Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 06:11 PM

245 posts, read 763,435 times

Advertisements

I have used the conway hospital (something specific) and Wacammaw Hospital (ER) and was very pleased with both. I love Murrells Inlet and I am glad we chose this section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 09:19 PM

540 posts, read 1,682,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeFAN View Post
We had what seemed to be a decent job opportunity in the MB area and turned it down. It just didn't feel like a place where we wanted to live..might be a fun vacation spot, but I felt we'd be bored living there permanently. How many trips can you make to the Market Commons or Broadway at the Beach until it felt old? The ocean is somewhere buried behind the high rises or deep inside a state park.. and we hear now that it's one of the 12 dirtiest beaches in the country! Add in the traffic when tourist season arrives, the heat, questionable economy and crime.. and our decision was made. And, there is no decent talk radio, unless you want to listen to sports or religion... We're staying in beautiful Eastern TN on the lake.. and in the Fall we have the VOLS. No boredom here.. just no good bagels. Guess you can't have everything!

Wow, totally how we feel as well. Only, we live here now and feel that way. Took him a little under a year, took me about 6 months. Touristy stuff just isn't for me.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:37 PM

540 posts, read 1,682,684 times
They really don't expect a market turnaround for another 10-15 years or so, sadly (this is just what was said by a real estate expert on the local talk radio station, not by me!). Your money will definitely go far real estate wise. However, don't be looking into flipping a house any time soon. It just won't happen. There are 2 houses on my road that have been available for over a year, and they are in PERFECT condition. My parent's neighbor wound up having to sell their house for $30,000 less than asking price...which exactly how much less we got OUR house for (brand new construction and a little over 1/3 acre, none the less!) Watch out for HOA fees. Some are seriously higher than others.

If you're used to terrible schools, then you won't be disappointed! Teddy was point on with his assessment with the gov't here...stupid and/or corrupt just about covers it.

I was very happy as a patient of Grand Strand Regional. In fact, I felt I recovered faster from the identical surgery that I had there, compared to the one in NY. Maybe because I hated my surgeon?! Probably!! This one was awesome, as was everyone that I had contact with at the hospital. Waccamaw was good as well, treated my dad and my son great when they were patients there.

I know you say you can get over "slow/stupid" and the govt in NY costs you money all the time. I get that. But when the local govt here takes your money for a project...say to widen a road...and then spends it on something totally different, and then doesn't have the money to spend on said road, it irks people. Trust me when I say the local govt works in 2 speeds...slow and neutral. Just have patience.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:13 PM

7 posts, read 10,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post
They really don't expect a market turnaround for another 10-15 years or so....

I know you say you can get over "slow/stupid" and the govt in NY costs you money all the time. I get that. But when the local govt here takes your money for a project...say to widen a road...and then spends it on something totally different, and then doesn't have the money to spend on said road, it irks people. Trust me when I say the local govt works in 2 speeds...slow and neutral. Just have patience.
Market turnaround: Sweet. I don't intend to flip. I didn't intend to flip here, either, but we just sat down and decided what we're paying is nuts and we miss the beach. Among other things. Being down south will make us closer to his family (my mom is across the country) if/when we decide to spawn offspring we can have a little more help than up here, etc..

As for govt... I JUST got a letter from my mortgage company. My payment is going UP $200 a month more because they miscalculated how much property tax I owe. IT'S EVEN HIGHER. Not only do I have to play catchup high payments to make up for the escrow deficit, but the school taxes went up another 700, plus some on county and village. It'll making saving up hard, but COME ON, REALLY? I pay 400/mo mortgage P&I, and 500/mo on taxes/insurance. My insurance is less than $400 a year, so that is so not the culprit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area