Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 09:55 PM

152 posts, read 451,154 times

Advertisements

If you travel to Disney World, do you go the interstate or the back roads? What back roads do you drive if that's the way you go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 05:20 AM

256 posts, read 745,625 times
If you want to take your time go to labelle then pick 29 up at Palmdale and go up through Sebring. Some of the things to see on the way are Bok Tower and Chalet Suzanne.

It will bring you in to I 4 just w of Disneyworld.

Have Fun

Beth

Old 02-26-2012, 03:41 PM

It seems this may be quicker, and with less miles than going the interstate. Thanks, Beth!

Old 02-26-2012, 08:09 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
We just did our annual/seasonal trip to Orlando for a reunion/golf soiree last week. Took that inland route up, and the I-4 to I-75 south, back to Naples. It is pick your poison, imo...
The inland route is a different 'look', may be less miles, but not quicker in our 7 annual trips, and really dependent upon time of day and luck traffic-wise, imo.

If you want to 'get there', the inland route tends to really bog down in the towns along the way with the multitude of traffic lights, local drivers, etc. The interstate route is obviously people hauling azz to get somewhere.

In our experience, the interstate is faster, barring calamity, though possibly more tense, driving wise. Be prepared for the I-4 crawl, east bound, around D World and Orlando itself, regardless of which way one takes north.
GL, mD

PS: try to avoid gassing up around D World...the local news had several reports of really jacked up price per gallon, eg 4.50+, at some 'D & Sea World' area close-in stations.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:15 AM

I think that I will try the inland route going, and see if I like it. Interstates are nerve racking.

I usually find that the Hess station on Disney property close to Epcot has cheaper gas than other places, however with the gas going up I doubt if it will be cheap anywhere.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:18 AM

256 posts, read 745,625 times
I know you like birds. When you get N of lake wales there's a big slough on your right. Look for big white birds out there. Those are whooping cranes. Only place I've ever seen them

Have Fun

Beth

Old 02-27-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Mone` View Post
I know you like birds. When you get N of lake wales there's a big slough on your right. Look for big white birds out there. Those are whooping cranes. Only place I've ever seen them

Have Fun

Beth
I will watch for them. We saw a crane family with babies at the Tupperware headquarters last time we went up that way. They were so cute.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:26 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,090,042 times
I've been doing the commute between Naples and Orlando weekly for over a decade.

There is no easy way, but the shortest/quickest way is:

I75N to SR 78 east (first exit past the bridge over the Caloosahatchee) towards the Lee Civic Center.

Make a left at the end onto SR31 north to SR 70 (about 35 miles)

Make a left on SR 70, but get in the right lane immediately. Make a right on Turner Ave (Tractor Supply on the corner). Take Turner until it ends, which is SR 17.

Make a right (north) on SR17 and stay on it until you're in Lake Alfred. and follow signs to CR557/I4 (which will be a left turn just before leaving town).

Take 557 north to I4.

If you miss the 557 turn, you can stay on 17 until SR27 North, and pick up I4 from there. It adds about 10 minutes.

My average time from 951/Vanderbilt area to the Orlando airport is 3:05 going up in the daytime and 2:50 coming home late at night.

You go through a few small towns on the way, but there is little traffic in any of them except for Winter Haven.

The towns are:

Zolfo Springs (not much there but gas. The BP station has by far the cleanest bathrooms between naples and MCO)
Wauchula (gas/fast food)
Bowling Green (gas)
Ft Meade (gas fast food)
Bartow (gas, not much else on 17)
Eagle Lake (not much)
Winter haven (gas, lots of food choices)
Lake Alfred (not much)

If you like good BBQ, Smokey Joes in Bowling Green is top notch.

The "Pressco" gas stations/laundromats in Bowling Green and Ft Meade have the nastiest bathrooms I've ever seen. If you've ever seen the movie Trainspotting, they are as bad or worse than that one.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:37 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,897,778 times
The gas stations on 535 just outside the Hotel Plaza blvd Disney entrance are some of the worst price gouging offenders,there's one there that years ago used to have the gas like almost a dollar more per gallon than most of the stations,then they just stopped posting the price which leads me to believe they're still charging these crazy prices.The Hess stations inside Disney have good prices as do most of the other stations like in Kissimmee or International Drive but you really should avoid those stations on 535 in Lake Buena vista and probably by the airport.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:26 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,027 posts, read 6,544,694 times
Funny, the route Tripower55 list is exactly how my Garmin says to go North (Naples to SC). Coming the other way it does not use that route. Always wondered why......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples