Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 09:13 AM

7 posts, read 10,622 times

Advertisements

Hi! My parents have planned a summer getaway to Myrtle Beach this year, and I'm looking forward to it as I have not been there in several years. Growing up in the Midwest we would go there for spring break quite often.

In my adult life, however, I have some concerns. I currently live in Los Angeles and am married to a Latino man. Our 4-year-old son is, of course, half-Latino.

How concerned should we be about getting stopped and asked for papers during our visit? My family members are all legal US citizens, but my husband is of a darker complexion and my son will surely tan up in the son!

My mom suggested I should accompany them when we stop at gas stations, etc., and we plan on bringing most of our food and recreational goods so we won't have to go out to eat very often. We are staying in a vacation rental, so we were planning to do that before we found out about the new laws. Plus, we don't want to contribute to the economy any more than necessary! (We planned the trip before we knew about the laws

Any advice would be appreciated...hopefully, the news we have heard is overstated...the US has changed a lot since I was a kid, and I've been in my utopian LA bubble for awhile, so it feels a bit like traveling to another country! (Or back in time!)

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 10:02 AM

6,900 posts, read 22,596,168 times
If they are legal US citizens what is your concern? There are people of all skin colors in this state as it is. I don't think you'll have any trouble as a tourist at all.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:27 AM

My concern is just that it's a hassle. We have such a large population here (in LA) that people only get pulled over if they're breaking a law (speeding, running red lights, etc.). I am glad to hear there is some diversity there! We'll bring our passports along so if anyone checks our papers it will be quick and we can get on with our vacation. Thanks for the reassurance!

Old 06-14-2012, 12:30 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,726,617 times
Don't be nervous at all. Relax in this beautiful place and enjoy yourself. No one will target you or be after you unless you do break a law.
( just like the rest of us here in MB)

Old 06-14-2012, 01:47 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,039,282 times
No one is going to pay a BIT of attention to you, unless you're doing something you shouldn't, like robbing a store or bank! Relax! I don't know how it is in LA, but it's pretty laid-back in MB!

Old 06-14-2012, 01:53 PM

460 posts, read 991,434 times
I'm having trouble believing that someone could actually ask this question.

Do you really think that law enforcement in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina is comparable to that of Nazi Germany, during WWII?

"Achtung! Show me your papers, show me your papers".

Seriously???? You really believe this????

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadGal View Post
How concerned should we be about getting stopped and asked for papers during our visit?

Old 06-14-2012, 02:20 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,850,048 times
Isn't it sad that this is the way much of the world views SC? I suspect the question is driven by SC's recent "illegal immigration act", which in part "would also require local police to check the legal status of people they stop for any violation if there's reason to believe they could be here illegally." It's basically an order for law enforcement to profile based on appearances.

The last I heard, portions of this law were on hold, pending legal action and review by the US Justice Dept. Maybe, some day we'll grow up and join the modern world...

Old 06-14-2012, 02:47 PM

Yes, I'm sure it is an exagerration of the media. (The same media that portrays LA as some wild, swinging Hollywood place with gangs on every corner, when in fact it's just a lot of people making a living, raising their kids and going about their daily lives).

The skewed media coverage is why I wanted to check with actual folks who live in SC to get a reality check. I recall Myrtle Beach as being very laid back, beautiful and fun, and with water you can actually swim in (too chilly for that here most of the time). It sounds like it is still the same! And I'm glad to see there are people who view the law as a possible Pandora's box, because it certainly could be (same as in AZ).

Can look forward to our holiday now! Thanks for your input.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:26 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,179,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muonic View Post
I'm having trouble believing that someone could actually ask this question.

Do you really think that law enforcement in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina is comparable to that of Nazi Germany, during WWII?

"Achtung! Show me your papers, show me your papers".

Seriously???? You really believe this????
Yes, this is what I thought also.

There are tens of thousands of Latinos that live in the Myrtle Beach areas.

What papers would someone be asked for?

Old 06-15-2012, 10:07 AM

142 posts, read 364,644 times
If you feel homesick, just drive up Hwy 707 which is off 17 Bypass just south of the airport, along the first 2 1/2 miles of this road are many stores/shops/restaurants that I have no idea what they are for everything is in Spanish.

Gary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area