Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 04:30 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,395 times

Advertisements

Guthrie (you pick one)
Kristofferson
etc....
The list goes on for me.
I never really cared for the Beatles, personally. Nothing against them, just not my style
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 09:26 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Lennon and McCartney had the advantage of being able to arrange and perform their own songs, and thus craft them into whatever they wanted. They might not be so well recognized if they had to write their songs and then turn them over to other artists and arrangers to butcher.

Burt Bacharach and Hal David
certainly turned out a lot of great songs, but enjoyed no such advantage. Their songs had to stand on their own merits. Their hits reached #1 on the charts from 1957 ("Magic Moments", Perry Como) to 1986 ("On My Own", Patti LaBelle and Michael McDonald). Burt Bacharach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . When I just looked at that list of hits, I was blown away. I had no idea there were so many.

Very good post and points. You can make a good list of prolific writers from the 1950s through the 1970s, and if you narrowed it to a top 10, both Lennon/McCartney and Bacharach/David would certainly make that.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:11 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Elton John & bernie Taupin wrote great songs (hits) as well. My favorite songwriters though are lennon/mccartney. Lets not forget lennon & mccartney wrote their own music after the beatles broke up in 1970. George harrison wrote alot of his music & ringo starr wrote some but not many.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,599 times
Yes, Rodgers & Hammerstein, Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, Johnny Mercer and the great Duke Ellington are some of the greatest songwriters of all time. But, I do have to state that the level of impact that John Lennon and Paul McCartney had on the world and Western culture are unequalled by any body. Lennon and McCartney's influence is still being felt today, ask a random person on the street today if they ever heard of any of those great old songwriters and more times than not they would say they never heard of them. Not to forget the popularity of the Beatles (John,Paul, George and Ringo) songs are for the most part the soundtrack of the twentieth century, they wrote songs for every decade of the century whether it be the 20's "Honey Pie", the 30's "When I'm Sixty Four", the 50's rock & roll, the 60's where they revolutionized the world and music itself. John and Paul were the most innovative, creative, original songwriters that ever walked this planet Earth. Besides the record books don't lie.
Peace and Love,
Joe Blinn

Old 01-25-2010, 02:12 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,356,109 times
I think "best" in a category such as this one, is entirely subjective. My current fav's: Dave Carter; Dave Olney; Pat Maloney; Tom Paxton;
then there's Iris DeMent; Linda Bilque; Buffy St.Marie; . . . well a couple of these definatly deserve to be on the "best of the best" list.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:17 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,369,350 times
True enough, but I think that the Jazz and Swing composers of the 1920s and 1930s had as great or a greater impact on popular music. People like Henry Red Allen carried us from Flow Gently Sweet Afton to Wild Man Blues. You can't beat that for a leap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberfool909 View Post
Yes, Rodgers & Hammerstein, Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, Johnny Mercer and the great Duke Ellington are some of the greatest songwriters of all time. But, I do have to state that the level of impact that John Lennon and Paul McCartney had on the world and Western culture are unequalled by any body. Lennon and McCartney's influence is still being felt today, ask a random person on the street today if they ever heard of any of those great old songwriters and more times than not they would say they never heard of them. Not to forget the popularity of the Beatles (John,Paul, George and Ringo) songs are for the most part the soundtrack of the twentieth century, they wrote songs for every decade of the century whether it be the 20's "Honey Pie", the 30's "When I'm Sixty Four", the 50's rock & roll, the 60's where they revolutionized the world and music itself. John and Paul were the most innovative, creative, original songwriters that ever walked this planet Earth. Besides the record books don't lie.
Peace and Love,
Joe Blinn

Old 01-25-2010, 07:16 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,252,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
john lennon & paul mcartney wrote nearly 300 songs together & ALOT of them were hits. Paul is now 67 & john has been gone for 29 yrs (12-08-80).
There is so many I can't decide? I will post this as one of my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNMhPQoEbJE

Old 01-26-2010, 12:10 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
I tend to lean towards Pete Townsend being one of the best song writers. I think Tommy was brilliant, and Babba O'Reily was one of my favorites.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:19 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,280,243 times
Willie!

Willie and Waylon!

Kris K

Bowie

Sting

The Boss

Paul Simon (Art too!)

For some reason, the Beatles were never my thing. I give them props for accomplishing all they did, but they still don't rank at the top for me.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:47 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Lennon and McCartney never did much for me. The Beatles in general seem sort of lyrically bland, very obvious meaning that is repeated an awful lot. I wasn't alive when they were active, so I don't associate their music with any time, place, people, or events.

Bob Dylan's lyrics resonate very strongly with me. I suppose I enjoy the complexity, and find meaning in the imagery they convey. I can relate to Beat literature, which I think was one of Dylan's big catalysts for writing.

Van Morrison might be the most underrated songwriter of that generation, though.

Last edited by le roi; 01-26-2010 at 12:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music