Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 09:02 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
Vinyl records are outselling CDs from last year. I would like to know if you collect vinyl.
https://youtu.be/heZDc-8cXqE
Still have 5-6 boxes of vinyl... turntable... mixer... Pioneer receiver from 1992... JVC dual cassette deck...

With all of that - I have converted most of my music to WAV or MP3 files (@320K). If you are doing digital files, it makes no sense to me to do CDs. Maybe for backup and hard storage, but not for regular playback.

I don't use streaming services because the bad quality would grate on my nerves, and I want control over my files and what I listen to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2023, 09:20 AM

2,395 posts, read 1,069,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
That is a matter of opinion. Some of us don't want snaps and clicks when listening to music.

But there are other concerns. A vinyl record can only be played a few hundred times. A CD can be played infinitely, and digitally copied for flawless playback on multiple devices infinitely. CDs are forever. Vinyl is not, unless you never play it.

Which is probably what the record companies are hoping for. They know there will be very little need for replacement CDs. But vinyl collectors will need replacement records every so many years.
You're correct to a point....but IMO CD's can not be played "infinitely"....I have a few that are scratched up, just like vinyl, and "skip"....there's nothing worse than a 'digital" skip....same with DVDs too...
And unlike vinyl...sometimes you can get a "bad" CD or DVD that won't even play....

And as for replacing records every so many years....not totally true either...most of my vinyl albums have had for decades....and still sound good ....45 singles are closer to what you described,the vinyl is thinner and lets just say there is a lot of snap, crackle, and pop when I play them....

I bought vinyl back in the 1970s when that's all there was....I remember seeing the first CDs about 1983,and they were expensive and then mostly classical music...I thought ...who's going to pay $15.99 for that....
besides vinyl albums being much larger ....the album covers looked way better....

A bit before that, in the very early 80s, I remember going to a friend's house and he an enormous collectionof albums ...1000s ....I said that he must have robbed a bank to pay for them....he laughed and said he bought them all used ....being a bit of a germaphobe ....at that time used = dirty ...it took me a few years to get over that ...then in the mid 80s I went album crazy ....perfect timing ...vinyl was starting to be taken over by CDs ...
the used prices for vinyl albums was pretty cheap....I remember going to one used vinyl store the day it opened, I was literally their first customer....I couldn't believe the selection and the cheap prices ...$1.00 to $1.50 per album....I was like a kid in a candy store....I bought over 30 albums and luckily I was there with my best friend and his girlfriend to help me carry all those albums...and it was never random...I had a master list of all the albums I wanted and pretty much stuck to that list....

I was late getting into CDs.....but started buying them in the early 90s....then deciding to dump a lot of my vinyl, replacing them with CDs ....which I now regret....who knew vinyl would ever make a comeback....
I have never gotten into streaming or anything like that....I'm happily old school

Last edited by GTB365; 03-28-2023 at 10:00 AM..

Old 03-28-2023, 10:02 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Still have 5-6 boxes of vinyl... turntable... mixer... Pioneer receiver from 1992... JVC dual cassette deck...

With all of that - I have converted most of my music to WAV or MP3 files (@320K). If you are doing digital files, it makes no sense to me to do CDs. Maybe for backup and hard storage, but not for regular playback.

I don't use streaming services because the bad quality would grate on my nerves, and I want control over my files and what I listen to.
Yeah to me, streaming services are the equivalent of listing to an FM radio station. It's always better to listen to your own files.

As far as MP3s go, I have been listening to my collection of MP3s for the last 20 years, but I have been getting increasingly fed up with the quality of MP3s. That's why I have decided to buy cheap used CDs to upgrade my collection from MP3s to uncompressed AIFF-C files.

Interesting facts:

Audio CD bitrate: 1,411 Kbps.
WAV & AIFF bitrate: Same as CDs
MP3 bitrate: 96 - 320 Kbps
Streaming services like Spotify: 96 to 160Kbps.

Understanding audio bitrate and audio quality _ Adobe

Old 03-28-2023, 10:06 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
When a CD is scratched, it's ruined. When a record is scratched, it's still playable. Sometimes, the scratches remind me of how and when they occurred.

You still get that warm vinyl hug.

Old 03-28-2023, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
You're correct to a point....but IMO CD's can not be played "infinitely"....I have a few that are scratched up, just like vinyl, and "skip"....there's nothing worse than a 'digital" skip....same with DVDs too...
And unlike vinyl...sometimes you can get a "bad" CD or DVD that won't even play....

And as for replacing records every so many years....not totally true either...most of my vinyl albums have had for decades....and still sound good ....45 singles are closer to what you described,the vinyl is thinner and lets just say there is a lot of snap, crackle, and pop when I play them....

I bought vinyl back in the 1970s when that's all there was....I remember seeing the first CDs about 1983,and they were expensive and then mostly classical music...I thought ...who's going to pay $15.99 for that....
besides vinyl albums being much larger ....the album covers looked way better....

A bit before that, in the very early 80s, I remember going to a friend's house and he an enormous collectionof albums ...1000s ....I said that he must have robbed a bank to pay for them....he laughed and said he bought them all used ....being a bit of a germaphobe ....at that time used = dirty ...it took me a few years to get over that ...then in the mid 80s I went album crazy ....perfect timing ...vinyl was starting to be taken over by CDs ...
the used prices for vinyl albums was pretty cheap....I remember going to one used vinyl store the day it opened, I was literally their first customer....I couldn't believe the selection and the cheap prices ...$1.00 to $1.50 per album....I was like a kid in a candy store....I bought over 30 albums and luckily I was there with my best friend and his girlfriend to help me carry all those albums...and it was never random...I had a master list of all the albums I wanted and pretty much stuck to that list....

I was late getting into CDs.....but started buying them in the early 90s....then deciding to dump a lot of my vinyl, replacing them with CDs ....which I now regret....who knew vinyl would ever make a comeback....
I have never gotten into streaming or anything like that....I'm happily old school
Sorry to nitpick but a skip on a vinyl record is caused by the needle jumping from one groove to the next. That can't happen on a CD, because CDs have no grooves, and the needle is a laser. Problems with the surface of a CD can cause playback issues, but that can be fixed by simply resurfacing the CD. You can't fix vinyl.

Old 03-28-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
When a CD is scratched, it's ruined. When a record is scratched, it's still playable. Sometimes, the scratches remind me of how and when they occurred.

No a scratched CD is not ruined, unless it's literally scratched all the way through the disk. A CD will never be ruined by normal wear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9_L9bGY1r8

Old 03-28-2023, 11:06 AM

502 posts, read 198,628 times
Quote:
No shock here! I've been collecting vinyl since I was 10 years old. I always thought CDs were a passing fad. People laughed, but I was right.

Nothing beats the sound of vinyl. I still have my JBL! 100s, my 50 watt per channel Marantz receiver, and a newer turn table, on which I play one of my 300 + albums every day.

I have a 15s too. I play them on my 1963 Sebring Juke Box.
How are CDs a "passing fad" when they dominated the market for thirty years? Vinyl made a comeback, but it took a long time (and the prices still turn many off). For a long time, you couldn't give records away. Now they're worth some many.

The same applies to CDs. Audiophiles seek out certain pressings because often enough "remasters" don't sound better. I've sold some OOP pressings that earned me a pretty penny. Then I buy more!

CDs aren't going anywhere. In recent months, I've taken delivery of many Japanese editions and Blu-spec reissues. One of them is Herbie Hancock's soundtrack to []Death Wish[/i].

Yeah, nothing beats the "warble" of a warped record, haha!

Old 03-28-2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Me too. I'm buying CDs in bulk for as little as $2 a piece. If there is 10 tracks on the CD, that's 20 cents a track. Many are greatest hits CDs with way more songs then that. I don't think you can legally download music any cheaper the that.

As for vinyl, I guess if you like to just look at them, that's the way to go. But I listen to music, I don't look at it. And vinyl is total crap to listen to. Better than cassette tapes, but still crap.

As for CD players, I have a CD player in my car that I use all the time. I have several home CD players that I never use. I rip all my CDs to my computer hard drives. It's a PITA, but it's still the best way I know to collect high quality digital music.

I really don't understand what people are thinking buying vinyl over CDs.
I've a friend who ditched his discs and has become a full-on vinyl snob. That's fine, but he also got rid of CDs I gave him!

It's fine. To each his or her own. But I like CDs and that's my preferred format. I just took receipt of big boxes of used mint and new CDs I acquired for a pittance. Some are for resale.

Old 03-28-2023, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Not automatically true. Should both formats suffer a deep, large scratch, they won't be the same. But a CD may sustain many light scratches and still play without error, unlike wax.

Old 03-28-2023, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiffuseGlow View Post
Not automatically true. Should both formats suffer a deep, large scratch, they won't be the same. But a CD may sustain many light scratches and still play without error, unlike wax.
I would say a CD will play fine even with relatively deep scratches. Unless it's scratched all the way down to the data layer, you can always resurface it, and it will work fine again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music