Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 07:37 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times

Advertisements

I seem to be seeing a lot more articles about the naples market starting to creep back up to "normal" and investors scooping up all the homes again in Naples. I just wonder what world this is normal in? While I HOPE it never gets to where it was pre 06/07 I can't imagine what they consider normal when we are still overpriced compared to half thr country.

How is it normal for a p.o.s 2 bedroom house to go for $350,000? I just find it baffling that people enjoy that kind of market where everything is so overpriced that younger people just starting out or families trying to save for a house are essentially priced out of Naples before they even have a chance. I guess this is how it stays a retirement community. Only the established rich can afford it. Even rents are creeping back up again. It's hard to not even be priced out on a moderate budget for rent. It makes me think twice about telling people to come on down who are young families looking to get warmer weather or be closer to families. I might not be so quick to recommend Naples anymore of this is the trend.

Although admittedly another part of me is completely confused because I see weekly articles about all these businesses going belly up... IMO we are strip malled out.. How many food stores, tanning salons, bakeries etc can one town possibly hold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 10:26 AM

68 posts, read 211,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I seem to be seeing a lot more articles about the naples market starting to creep back up to "normal" and investors scooping up all the homes again in Naples. I just wonder what world this is normal in? While I HOPE it never gets to where it was pre 06/07 I can't imagine what they consider normal when we are still overpriced compared to half thr country.

How is it normal for a p.o.s 2 bedroom house to go for $350,000? I just find it baffling that people enjoy that kind of market where everything is so overpriced that younger people just starting out or families trying to save for a house are essentially priced out of Naples before they even have a chance. I guess this is how it stays a retirement community. Only the established rich can afford it. Even rents are creeping back up again. It's hard to not even be priced out on a moderate budget for rent. It makes me think twice about telling people to come on down who are young families looking to get warmer weather or be closer to families. I might not be so quick to recommend Naples anymore of this is the trend.

Although admittedly another part of me is completely confused because I see weekly articles about all these businesses going belly up... IMO we are strip malled out.. How many food stores, tanning salons, bakeries etc can one town possibly hold?
We're not really overpriced though. Look anywhere on the Pacific Coast for overpriced. Even the North East. Places not nearly as nice, costing more. I think Naples is still good value, personally.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:46 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,090,970 times
Awesome! I am looking to sell and get out of here in the next 2 years!

Old 06-20-2013, 11:47 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMark72 View Post
We're not really overpriced though. Look anywhere on the Pacific Coast for overpriced. Even the North East. Places not nearly as nice, costing more. I think Naples is still good value, personally.
Maybe , I dunno like I said I see places closing but then hear of new shopping centers goin up on every corner. Most of the homes that are reasonable $220,000 or less are scooped up so fast by investors that a lot of regular working class can't get their hands on em. Not a lot have that cash in hand to beat them out. It's not sad to see an area thrive, but it's sad to see the up and coming or working class people pushed out because of it.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:55 PM

5 posts, read 12,009 times
I can't afford Naples so am interested in the North Naples/Bonita/Estero areas. For those who live there now, do you see home values holding up better in certain areas more so than in others? I am concerned about buying a home there and then seeing resale value go down as new houses continue to be built.

There are so many homes for sale in addition to all the "new housing" being built mostly east of 75 in Bonita Springs and Estero. I'm not sure how that impacts the housing market and resale values. Reading this board, it seems there are so many people unhappy with SWFL and leaving the area, so I wonder if buying makes sense.

In real estate, they say location, location, location. Do houses west of 41 retain more consistent home values being limited in availability (since it's close to the water/beaches)? Here in NJ, areas close to the coastline beaches has significantly higher property values (until Sandy hit anyway). Also up north, being anywhere close to NYC is a huge advantage. Both areas retain their value despite the economy since the demand is high and supply is limited. Unlike FL, we don't have empty land for new housing developments so supply doesn't increase.

In SWFL, do buyers flock to the new housing developments (with all their amenities and corresponding HOA and CDD fees) leaving older homes to fall lower and lower in value? Is there more demand for gated retirement communities? Would it be a big risk (value wise) to buy an average house in a non gated community if so many working families are leaving? This board makes it seem like everyone is either leaving or wants to leave because it's too expensive to live there, jobs are either non existent or too low paying, people are rude, traffic is unbearable and the schools are horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples