Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 07:49 AM

99 posts, read 141,671 times

Advertisements

I see hundreds of really nice high end homes being built and many great neighborhoods. What kind of jobs do families have to be able to afford these nice homes, year round? I thought that the majority of jobs are seasonal - restaurants and hotels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 09:33 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,674,857 times
Pretty much any job you can think of exists here, just like most places in the USA. We have doctors, lawyers, judges, bankers, real estate, police and fire departments, nurses, lab technicians, owners of companies, car dealerships, mechanics, preachers, retail jobs, CEOs, etc. I could go on and on, but I think you probably get the idea.

Not everything shuts down in the off season. Most places/things don't shut down at all. Most restaurants and hotels also stay open year round.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:49 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,005,856 times
Most of the "really nice homes" have retired folks...spending their kid's inheritance!

Old 11-12-2015, 06:55 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,674,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Most of the "really nice homes" have retired folks...spending their kid's inheritance!
Hahaha! Oh, yes - I forgot to mention that aspect!

Old 12-08-2015, 06:02 PM

84 posts, read 393,769 times
I was down in Myrtle home shopping a few weeks ago
and almost every home I looked at there was and older couple
either from Pennsylvania, NY, or NJ looking at it also.

Had coffee every morning at a McDonalds down from my hotel every morning,
and there was a gaggle of older retired folks from NJ talking politics and scheming on how to fix the world.

Not sure if it was a gaggle, or flock :')

Old 12-08-2015, 07:33 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,550,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen View Post

and there was a gaggle of older retired folks from NJ talking politics and scheming on how to fix the world.

Not sure if the above is a slight or just ....... well, I will rise above and not say what I think.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:48 AM

75 posts, read 97,738 times
Also, do to technology, a lot more people can work from home(or anyplace) so they leave the dreary north and head to Myrtle. This is what we do and a few others folks we know. Heading down Dec 28-April 4th.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:31 PM

84 posts, read 393,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Not sure if the above is a slight or just ....... well, I will rise above and not say what I think.

Yea I was replying to cb at sea, and Vrexy's coment about the retired folk in their post above mine, I actually love the fact that they gather to pass time, knowledge, and ideas.

Up where I'm from I frequent a Denny's and there is a group of retired folks that gather every morning to discuss news, politics, and what not. Every so often they will ask me what I think, ill leave it at that, but it sure gets them going.

tmozer you did see the smiley face I used after the gaggle jest ?

Old 12-09-2015, 06:39 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,550,707 times
Sorry, I don't speak emoji. But I will reconsider your comments as "tongue in cheek" satire (and glad I did not respond with my initial negative reaction to your post).

Old 12-19-2015, 04:57 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,318,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen View Post

Funny how a few miles changes things. When we were down in September we stopped at a McDonald's in Aynor for breakfast and their gaggle was composed of a bunch of dyed in the wool, super friendly, native born farmer types who invited us to the hoedown they were having in town that day. I guess Aynor hasn't become a mecca for transplants yet.

BTW, have you ever stopped at a McDonald's in the morning and NOT seen a group of older folks having coffee and solving the world's problems? (I also say that tongue in cheek, because I think it's wonderful that they have this kind of daily fellowship and a chance to have deep discussions with others.) We have that here in Michigan and I have seen it in every corner of the U.S. from San Diego to Boston. Just something else that I love about this great country of ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area