Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Like Polka Music?
Yes/Tak 20 66.67%
No/Nie 10 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 10:46 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,120,137 times

Advertisements

I love going to a nice German or Polish polka bar and having a few piwos and enjoying a good polka band. I normally don't listen to it much other than when I'm at a bar though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 10:56 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,352,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I love going to a nice German or Polish polka bar and having a few piwos and enjoying a good polka band. I normally don't listen to it much other than when I'm at a bar though.

That 2/4 polka beat is also big in the southwest amongst Hispanic groups, where they dance to corridos (runners), or Mexican polkas! They can be found at many dances, weddings, anniversaries, etc. Do I like polkas? Sure!

Old 06-07-2009, 12:26 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
I like polkas. We need more happy music. And it shows off the technique of the musicians. Some of that stuff is hard to play!

Old 06-07-2009, 04:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Dziękuję

By the way, the Mexican Polka was introduced by immigrant miners from Poland who brought their instruments with them, and their music caught on with the Mexicans and is still the staple rhythm of their music. The Polish immigrants settled in Sinaloa, in the early 19th century.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-07-2009 at 04:29 PM..

Old 06-07-2009, 04:38 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,334,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Dziękuję

By the way, the Mexican Polka was introduced by immigrant miners from Poland who brought their instruments with them, and their music caught on with the Mexicans and is still the staple rhythm of their music. The Polish immigrants settled in Sinaloa, in the early 19th century.
That is very interesting. I love to polka and I am particularly fond of the Mexican Polka. It's happy music and doing the polka is fun plus excellent exercise.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Dziękuję

By the way, the Mexican Polka was introduced to Mexico by immigrant miners from Poland who brought their instruments with them, and their music caught on with the Mexicans and is still the staple rhythm of their music. The Polish immigrants settled in Sinaloa, in the early 19th century.
That makes sense, because of the accordian instrument which is seen in most Norteño music, as well as the 2/4 beat which influences much of Mexican music. I went and found some info on this very influence here... and there! Thanx!

Old 06-07-2009, 04:52 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,935,527 times
Not exactly Polka but close enough to go down memory lane for some old timers here.

Back in the 30's and 40's in Canada my church (Hungarian) had a ladys group that would put on a social picnic at some farm outside of town. There would be the ethnic food...soft drinks for the kids...beer for the adults and of course a wooden dance floor with a live Hungarian band playing the music to dance too. Nearby on the same farm would be a Polish or other Foreign group with their picnic also. People would go back and forth between both and everyone had a good time with the proceeds of course going to the church.

Thats how I met a good looking Polish girl and learned to dance the Polka.

Fond memories never go away.

Steve

Old 06-07-2009, 04:58 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,786,978 times
Can't say that I do.
Then again, I must admit I haven't given it much of a chance.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Not exactly Polka but close enough to go down memory lane for some old timers here.

Back in the 30's and 40's in Canada my church (Hungarian) had a ladys group that would put on a social picnic at some farm outside of town. There would be the ethnic food...soft drinks for the kids...beer for the adults and of course a wooden dance floor with a live Hungarian band playing the music to dance too. Nearby on the same farm would be a Polish or other Foreign group with their picnic also. People would go back and forth between both and everyone had a good time with the proceeds of course going to the church.

Thats how I met a good looking Polish girl and learned to dance the Polka.

Fond memories never go away.

Steve
Great memories, Steve!

Old 06-07-2009, 05:32 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
My favorite name for a Polka band:

Bob Blecha and his Bouncing Czechs, who were very populat around Humboldt, Nebraska.

"Cousin Fuzzy" had a polka band with its own prime-time live TV show on WBAY-TV in Green Bay, Wisconsin, back in the 50s. In those days, you could go up and down the AM radio dial anywhere in Wisconsin, and hear polkas on at least ten stations.

I love this video, of the Michigan Tech Pep Band---it's not a polka, but it brings tears to my eyes.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16zzKRTszDM

Last edited by jtur88; 06-07-2009 at 05:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music