Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2023, 05:23 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times

Advertisements

Her fans appear obsessed. I hear her name daily in social media and on TV. On the news. On talk shows. My husband complained about her appearance at a football game.

So, we both decided to check out her music. I thought it was typical bland pop. Insipid lyrics, and trite music sung by a woman with a weak voice.

I never want to hear her sing again. I had thought that she was a typical pop princess who was adored by younger teenagers and tweens. Someone along the lines of Briteny Spears or Debby Gibson. I still think that.

HOWEVER - when I posted this on social media, I was literally attacked by her fans! I was given REASONS why I should like her. And "be her fan".

The only reason why I like ANY music is because it sounds good to me. I don't care about the political party of the singer, how attractive they are, how much money they earn, or donate to charity.
I need to ENJOY the MUSIC.

And I don't enjoy hers.

I was told that even if I don't like her music, I should be impressed with her success, and "still be a fan".

HUH? What am I missing? I can't be a fan of music that bores me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2023, 05:28 PM

7,430 posts, read 4,675,108 times
I actually like her song "Teardrops on my Guitar".

"You Belong To Me", kids have fun with it.

Last edited by Yippeekayay; 10-25-2023 at 05:40 PM..

Old 10-25-2023, 06:53 PM

323 posts, read 135,457 times
You don't like Taylor Swift's music? Neither do I.

So?

There's nothing to 'get'. Tastes are subjective. I'm never baffled when someone doesn't like artists that I like because I know that. I'm also not mystified when I don't happen to like someone who is very popular.

It's really not complicated.

Old 10-25-2023, 08:00 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew in Minnesota View Post

So?

There's nothing to 'get'. Tastes are subjective. I'm never baffled when someone doesn't like artists that I like because I know that. I'm also not mystified when I don't happen to like someone who is very popular.

I don't understand why her followers are so ...ardent. Cult like. Actually, telling me "to support her", even if you don't like her".

WTH? I don't think some billionaire pop singer needs my "support".

And these women, mostly ALLL women, were in their 40s, 50s and 60s.

Old 10-25-2023, 08:02 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew in Minnesota View Post

So?

^^^ What he said.

Old 10-25-2023, 08:38 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,899,606 times
Much of celebrity obsession is the result of herd mentality as it's always been, particularly so in young people (Generation Y?) and especially so these days due to the Internet where there are more avenues for one's achieving fame than ever before. "Taylor Swift is popular." "'Everyone' loves Taylor Swift." Subconsciously: "I love Taylor Swift because I want to be accepted as part of the herd." That kind of thing.

Old 10-26-2023, 12:53 AM

6,790 posts, read 2,899,606 times
As an addendum to the above ...artists at one time pretty much had to first do the hard yards before they attained success, even though many of them were touted by the media as being 'an overnight success'. Not so these days. These days becoming an overnight success IS the case due to the internet and YouTube. Take Justin Bieber as an example. I don't know if this is the case in regard to Taylor Swift's career since she is, what, 33 years old? This suggests that she would have been in the music business for some time, even though it's only in the last couple of years that "I" had even heard of her. Then again, I wouldn't be tuned in to that kind of music anyway.

No, Taylor Swift certainly doesn't interest THIS John Prine, Guy Clark, Americana, etc. music lover but she at least appears to have it together 'character-wise' from the little I know about her. That alone has to be a plus these days.

Old 10-26-2023, 06:34 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,213,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't understand why her followers are so ...ardent. Cult like. Actually, telling me "to support her", even if you don't like her".

WTH? I don't think some billionaire pop singer needs my "support".

And these women, mostly ALLL women, were in their 40s, 50s and 60s.
I don't know your age but you might be beyond the demographic she writes for. Some of those 30-something fans have been fans since their teenaged years and some older women can identify with the breakup and heartbreak lyrics. Watch Miss Americana on Netflix and get back to us. Might give you some insight into her journey from precocious preteen songwriter/musician to 33 year old punching bag for those that don't get it.

As an old man I'm not a Swifty but appreciate her story and understand why young girls love her. I respect her resilience in the face of criticism and her creative drive. Bill O'Reilly said on air that she needed to be slapped around for coming out against Marsha Blackburn so you have some company.

Old 10-26-2023, 09:19 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,327,486 times
I thought her country stuff was kind of catchy, but I could care less what she does not especially when concerned to dating NFL players. Physically, she's not my type at all either. I don't get the fuss.

Old 10-26-2023, 09:30 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,128,007 times
All I see is a lady that's 30 years old going on 16. I don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music