Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 02:22 PM

508 posts, read 205,698 times

Advertisements

Vinyl costs a lot more, too. I'll keep buying the CDs nobody wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2023, 02:26 PM

6,382 posts, read 2,940,339 times
I used to collect 45s to use in a jukebox at the cafe I ran. But I listen so much in my car so CDs are more practical. Vinyl does sound a lot better for rock/pop music. I listen to mostly classical and the lack of surface noise in that is essential.

Old 03-21-2023, 11:50 PM

24,523 posts, read 33,384,343 times
I have always stayed with vinyl records (and a record player).

I do have some CDs but not very many and I actually play my records (albums and 45s) a few times a week.

Old 03-24-2023, 10:15 AM

18,255 posts, read 25,932,550 times
One of the things I've always thought about cd's is how and why the major labels absolutely overpress the bejeebers out of product, with Columbia Records being the worst offender. With the exception of Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, and a few others, they get way carried away with it. If you go to a used record store, you could see it in the bins and also a buyer who wants to trade in their cd's for other cd's, or vinyl for that matter, experience this problem. A few artists that come to mind are Barbara Streisand, Shawn Colvin, Journey, and Bruce Springsteen. There are lots of others. I'm sure to get some flak for this opinion, and I don't slam a certain artist or a certain genre of music. I do take a peek at a used store's overstock bin and that is what I see.

Old 03-25-2023, 05:22 AM

15,493 posts, read 9,183,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiffuseGlow View Post
Vinyl costs a lot more, too. I'll keep buying the CDs nobody wants.
Me too. I'm buying CDs in bulk for as little as $2 a piece. If there is 10 tracks on the CD, that's 20 cents a track. Many are greatest hits CDs with way more songs then that. I don't think you can legally download music any cheaper the that.

As for vinyl, I guess if you like to just look at them, that's the way to go. But I listen to music, I don't look at it. And vinyl is total crap to listen to. Better than cassette tapes, but still crap.

As for CD players, I have a CD player in my car that I use all the time. I have several home CD players that I never use. I rip all my CDs to my computer hard drives. It's a PITA, but it's still the best way I know to collect high quality digital music.

I really don't understand what people are thinking buying vinyl over CDs.

Old 03-25-2023, 05:40 AM

15,493 posts, read 9,183,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I'm not surprised. Everyone is streaming now, in fact new cars no longer come with CD players, just Bluetooth and/or a plug to connect the phone. For music-loving people at home, we can stream to our Bluetooth speakers or soundbars. The sound is the same as from a CD. The popularity of vinyl is that the sound is very different. The somewhat scratchier sound is nostalgic for those of us that grew up with vinyl, and for the younger people it's somehow become cool. Maybe it's a warmer experience, having to handle the media, the artwork on the large cover, or watching the record spin. I haven't bought any records for years, but I do a have a pretty good collection of classic rock LPs. I even have a box of 8 track tapes, but nothing to play them on. I do find it interesting that an album like Jethro Tull "Aqualung" that I bought in 1979 for less than $5 is now $15-25 new, and an old used one like mine is selling on Ebay for $350-$1,599.
Steaming is NOT the same as from a CD. Audio CD bitrate is always 1,411 Kbps. Streaming bitrate varies between 96 to 160 Kbps. So CD quality is 10 to 15 times better than streaming.

Old 03-27-2023, 11:08 AM

18,255 posts, read 25,932,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
One of the things I've always thought about cd's is how and why the major labels absolutely over press the bejeebers out of product, with Columbia Records being the worst offender. With the exception of Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, and a few others, they get way carried away with it. If you go to a used record store, you could see it in the bins and also a buyer who wants to trade in their cd's for other cd's, or vinyl for that matter, experience this problem. A few artists that come to mind are Barbara Streisand, Shawn Colvin, Journey, and Bruce Springsteen. There are lots of others. I'm sure to get some flak for this opinion, and I don't slam a certain artist or a certain genre of music. I do take a peek at a used store's overstock bin and that is what I see.
Another thing that hurts the cd's was over pressing in general which tied in with the growth of big box retailers that basically were on steroids. And several years ago that movement started to decline.
Best Buy and Circuit City----Circuit City gone.
Barnes and Noble and Borders----Borders gone.
Walmart and Sears and Montgomery Wards. Sears and Monkey Wards----gone.

Then shortly after that came the slow and painful closings of several music only retailers---Tower Records, Virgin Records, Wherehouse. Then shortly after that were other chains that shut down 50% of their stores (maybe closer to 75%)---Sam Goody, FYE, Musicland, Hastings, CD Warehouse, Camelot, On Cue, I'm sure many others, then of course the small mom and pop retailers. I have a bunch more sympathy for them because of no tax advantages against the big box outfits.

Old 03-27-2023, 06:05 PM

11,186 posts, read 7,241,090 times
I certainly enjoyed vinyl before CDs came around. But CDs are superior to them, except for the large artwork with records. Since my ears are more important than the eyes when it comes to music, I'm sticking with CDs.

All my 8-tracks and cassettes are gone too, for the same reason. There's zero sentimental value for the inferior technologies.

The only reason I'd listen to something from vinyl is if it hasn't been released on CD. But many have gotten past that and copied them to CD-R (analog to digital), and then posted them to YouTube. So they'll get heard on YT.

Old 03-27-2023, 06:39 PM

24,156 posts, read 32,612,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
Vinyl records are outselling CDs from last year. I would like to know if you collect vinyl.
https://youtu.be/heZDc-8cXqE
No shock here! I've been collecting vinyl since I was 10 years old. I always thought CDs were a passing fad. People laughed, but I was right.

Nothing beats the sound of vinyl. I still have my JBL! 100s, my 50 watt per channel Marantz receiver, and a newer turn table, on which I play one of my 300 + albums every day.

I have a 15s too. I play them on my 1963 Sebring Juke Box.

Old 03-27-2023, 11:03 PM

19,264 posts, read 16,792,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
No shock here! I've been collecting vinyl since I was 10 years old. I always thought CDs were a passing fad. People laughed, but I was right.

Nothing beats the sound of vinyl. I still have my JBL! 100s, my 50 watt per channel Marantz receiver, and a newer turn table, on which I play one of my 300 + albums every day.

I have a 15s too. I play them on my 1963 Sebring Juke Box.
I still own CDs. I don't purchase them any longer. I've been adding to my vinyl LPs, not so much 45s but I look.

You have almost enough albums to play one for each day of the year. Score! And a juke box, too? Bet days around your place are fun. Very cool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music