Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 05:27 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,723,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Neither, yuck.

I went to summer school at Coastal and lived on the beach.

You'll find that many, many students live in Myrtle Beach.

Socastee is the pits and Conway is a small southern town.

Don't buy, rent. You'll never sell your house in Socastee because it is an undesirable part of town.
This is wrong. Socastee is not the pits at all. All towns have an area of less desire but this is usually a small part. I will give you that small part of Socastee.
Socastee is 8 minutes to the beach. It has gorgeous developments like Lake Park Plantation, and Glenmere. It is a perfect spot to shop in various grocery stores and other big box stores. You will have the brand new Target, Marshalls, Kohls, Lowes, Lowes Foods, Bi Lo, Ross and Hemericks ...amongst others close by.
It is a shorter ride then living in actual Myrtle Beach, to live in Socastee.
Conway is also a charming town. I go there when I need to be in a town environment and enjoy it
tremendously.
I'd listen with only slight interest on the pitfalls of living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 08:10 PM

178 posts, read 330,600 times
I would absolutely not buy until you've been here for a little bit, to decide what area you really do like. In the few opinions you've gotten on here, one person thinks Socastee is great and the other says it's the pits. I don't know about the different housing developments in Socastee but driving thru it on 707, it's just always seems dirty to me, and some mobile home parks that don't seem too nice. Rent for 6 months to get a feel for the place. Better to move twice, than buy a house in an area you may not be happy with.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:06 AM

540 posts, read 1,682,768 times
Oh gosh, I know this is an old thread, but I literally LAUGHED when I read the response saying that the crime was probably worse than Detroit. That isn't even possible.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:58 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,355,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post
Oh gosh, I know this is an old thread, but I literally LAUGHED when I read the response saying that the crime was probably worse than Detroit. That isn't even possible.
I join you in said laugh. Oh, and welcome back to City-Data.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:50 PM

178 posts, read 330,600 times
Me too, had a good chuckle, especially considering that the police in Detroit are no longer responding to 911 calls. The city is in a terrible mess!

Old 11-06-2012, 05:18 PM

5 posts, read 11,610 times
Myrtle Beach is my hometown. I chose to live in Carolina Forest because it is family oriented and halfway between Myrtle Beach and Conway. The schools are fantastic (Carolina Forest, Ocean Bay, and the brand new River Oaks in addition to the Magnet High School - Academy for the Arts & Science). We also have a brand new Library and Rec Center. It is extremely close to CCU and Tech but away from the "college scene" of campus.

I agree with everyone on the Rent Don't Buy option. I also agree that Socastee is "the pits"...sorry!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area