Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 03:54 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,345,213 times

Advertisements

I gotta add another post just to say, as i've said before - I LOVE music, and i have since around age 10. I'm not a music snob and i like many types. There is room for ALL types, IMO. Just like books. Some people like the classics, and classical. Some people like to listen to a bit of everything. If you don't like "Pop," then you don't like it. Some people like to sing and dance around their house (or car lol) to a song. It makes them happy, and it makes musicians rich.

Don't hate. And if their career is over quickly, that's their problem. Taylor's been going since 2006; she's doing pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 04:25 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
I gotta add another post just to say, as i've said before - I LOVE music, and i have since around age 10. I'm not a music snob and i like many types. There is room for ALL types, IMO. Just like books. Some people like the classics, and classical. Some people like to listen to a bit of everything. If you don't like "Pop," then you don't like it. Some people like to sing and dance around their house (or car lol) to a song. It makes them happy, and it makes musicians rich.

Don't hate. And if their career is over quickly, that's their problem. Taylor's been going since 2006; she's doing pretty good.
I am not even a big Taylor Swift fan, but it's just the level of negativity, and the energy of these attacks on her as well as her fans, that compels me to reply. It's just not right, and the same thing pretty much goes for anything that's not old here - the artists get cut down as being stupid or talentless, and the fans get denounced as stupid. I hate to break it to people, but there was no special magic 60 years ago, or 50, 40, etc. And people who like old music are no more sophisticated than those who like new music. It may make you feel better about yourselves to pretend like you're better, but it's a lot of horses---.

Old 02-21-2024, 04:37 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Nothing like a bunch of people throughout the thread talking about how she'll fade away or doesn't sing as well as so and so.

Hey guys, her genre isn't my cup of tea but she writes her own music and can *gasp* play instruments.

Be informed. All the best.
That's where I'm at with her. Not my cup of tea but more power to her!!

Old 02-21-2024, 04:38 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,345,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I am not even a big Taylor Swift fan, but it's just the level of negativity, and the energy of these attacks on her as well as her fans, that compels me to reply. It's just not right, and the same thing pretty much goes for anything that's not old here - the artists get cut down as being stupid or talentless, and the fans get denounced as stupid. I hate to break it to people, but there was no special magic 60 years ago, or 50, 40, etc. And people who like old music are no more sophisticated than those who like new music. It may make you feel better about yourselves to pretend like you're better, but it's a lot of horses---.
Exactly! People are gonna like what and who they like. I go on YouTube to watch old stuff - some of the stuff that i miss. But i also laugh at some of it. Especially at one guy who i was never a big fan of (liked a couple of his songs), but people are still crazy over him after death, and visit his estate for a vacation! To each their own... (Yes, i know he made a big difference in music history etc.)

Old 02-21-2024, 05:52 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
So you're a musician. How many people come to see you perform? How many university classes are dissecting your lyrics?

In time, I lose the desire to listen to any music, at least with any frequency. In the 1970s, I was listening to The Who, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana, Jimi Hendrix... and they were great. But I can't listen to them indefinitely. I want to hear new sounds, and new styles. If you're denying the association with age I mentioned, I don't think you're paying much attention around here. It's old bands that are consistently lauded, and new bands are consistently derided. And I see the same thing with older friends and relatives - many of them are still stuck listening to the same things they listened to 30, 40 or more years ago, and if I try to turn them on to something new, they just can't get it, unless it's basically a retro band. It's like their minds are absolutely rigid and frozen back in the years when they first learned to appreciate music. And I find the derisive comments so predictable, and so tiresome, to put it mildly. It's not just Taylor Swift.
You're kind of being my hero with your comments.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:18 PM

27,547 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
I am not even a big Taylor Swift fan, but it's just the level of negativity, and the energy of these attacks on her as well as her fans, that compels me to reply.
Every popular artist in history has gotten the same reaction, usually from the older generation.

The people who are now young will be doing the same thing when they get old.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Old 02-21-2024, 11:12 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
What's the Big Deal with Taylor Swift?

Welllll, let's see ...... speaking as someone who could be her grandmother I'm not seeing much wrong with her ..... she's young, has a pretty face, beautiful smile, gorgeous eyes, a sexy body, not a bad dancer, she's musically talented, highly intelligent, she's versatile and writes her own music and lyrics, she sure knows how to tune in and play a crowd but she's not sleazy or slutty about it, she's very popular, she doesn't rock the boat too hard ..... and she's quite a wealthy entrepreneur now because of all of that - worth over one billion dollars and growing. And did I mention she's intelligent? Highly intelligent. I like that kind of smart success in an entertainer.

So what's NOT a big deal with Taylor Swift? It's just the people who don't like her, and they aren't a big deal with her. If some people don't like her music and other entertainments nobody is twisting their arms forcing them to like Swift or pay any attention to her.

I wish all the more power and glory to her.

Old 02-22-2024, 02:02 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
I suspect some of the negative comments are borne from the recent conspiratorial political hogwash going on. Let's just leave it at that.

Old 02-22-2024, 02:30 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Most popular isn't necessarily "best" or even good to all. Believing that all generations and types of music are equal or should be treated as such is one view. Believing that the top of the pop today is not as good as earlier generations (and lots of less popular music, new or not) and that this opinion is or can be beyond rigid / simple / "unfair" generational bias is another view. Think what you want, but folks with the another view have as much right to feel / occasionally share their view.

Taylor Swift's is not the worst music to me but I doubt I would give any song of hers or fragment I heard even a 6 of 10. And to me that isn't "hate", it is honest, subjective don't care for it musical opinion. I wouldn't have actively liked her music when I was 30+ years younger or probably if I was 30 yrs younger today. Even within her style of music, I'd prefer or much prefer others, contemporary or previous. Maybe I would have given it a longer listen or an easier pass but I wouldn't "like" it compared to many alternatives.

I don't really mind what other people like, don't like or hate in music. I might find it surprising or even ridiculous but I don't really mind.

I dont like it much though, fwiw, speaking of other experiences and not this particular thread, when I might say I don't care for or like some music (or something else) for it to be possibly and quickly called "hate". Spinning non-like as "hate" is pretty close to hate or at least reverse excessive. Imo.

So I'd say don't get that stirred up about what others like or dislike.

There is some music I really dislike, maybe even hate (possibly from involuntarily hearing it too much) but I can make that clear if / when I want to, if you care to take my word for it and not leap and decide that on your own.

Last edited by NW Crow; 02-22-2024 at 03:19 PM..

Old 02-22-2024, 02:33 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I have no clue about most young music, including her. I think she is a talented girl, but I don’t really get how super stars get that way, when many others who are better singers and song writers never get anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music