Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 12:51 PM

10,451 posts, read 4,034,271 times

Advertisements

Well, she's getting a lot of heat for snubbing Celine Dion as a presenter at the Grammy's last night. And the photo of those two together, 10 hours after the fact, seems more like a pr move with photoshop than a legitimate photo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2024, 02:52 PM

2,028 posts, read 3,347,933 times
I think her fans are so loyal because so many of them, being young women and young girls, relate to her music and feel like her music helps them get thru. They're also big into supporting other women. JMHO. She writes (or co-writes) all of her own songs and it feels personal to them. She gives a lot to charity, and she's VERY generous with tips and gifts. They feel like she's also a good person, along with her talent.

As for the Grammys last night, she won the album of the year for “Midnights,” becoming the artist with the most wins EVER in the coveted category - with four. Prior to her win, she was tied with Frank Sinatra, Stevie Wonder, and Paul Simon - who had all previously won album of the year three times.

Last edited by Jellybean50; 02-05-2024 at 03:19 PM..

Old 02-05-2024, 04:00 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
I think her fans are so loyal because so many of them, being young women and young girls, relate to her music and feel like her music helps them get thru. They're also big into supporting other women. JMHO. She writes (or co-writes) all of her own songs and it feels personal to them. She gives a lot to charity, and she's VERY generous with tips and gifts. They feel like she's also a good person, along with her talent.

As for the Grammys last night, she won the album of the year for “Midnights,” becoming the artist with the most wins EVER in the coveted category - with four. Prior to her win, she was tied with Frank Sinatra, Stevie Wonder, and Paul Simon - who had all previously won album of the year three times.
I agree, and I think she's a pretty good role model for girls.

Old 02-05-2024, 04:54 PM

78,352 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Nothing like a bunch of people throughout the thread talking about how she'll fade away or doesn't sing as well as so and so.

Hey guys, her genre isn't my cup of tea but she writes her own music and can *gasp* play instruments.

Be informed. All the best.

Old 02-05-2024, 05:08 PM

9,119 posts, read 6,165,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
She's a carefully calibrated product. She dips her toes enough into 'urban' culture to be recognized as current and hip by her young fans, but not enough to potentially upset the moms and dads. It's very 'middle of the road' and very careful to stay in line with the Zeitgeist while avoiding pitfalls like going too strongly in any one direction. Everything to everyone.

And credit to her and her management team for being able to stay on top of that for so long a time period. It's never been common for a performer to be able to top the charts for 15+ years without a notable drop-off. You have to reinvent yourself a lot to do that and get it right.

Madonna was similar but also much more controversial. Miley Cyrus tried to go that route, and while it 'worked' to an extent, it couldn't quite work like Tyler Swift because the perception of sex among young people has shifted a lot.

Swift has a carefully curated persona. Her tours and music are calibrated to generate the most buzz.

And she is a canny businesswoman.

"You no doubt heard about her Eras Tour, which saw sell-out shows to massive stadium crowds for 52 dates across the U.S. She will bring in more than $1 billion in ticket sales. She's in the midst of the overseas portion of the tour, but she also recently added more dates in North America for the latter part of 2024.

Whether or not you're a fan of her music, it's clear that Taylor Swift is one of the most popular recording artists and performers ever — and she is perhaps at the peak of her career after all these years in the spotlight.

She's also a savvy businesswoman (and newly minted billionaire). You can't get this far if you're not, no matter how talented you are.

As entrepreneurs, there are many lessons we can learn about business, marketing and protecting our intellectual property from Taylor Swift. "

https://www.entrepreneur.com/startin...ss-icon/465256

Old 02-06-2024, 08:06 PM

15 posts, read 3,034 times
I am a fan, but I'm not a head over heels Swifty like many are. I happen to enjoy her music especially songs she did but got covered. I find her vocals mid but her songwriting to be her strong suit. She can perform live, but I don't find her vocals that strong.

Old 02-13-2024, 12:40 AM

6,792 posts, read 2,900,926 times
There is much psychology at work when it comes to certain celebrities and the idolizing of them by a herd-mentality public. You're all aware of this ...right?

I remember 'Beatlemania' back in the early 1960's. Beatlemania was perhaps the most well-planned publicity stunt ever perpetrated on humankind. A day would not go by without the name 'Beatles' splashed across the popular media in some form or another. We were bombarded with the name 'the Beatles', and this eventually took root in the minds of we human cattle. This was mass hypnosis at work and so the term 'Beatlemania' became the apt word for this phenomenon. The Beatles were in our heads whether we liked them or not. None of the Beatles had yet proven their musicianship or their musical worth as songwriters and so it was NOT their talent that created this adulation. It was mind control that had little or nothing to do with actual 'music'. They had only just hit the music scene with three or four teen-oriented songs but yet the entire world, it would seem, fell at their feet, particularly in the U.S., where masses of people, ten thousand-fold, lined the streets, pubescent girls screaming and fainting and having paramedics tend to them as the Beatles' motorcade passed by. As one newspaper headline screamed out: "The Beatles Have Left Chicago a Sacked City!"

WHAT THE . . .???

So, every now and then a celebrity comes along and manages to mesmerize the public by making sure that EVERYONE knows who they are. This doesn't just happen ...it's all well planned beforehand. They get inside your head just as intended! I couldn't name you even ONE Taylor Swift song. Seriously. But the name Taylor Swift is, unfortunately, etched into my brain. How many of you have heard of Guy Clark and John Prine? Very few I'll bet. But only because these names are not carved into your brain. And yet these guys and gals and many other lesser-known music artists like them had - and have - talent equal or superior to the likes of the Beatles, Taylor Swift, et al, but they never needed to exploit themselves in the same manner as the afore-mentioned media-manipulators to acquire a fairly sizeable following of music-lovers.

Old 02-13-2024, 08:30 PM

6,792 posts, read 2,900,926 times
This came through on the online newsfeed from Sky News this morning that pretty much states similar to my above remarks:

Comedian Alex Stein has blasted Taylor Swift for being “thrown in our face” like an Orwell novel as people are being “programmed to watch her 24/7”.

“I’m sick of Taylor Swift,” Mr. Stein told Sky News host Rita Panahi.

“You know how they talk about 1989 – but it’s literally 1984, but it’s 1989.

“We’re being programmed to watch her 24/7 – it’s really like an Orwell novel.

“It’s Orwellian how much Taylor Swift is being thrown in our face, especially here in America.”

Let's face it, with very little persuasion gullible people would pretty much jump through hoops and grovel in the dirt if it meant displaying their loyalty to a self-serving celebrity who in reality doesn't give a damn about their worshipers. It's just unfortunate that music or a mock-up of it is the method by which mind control is accomplished.

Old 02-13-2024, 09:31 PM

6,700 posts, read 5,928,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
This doesn't just happen ...it's all well planned beforehand. They get inside your head just as intended!
This seems a bit over the top. If you don't want to listen to this singer, you can not listen. I don't listen to her. I also couldn't name a single song. Yesterday I told this to a friend, and she said "I'll bet you know one or two of her songs without knowing it's her!" So I asked her to sing one and remind me, and she couldn't.

Meh. It's pop music that grew out of country roots. She's considered very talented, writes all her own material, is pretty and dresses in a glitzy manner for stage performances.

Is she better or worse than Beyoncé? Lady Gaga? Madonna? Britney? IDK. They're all pop music, they all seem a bit "off" to me, i.e. mentally not quite normal. I think highly talented artists tend to be a bit crazy; comes with the job. Frankly Swift seems slightly more normal than some others, though.

I say, good for her. She's obviously a smart business person, to have made this much money. I just wish she'd stop uttering political opinions, geeze.

Old 02-14-2024, 04:23 PM

2,028 posts, read 3,347,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
This seems a bit over the top. If you don't want to listen to this singer, you can not listen. I don't listen to her. I also couldn't name a single song. Yesterday I told this to a friend, and she said "I'll bet you know one or two of her songs without knowing it's her!" So I asked her to sing one and remind me, and she couldn't.

Meh. It's pop music that grew out of country roots. She's considered very talented, writes all her own material, is pretty and dresses in a glitzy manner for stage performances.
I agree - i don't really listen to her, but i have friends close to my age (old lol) that love her music. (And i certainly don't dislike her or hate her.) I don't hear them gushing over her like a lot of younger women or young girls, but they relate to her songs. I don't think you can "force" that part.

I started listening to music at a young age, probably 10 - which back then i think was pretty young. My BIL worked part-time at a music store and started gifting me albums. I have LOVED music every since; it really did help me thru my teen years and beyond. I've never screamed and cried like a maniac at any concerts, but some have moved me a lot. And none were because of how they were marketed, even tho some were really big names. All were because i related to the music and LOVED the music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music