Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 12:12 AM

503 posts, read 710,106 times

Advertisements

ok this is kinda response to the 2010's music
well,the 2010-2019 is bound to have artists in my age group(i'm 15 now so i guess up till the kids that are 20 now)
i think my gen is really gonna do good stuff with music.people think we all like the horrible ****ty crap on radio now but a lot us like classic rock and more experimental things.if anything it's only because the people in the media now are all these older people who are stuck on some 80's type get rich and have a good time bull crap and if you wanna fit into the music biz you better be young,sexified,and materialistic.eventually my gen is going to start breaking in and changing things.we have a lot of true feelings i think are gonna bleed out.

i think there is going to be a big backlash against the materialsticness.it doesn't fit with people my age.were by no means blessed with money.if anything we gotta heavy load.from the horrid economy,global warming,the endless war,and so on i think this really going to start being placed in music.i think we have the means to start a musical revolution.in wasy that would be so different.we could be this genreless generation.musicians ranging from metal to blues to punk all united by the internet,but more importantly a movement.everyone my age has gone through the same stuff,reguardless of musical taste.this inludes

A)wondering if the sun is going to melt us to death
B)not identifying with the medias "perfect cookie cutter" image
c) having economic issues
d)the war

these are all things really shaping people my age.believe me i've talked to a lot of people,this how we feel.it's the media that tries to brain wash us with the party music that is supposed to coax us.i can't even blame ke$ha that much for putting out her crap,because they honoestly would never market her if she wrote a song about stopping the war or the economy.it's all this facade of"now there's no war.everything is ok.go party" which isn't even relevant to most kids my age because our money goes to the gas bill.because dad lost his job.and trying to get a job at mc donalds means competing with middle aged people who are more qualified and aren't going to school.these are the issues we have and we deal with.all the music today is made by the rich for the rich.theres no meaning when all you do is blow money out of boredom.but with people my age there might be more substance.there are more struggles and feelings.heck all of us are now mostly middle to working class.we know life.and we know "shots" doesn't represent it.how about a song about the feeling of going to elementary school scared about the terror level every day?thats a song people my age can make.we know it we felt it.

also there are some good people out there making music but the media doesn't promote them

1) the white stripes made some of the best rock.they mixed blues and alternative and made really good stuff.the media stopped caring after 02,but they did maintain good record sales a lot of which were from teens my age.
2)same for the black keys
3)amy winehouse brought back a jazz/funk doo wop sound to pop music.that to me was a real break through.she also had meaningful songs,with relevance to human emotions.unfortunately she is rembered now as being a crack head thanks to the media.

also i think my gen's music will be great in variety but i think classic rock is gong to be a really big influence.from guitar hero making it relvant,he promotion of the beatles in 2009,to youtube spreading classic rock.one day take a lookat a doors vid or a janis joplin vid.see the comments from people my age saying"omg i love this music,it's my inspiration"

even right now there is somewhat of a psychedelic movement with bands such as the floorians,the black lips,the animals collective,and the asteroid#4.

also another artist i noticed was never shout never.i never really listened till the other day but he actually plays an instrument and sings with meaning. he's very big on myspace now and i think that shows a lot.
and i mean i never listen to too much modern stuff.i'm really deep in classic rock,my favs. being led zeppelin,janis joplin,the doors,the rolling stones,jefferson airplane,eric burdon &the animals,and a lot more.

so i think my gen can positively shape music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 07:07 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Lukeo if you wrote a piece like that for school your English Teacher would kick you out yet your enthusiasm for the future of music is awesome. I dont know what you think is going to happen but I am on your side. If the future of music (if you want to call it that) is more rhyming curse words and talking about shoving bottles up sisters south side then there is no future. The dumbing down of America due to the schools failure to teach anything worth while will add to the joy of listening to a song that says we should have sex wih our sister and kill our parents.

If music changes will the dress code change? Will kids stop wearing pants so large that you can conceal 13 semi automatics inside them without notice? Will they start wearing their hats on straight again? Will they let their hair grow again? Will they wear T-shirts that does not look like an evening gown? Will they stop saying yo and ho and homie and crap like that? These issues appears to be directly related to the street thug garbage kids listen to today.

I hope the wrap and hippity hoppity generation grows up and the new young generation comes up with something listenable. I hope so but I doubt it. I cant even picture a 50 year old person listening to wrap in the year 2030 because that is what they grew up with. I can see it now. An old parent playing his teenage music to his kids.
"Hey yo man u **** **** **** **** **** yo **** bang your *** or kill her". Hey kids this is what I used to listen to when I was your age.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:22 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,546,236 times
Default WoW! Somebody my age & DesertSun!

haaahaaahaaa! Hey Lukeo! We're 'round the same age! DesertSun is
Awesome by the way so don't get scared off by his strong views.
You can tell him the truth even if its different & he won't hold it against
you like a lot of people from other generations. Man this is AWESOME!

yeaap Guitar Hero & anime is really big so that means big bump ups
for classic rock & Metal... even rap kids are diggin hard the Guitar
Hero... not that their hip hop parents are likin it much! haaaahaaahaa

I think the "feelin" inside of rap/hip hop will stay like the dancin part
but the message of bling/clubbin/gettin high/ sexin has a limited life
span with teens if only cause they all sound the same

... not the dancin though! thats strong as ever

classic rock IS becomin more popular for sure

Glad to see you around Lukeo!

Jim

Old 01-27-2010, 08:18 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeo2194 View Post
.eventually my gen is going to start breaking in and changing things.we have a lot of true feelings i think are gonna bleed out.

.i think we have the means to start a musical revolution.

d)the war

these are all things really shaping people my age.believe me i've talked to a lot of people,this how we feel.it's the media that tries to brain wash us with the party music that is supposed to coax us.i can't even blame ke$ha that much for putting out her crap,because they honoestly would never market her if she wrote a song about stopping the war or the economy.it's all this facade of"now there's no war.everything is ok.go party"

all the music today is made by the rich for the rich.theres no meaning when all you do is blow money out of boredom.but with people my age there might be more substance.there are more struggles and feelings.heck all of us are now mostly middle to working class.we know life.and we know "shots" doesn't represent it.how about a song about the feeling of going to elementary school scared about the terror level every day?thats a song people my age can make.we know it we felt it.

also there are some good people out there making music but the media doesn't promote them

also another artist i noticed was never shout never.i never really listened till the other day but he actually plays an instrument and sings with meaning.

so i think my gen can positively shape music.
Never Shout Never reminds me a little bit of the Avett Brothers.
I appreciate you sharing your thoughts, Luke, and I agree with much of what you say.

When looking at current music, the one thing that really has puzzled me is the lack of rage against the (Iraq) war. I can only think of a few younger artists who have directly addressed it. Desert and I grew up with civil defense drills and later the draft. Many of us protested against the Vietnam war--music reflected this attitude.

I agree that the media has influence and bears some responsibility, but they are giving people what they *appear* to want. Escapism/debauchery sells.
Back during the 30's when the economy was in the gutter, musicals were popular; I think some people *wanted* to escape their worries.

It makes sense to me that there could be a backlash against the consumerist mindset, and these days it seems like there are a lot of rootsier bands along with the artists who create a more layered sound.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:33 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
...I agree that the media has influence and bears some responsibility, but they are giving people what they *appear* to want...
Interesting comments...but these references to "the media" in this thread, and in so many C-D threads puzzle me.

"The media" seems to be a bogeyman that anyone and everyone invokes for the fact that the current social and cultural scene in the U.S./World is not going the way they like. At one time this would have been "the devil" or at another "the commies".

What is this "media" in this thread?....newspapers, blogs, TV, videos, movies, news shows, magazines, music producers, the internet social networks, concerts?????

We live in a consumer society and have for many decades...maybe there is no reason to try to pin the blame on "the media." Perhaps the socio-cultural environment is just anemic, lame, wasted, but that being the case, this is usually the time when large changes occur in culture.

A number of massive changes have moved onstage in the world, but we (average) Americans seem to be in an equally massive state of denial.

1. In the next twenty years, barring a huge social disruption, China will quiqkly surpass the U.S. economically and in worldwide political influence. The U.S. will be competing for second place with the surging economies of India and Brazil, and perhaps with an E.U.style zone in SE Asia. This will cause deep psychological changes in the American psyche, as well as the American economy and life style and politics.

2. Maintream music in the U.S. has for a century and a half, and especially since the early 1900s, derived its main innovations and energy from the African-American subculture - first from the music of the Deep South, and later from major urban ghettos in the North. With the exception of small, and not deeply penetrating influences from Latin America this has been the furnace stoking 20th century popular music in the U.S. However, my guess is that this is coming to a close. The increasing prosperity of blacks, their finding a much larger space for them in the largely white culture will begin to seriously shrink the unique voice of the African-American and, thus, its ability to periodically revivfy mainstream music.

3. Latinos will become the majority in a society where the majority prior to the this has been made up of whites of European ancestry. Their influence in the field of music could turn U.S. music on its head in ways that are almost completely new to most of the American public. (Not a bad idea in my estimation.)

4. American pop&rock has depended on technology to make wretched music and lousy musicians sound good for at least three decades. Good spontaneous, live playing and singing is something most American pop&rock performers are incapable of and is virtually unknown by the listening public. The places in the world where the ability of humans beings to make music themselves, and where the influence of technolgy is still subordinate (for now) are Africa, the Arab world, and parts of South America. This is where the talent pool of artists and music lies in the world scene....and as these areas take new - more important - places in the world their music industries will be pushing their artists...you have already been seeing that to some extent in Europe. And it has had (IMO) a very beneficial effect on the music played in clubs, injecting new elements not heard in the U.S.

5. The war against Islamic insurgency will not be won in a military sense, and it may well be outrightly lost in the conventional battleground sense. This could have the effect of extremely diminishing the influence of the U.S. and Europe in cultural terms.

The changes underway in the world are many, and they are waves that are profoundly deep which will have a strong impact on the United States in the near-term.

With all due respects to the OP, all of the alternatives to the current music scene that he envisions have been framed in parochial terms, based on the past of American pop&rock....much of what is coming is likely to make that past far less relevant - in the world and the U.S. itself.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:26 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,278,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeo2194 View Post

d)the war
Add love/relationships to that list and you have the inspiration for almost all music....ever.

Having said that, I do hope your generation changes the direction of popular music for the better. Music is so visual these days, singers are signed based not only on how well they sing, but how they look and how they dance. it is unfortunate, i feel that a lot of talent gets left by the way because producers and promoters do not want to hire talent that does not fit the look, that isn't visually appealing. I think a lot of the soul has been lost from popular music, hopefully y'all can bring it back.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:28 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSilver View Post
haaahaaahaaa! Hey Lukeo! We're 'round the same age! DesertSun is
Awesome by the way so don't get scared off by his strong views.
You can tell him the truth even if its different & he won't hold it against
you like a lot of people from other generations. Man this is AWESOME!

yeaap Guitar Hero & anime is really big so that means big bump ups
for classic rock & Metal... even rap kids are diggin hard the Guitar
Hero... not that their hip hop parents are likin it much! haaaahaaahaa

I think the "feelin" inside of rap/hip hop will stay like the dancin part
but the message of bling/clubbin/gettin high/ sexin has a limited life
span with teens if only cause they all sound the same

... not the dancin though! thats strong as ever

classic rock IS becomin more popular for sure

Glad to see you around Lukeo!

Jim
Though I only partly.....no maybe mostly agree with what you said here I also want to thank you publicly for the good word about me. Seems like you got me pegged pretty good.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:16 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
"The media" seems to be a bogeyman that anyone and everyone invokes for the fact that the current social and cultural scene in the U.S./World is not going the way they like. At one time this would have been "the devil" or at another "the commies".

What is this "media" in this thread?....newspapers, blogs, TV, videos, movies, news shows, magazines, music producers, the internet social networks, concerts?????
Kev, I have to leave and don't have time to address your interesting thoughts, but for me, The Media is all of those forms of communication, including tastemakers on the internet--but the aspect of the media that really concerns me is stuff like Clear Channel.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:44 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
I think the biggest thing that is happening to this 'generation' of music is that many people are simply TURNING OFF MTV. I've noticed a lot more street huskers, bluegrass(ish) acoustic players, melodic songwriters and multi instrument groups that sound wonderful. Kids need to turn off the radio, turn off the tv and start listening to real music, not this prefabricated junk.

I've also noticed that more kids in the teen range are starting to recognize classical music and compositions as a whole. My younger brother (age 17) got into my car a few weeks ago and noticed that I was playing Handel. I was amazed.

I'm actually quite excited about music right now, but it's not going to be on tv or the radio.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:30 PM

503 posts, read 710,106 times
thank you all for replying to this.
and to kev what i'm saying is that the past repeats itself
every decade has a change depending on the last
ex the 50's were boring and dull and focused on the american dream and that things were perfect,when there was still alot wrong.

the 60's brought up these imperfections(black rights,hispanic labor,women's right's)and rebelled against the perfect image.

the 80's were a seemingly fast time inluenced heavily by a good time sort of feel.

the 90's were this like dark ambiguous time seeming to want to break away from the fast paced 80's

i'm just putting tat into persepective for the 2000's to 2010's

i never thought of it the way you said it though.it makes me thnik.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music