

1941 - American country and pop singer-songwriter Ray Stevens, who had the Grammy-winning 1970 US No.1 & UK No.6 single 'Everything Is Beautiful' and scored the 1974 US & UK No.1 single 'The Streak'. He has worked as a producer, music arranger, songwriter, television host, and solo artist; and was inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame.
Also today, and it was highlighted on a station I heard on the way home from work:

Balance, the tenth studio album by Van Halen, was released on January 24, 1995. The album is the last of the band's four studio releases to feature Sammy Hagar as the lead singer. It is also the final Van Halen album to feature bassist Michael Anthony in its entirety.

Old 01-25-2024, 01:00 PM

10,118 posts, read 1,025,087 times
January 25 - "Jailhouse Rock" is #1 on pop charts.

Old 01-26-2024, 03:26 PM

Born on this day - 1955

Eddie Van Halen, Dutch guitarist with Van Halen who had the 1984 US No.1 & UK No. 7 single 'Jump'. His guitar solo in the track 'Eruption' was voted No.2 on Guitar World magazine's readers poll of the 100 Greatest Guitar Solos. Halen also played the guitar solo on Michael Jackson's 'Beat It'. Van Halen died on 6 October 2020 at the age of 65, the Dutch-American musician had been receiving treatment for throat cancer. Van Halen have sold more than 80 million worldwide, making them one of the best-selling groups of all time.

Old 01-28-2024, 09:45 AM

2023 - American singer and songwriter Barrett Strong died at home in the La Jolla district of San Diego, California, aged 81. He was the first artist to record a hit for Motown Records and Norman Whitfield wrote some of the most successful and critically acclaimed soul songs ever to be released by Motown, including, 'Money', 'I Heard It Through the Grapevine', 'Wherever I Lay My Hat (That's My Home)', 'War', 'Ball Of Confusion', and 'Papa Was A Rolling Stone'.

2016 - American guitarist, singer and songwriter, Paul Kantner died in San Francisco at the age of 74 due to multiple organ failure and septic shock after he suffered a heart attack days earlier. He was known for co-founding Jefferson Airplane, the leading psychedelic rock band of the counterculture era, and its more commercial spin-off band Jefferson Starship. With Jefferson Airplane, Kantner was among the performers at the Monterey Jazz Festival in 1966 and the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967 and the Woodstock Festival in 1969.

2015 - Funk legend Sly Stone was awarded $5m (£3.3m) in missed royalties by a Los Angeles court. The singer claimed his former manager, Gerald Goldstein, and lawyer, Glenn Stone, had cheated him out of earnings dating back more than 20 years. In 2011, it was reported he was homeless and living in a camper van after falling on hard times and fighting drug addiction problems.

Black Sabbath bassist Geezer Butler was arrested after officers were called to the Corkscrew Saloon on the Furnace Creek Ranch in Death Valley National Park, California. The 65 year-old bassist was arrested for misdemeanour assault, public intoxication and vandalism after a fight broke out in the bar.

2009 - Lynyrd Skynyrd keyboard player Billy Powell died at the age of 56 of a suspected heart attack in Florida. Powell called police saying he was having trouble breathing and emergency services tried to resuscitate him, but he was pronounced dead an hour later. Powell had missed a doctor's appointment on the day before his death; the appointment was for a checkup on his heart. He played piano on Kid Rock's 'All Summer Long' (which sampled the Lynyrd Skynyrd song 'Sweet Home Alabama').

1978 - Van Halen released their first single, a cover of The Kinks' ‘You Really Got Me’. The Kinks' Dave Davies has claimed to dislike Van Halen's rendition of the song and stated of how a concert-goer once approached him after a live Kinks show and congratulated him on performing a "great cover of the Van Halen song."

1968 - Jim Morrison of The Doors was arrested and charged with public drunkenness after harassing a security guard at a Las Vegas adult movie theatre.

1956 - Elvis Presley (with Scotty Moore and Bill Black), made his first National Television appearance on the Dorsey brother's "Stage Show". It was the first of six appearances on the show and the first of eight performances recorded and broadcast from CBS TV in New York City. After the success of their first appearance they were signed to five more in early 1956.

Old 01-30-2024, 09:51 AM

Born Today:

1951 - English singer, drummer, songwriter, record producer and actor Phil Collins. As a member of Genesis he had the 1986 US No.1 'Invisible Touch', 1992 UK No.7 single 'I Can't Dance' plus six UK No.1 albums. As a solo artist, Colins had the 1988 UK & US No.1 single 'A Groovy Kind Of Love' plus six other US No.1's and four UK No.1 solo albums. Acting roles include Oliver, Buster and Miami Vice. He had an uncredited part as an extra in The Beatles film A Hard Day's Night (1964), where he is amongst the screaming teenagers during the television concert sequence.

1942 - Marty Balin, American singer, songwriter best known as the founder and one of the lead singers of Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship. who had the 1967 US No.18 single 'White Rabbit'. Balin played with Jefferson Airplane at the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967 and at the Woodstock Festival in 1969. He died on September 27, 2018 at the age of 76.

Old 01-31-2024, 09:50 AM

Born Today:

1987 - Marcus Mumford, English musician, best known as the lead singer of Mumford & Sons. Their second studio album 'Babel' released in 2012 debuted at No.1 on both the UK Albums Chart and the US Billboard 200. It became the fastest selling album of 2012 in the UK. The live performance at the 2011 Grammy ceremony with Bob Dylan and The Avett Brothers led to a surge in popularity for the band in the US. The band received eight total Grammy nominations for Babel and won the Grammy Award for Album of the Year.

1981 - Justin Timberlake, singer with *NSYNC who had the 2000 US No.1 single 'It's Gonna Be Me' and the 1999 UK No.5 single 'I Want You Back'. As a solo artist scored the 2003 UK No.2 & US No.3 single 'Cry Me A River'. His second solo album 'FutureSex/LoveSounds' was released in 2006 with the US No.1 hit singles 'SexyBack', 'My Love' and 'What Goes Around... Comes Around.' With his first two albums, Timberlake has sold over fourteen million albums worldwide. Timberlake has his own record label called Tennman Records. He also has an acting career, having starred in films such as The Social Network, Bad Teacher and Friends with Benefits.

1956 - John Lydon, (Johnny Rotten,) singer with the Sex Pistols who had the 1977 UK No.2 single 'God Save The Queen and 1977 UK No.1 album Never Mind The *******s, Here's The Sex Pistols'. After the Pistols disbanded in 1978, Lydon founded his own band, Public Image Ltd, which was far more experimental and produced eight studio albums and a string of singles, including 'Public Image', 'Death Disco', and 'Rise'. In January 2004, Lydon appeared on the British reality television programme I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!, which took place in Australia.

1946 - Terry Kath, guitarist with Chicago who had the 1976 UK & US No.1 single 'If You Leave Me Now'. Kath accidentally shot himself dead on January 23rd 1978. His last words were, "Don't worry it's not loaded" as he put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger. The guitarist and singer was killed instantly. Chicago have had five consecutive No.1 albums on the Billboard chart and 20 top-ten singles on the Billboard Hot 100.

Old 01-31-2024, 12:21 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,153,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandorrei View Post
January 25 - "Jailhouse Rock" is #1 on pop charts.
I have a fond memory of this playing in my dad's den. I'm about 5, and I'm standing on his shoes, and we're dancing. My mom is holding our dog's paws, dancing with the dog. LOL

Old 02-02-2024, 09:44 AM

1979 - Sex Pistols bassist Sid Vicious died of a heroin overdose in New York City. There had been a party to celebrate Vicious' release on $50,000 (£29,412) bail pending his trial for the murder of his former girlfriend, Nancy Spungen, the previous October. Party guests, said that Vicious had taken heroin at midnight. An autopsy confirmed that Vicious died from an accumulation of fluid in the lungs that was consistent with heroin overdose. A syringe, spoon and heroin residue were discovered near the body.

Born in 1942:

British-American singer-songwriter Graham Nash, known for his light tenor voice and for his songwriting contributions as a member of The Hollies and supergroup Crosby, Stills & Nash. Nash initially met both David Crosby and Stephen Stills in 1966 during a Hollies US tour. CSN's scored the hit singles 'Marrakesh Express' (which had been rejected by the Hollies), 'Our House', 'Teach Your Children'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music