Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2023, 06:06 PM

19,288 posts, read 16,812,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Speaking of loving vinyl, I just got in a nice package of 45's from one of my Japan sources--a bunch of 45's with picture sleeves on the Ventures. They were very popular in Japan during their career, sadly I don't believe any of them are alive now. Also got a couple lp's by the Spotnicks and the Astronauts. even though 70 is in my rear view mirror, I still collect!!
Wow! What a great find! Not as avid a collector as you but I've purchased vinyl from private owners and have been very fortunate that what they describe in their sales listing is accurate. 'Course, I do buy them through Discogs so they have to be reputable. Discogs doesn't like frauds and will look into accusations of such and take action if needed. I've never had problems with the quality of vinyl from sellers (so far) so I'm not exactly sure just what actions those are. I've had more bad experiences buying something on eBay (non vinyl items) than anywhere else. Discogs, Etsy. No problems whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2023, 02:44 PM

42,020 posts, read 75,442,256 times
The price of new vinyl is kinda daunting, but that didn't keep me from reserving my copy of the Connells' forthcoming live album at $27.99. And I do like buying indie bands' music on vinyl, for some reason. If you order from Bandcamp you often also get a download, so it's the best of both worlds. And if you order from Bandcamp on the first Friday of the month, Bandcamp waives its cut and all the money, after credit card processing and that sort of nonsense, goes directly to the artist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
CDs are great, especially for people like me who still own a car equipped with a CD player.
I'm keeping my 2015 Mazda 3 and its CD player until it crumbles into dust in my driveway (or until my right shoulder and left leg can no longer operate a manual transmission, whichever comes first). LOL I do wish I still had my 2006 Mazda 3, though, and its 6 CD changer. That was the best part of that car.

Old 04-23-2023, 07:37 PM

35,358 posts, read 17,265,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
Vinyl records are outselling CDs from last year. I would like to know if you collect vinyl.
https://youtu.be/heZDc-8cXqE
I still have 90% of my vinyl collection and a player. The player does allow for ripping MP3's. I would never give up the LP collection!

Old 04-24-2023, 09:53 AM

45,760 posts, read 27,410,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I still have 90% of my vinyl collection and a player. The player does allow for ripping MP3's. I would never give up the LP collection!
Would you undertake the effort to make digital copies if you could?

I'm asking for a reason.

Old 04-24-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Would you undertake the effort to make digital copies if you could?

I'm asking for a reason.
I do, quite a bit. Of my 7800 mp3's I estimate that about 3000 of them are digital copies of the vinyl.

As far as the thread topic, the vinyl era was about 70-80 years long, depending on how you measure it. The CD era was, at most, 30 years, and often had an admixture of vinyl and cassette tapes. It is not a surprise, therefore, that vinyl is back. It is not back in the way it used to be, with racks and racks of an artist's old work, and new releases. It is still skimpy compared to the "old days."

Old 04-24-2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I do, quite a bit. Of my 7800 mp3's I estimate that about 3000 of them are digital copies of the vinyl.

As far as the thread topic, the vinyl era was about 70-80 years long, depending on how you measure it. The CD era was, at most, 30 years, and often had an admixture of vinyl and cassette tapes. It is not a surprise, therefore, that vinyl is back. It is not back in the way it used to be, with racks and racks of an artist's old work, and new releases. It is still skimpy compared to the "old days."
I misread your post - I thought you said you could NOT do MP3. My bad on that.

With old turntables, you couldn't easily do the transfer to digital files without the use of some other equipment. That's why I was asking - but it sounds like you are good.

I don't even know the quantity of my library. Files are scattered in a few different places.

Old 04-24-2023, 01:17 PM

512 posts, read 207,509 times
Quote:

The CD era is ongoing. Sales of CDs across the various formats, including CD-ROMs, had exceeded thirty billion worldwide by 2010. CDs are still being manufactured, of course. They still sell like hotcakes in other parts of the world, like Japan (which, interestingly, is where a number of Tower Records stores still operate).

The Blu-spec CD format was introduced by Sony in 2008 and more vintage reissues are appearing on it. I have a large assortment of them on a shelf to my right.

Old 04-24-2023, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I misread your post - I thought you said you could NOT do MP3. My bad on that.

With old turntables, you couldn't easily do the transfer to digital files without the use of some other equipment. That's why I was asking - but it sounds like you are good.

I don't even know the quantity of my library. Files are scattered in a few different places.
I bought my turntable to computer setup in January 2009 at BestBuy. I assume it is readily available. Just yesterday I was listening in my car to the 1972 album Jonathan Edwards. I assure you it was not a record player, though there were in-car record players in the 1950's.

Old 04-24-2023, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I bought my turntable to computer setup in January 2009 at BestBuy. I assume it is readily available. Just yesterday I was listening in my car to the 1972 album Jonathan Edwards. I assure you it was not a record player, though there were in-car record players in the 1950's.
Wait - what??

Old 04-24-2023, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Wait - what??
On here someone posted a picture of one. I found one by Googling, and an article about them (link).

Though I was and am into music, I never went that far. The one I saw on CD had one mounted on the passenger seat. I can just picture it playing "Deadman's Curve."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music