Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2023, 10:19 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,511,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Her fans appear obsessed. I hear her name daily in social media and on TV. On the news. On talk shows. My husband complained about her appearance at a football game.

So, we both decided to check out her music. I thought it was typical bland pop. Insipid lyrics, and trite music sung by a woman with a weak voice.

I never want to hear her sing again. I had thought that she was a typical pop princess who was adored by younger teenagers and tweens. Someone along the lines of Briteny Spears or Debby Gibson. I still think that.

HOWEVER - when I posted this on social media, I was literally attacked by her fans! I was given REASONS why I should like her. And "be her fan".

The only reason why I like ANY music is because it sounds good to me. I don't care about the political party of the singer, how attractive they are, how much money they earn, or donate to charity.
I need to ENJOY the MUSIC.

And I don't enjoy hers.

I was told that even if I don't like her music, I should be impressed with her success, and "still be a fan".

HUH? What am I missing? I can't be a fan of music that bores me.

Per Bloomberg (they posted on 10/26/23), she's the first artist to achieve billionaire status primarily from music ventures.

Rihanna and Jay Z are both billionaires, but a lot of their net worth comes from activities other than their own musical careers.

Bloomberg pegs Swift's net worth, they say conservatively, at $1.1 billion.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com.../104747644.cms

(the original is behind a paywall, so I included the above version as a link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2023, 07:15 AM

12,385 posts, read 8,144,253 times
Quote:
I am dissecting her as "art" not. "product".

I know that at 12, I would not have liked her either.
One thing about all the talent contest shows is that I have come to the conclusion that it is rarely about "art" as I watch all the talent that made it praise performer after performer for their greatness but it is about the product. Some people just got that thing that I can't quantify that keeps the public attention.

Now culturally Taylor Swift being 8 years younger was the next generation and picked up the niche as the anti Britney Spears and her era's teenaged sexual tease acts. And Swift has ridden that wave to date, as opposed to say a Miley Cyrus

Old 10-28-2023, 11:29 AM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
T.Swift put the NFL "on the map" for LOTS of her fans. And, she has A LOT.

Old 10-28-2023, 12:47 PM

2,045 posts, read 784,275 times
Quote:
That's so bad it's funny! T-Swizzle??? She called HERSELF that??

She was soooo bad in that video... I wish I could just unsee that.
That's a spoof, stop hitting yourself.

And be careful what you say, those Swifties will come after you like Scientologists when criticized.

Old 10-28-2023, 01:01 PM

88,546 posts, read 84,738,350 times
I learned only recently that Taylor Swift is hugely popular among the 20-and-30 something lesbian set. I found it out from a bisexual woman who has gotten shut down multiple on dating apps when she tells potential female dates that she doesn't like Taylor Swift's music.

I'm with you, Sheena, no depth, no heart or soul to it, from the little I've listened to, but I'm neither young nor a lesbian so maybe I just don't get it.

Old 10-28-2023, 04:58 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,780,831 times
Will Taylor Swift still be near the top at 40? Probably. Doing it pretty much the same way? Probably. At 50 or 60, out of game, in but different or the same? I dunno.

The next big white female stars, currently under 23? I dunno. There are emerging stars but their images & styles may be generally closer to the music scene norms than Swifty.

Old 10-28-2023, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Will Taylor Swift still be near the top at 40? Probably. Doing it pretty much the same way? Probably. At 50 or 60, out of game, in but different or the same? I dunno.

The next big white female stars, currently under 23? I dunno. There are emerging stars but their images & styles may be generally closer to the music scene norms than Swifty.
Kanye West would be happy to report that a decade older Beyonce is still up there. But Taylor Swift should be getting close to the yes or no on taking time off to give birth to children decision and then just touring off of her large catalog of songs phase of pop stars careers. As the fear of having the audience hold in a groan if she introduces the next song is from my new album is in the near future

Old 10-29-2023, 03:26 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,671,835 times
Quote:

Her fans appear obsessed. I hear her name daily in social media and on TV. On the news. On talk shows. My husband complained about her appearance at a football game.

So, we both decided to check out her music. I thought it was typical bland pop. Insipid lyrics, and trite music sung by a woman with a weak voice.

I never want to hear her sing again. I had thought that she was a typical pop princess who was adored by younger teenagers and tweens. Someone along the lines of Briteny Spears or Debby Gibson. I still think that.

HOWEVER - when I posted this on social media, I was literally attacked by her fans! I was given REASONS why I should like her. And "be her fan".

The only reason why I like ANY music is because it sounds good to me. I don't care about the political party of the singer, how attractive they are, how much money they earn, or donate to charity.
I need to ENJOY the MUSIC.

And I don't enjoy hers.

I was told that even if I don't like her music, I should be impressed with her success, and "still be a fan".

HUH? What am I missing? I can't be a fan of music that bores me.
HAHAHA...I totally agree with your points. I don't get her at all and I recall hearing a while back that she doesn't have lasting relationships. One day, she will fade into the woodwork. There are others currently, young performers, whom I feel possess real talent.

Old 10-29-2023, 06:23 AM

30,139 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
T.Swift put the NFL "on the map" for LOTS of her fans. And, she has A LOT.
Who would have thought that Taylor Swift would boost NFL popularity. But I can see that now.

Old 10-29-2023, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Who would have thought that Taylor Swift would boost NFL popularity. But I can see that now.
I guess her country music base is now irrelevant. Or youth and high school football in the country music fan's central locations have lost cultural market share to match the loss that baseball in America did a couple of generations ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music