Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 09:10 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times

Advertisements

Kings Lake is good as are all the developments off Davis-Countryside, Foxfire etc.

What is your housing budget?

What is your employment situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 10:53 AM

35 posts, read 55,181 times
We are planning on moving to Naples with our three children. We are upbeat, positive, non-whiners. With lots of family in the area, we are more than familiar with the general trade-offs and I would trade a pine tree for a palm tree any day.

Having said that, my major worry is just to find a neighborhood that is open to children and family friendly. I am researching my socks off to find the perfect neighborhood for us. I understand that not all neighborhoods are teeming with kids (there aren't many like that here either!) but I also don't want to disrupt a community of retirees with my three active boys...nor do I want my boys to feel like they can't ride bikes and be boys.

We've toured Riverstone, Raffia Preserve and get the general feel of Marbella Isles. We've also toured Saturnia and have friends living in Laurel Lakes. In our quest for a *little* bit more room between us and our neighbors we're now looking at the Vineyards, Wilshire Lakes & Monterey. Our budget can go up to about 850k max.

Riverstone was beautiful, but I just can't get past how close we would be to our neighbors. I would love to leave our sliders open in the cooler months from time to time to feel the breeze, but would feel weird knowing our neighbors could hear every word. Plus, as a mom raising three small active children, we aren't necessarily a quiet family.

Any suggestions on areas that we haven't considered? Or any that I listed that you think we should remove from our list? Does anyone know which neighborhoods/streets in the Vineyards are more geared towards families? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-26-2015, 02:07 PM

5 posts, read 9,806 times
I am in a forced early retirement so that has definitely had an impact on our budget. Husband is working at this time.

At this point we are thinking up to $150,000. Of course less would be better if we could find something nice. West of 41 would be preferred, as that being closer to beaches. I am not sure if that is possible in that price range.

We know we could get more bang for our buck in other areas, but totally fell in love with Naples on our first visit a few years ago. With every visit we love it more. I have looked in the Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda area on the recommendation of snowbirds that love that area. It is definitely not Naples! This will be our full time residence and have seen nothing as beautiful as Naples!

Thank you for the info you have posted. Any other ideas, suggestions, input you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:36 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,544,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesWannaBe View Post
I am in a forced early retirement so that has definitely had an impact on our budget. Husband is working at this time.

At this point we are thinking up to $150,000. Of course less would be better if we could find something nice. West of 41 would be preferred, as that being closer to beaches. I am not sure if that is possible in that price range.

We know we could get more bang for our buck in other areas, but totally fell in love with Naples on our first visit a few years ago. With every visit we love it more. I have looked in the Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda area on the recommendation of snowbirds that love that area. It is definitely not Naples! This will be our full time residence and have seen nothing as beautiful as Naples!

Thank you for the info you have posted. Any other ideas, suggestions, input you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

West of 41 for $150K?? Sign me up!

Seriously you will need to look East of 41, perhaps even East of 75, for something nice for less than $200K.......

Old 04-26-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:

Tmozer is right west of 41 will be impossible.

150K is probably doable but will likely be tight even for a condo.

Will your husband be retired? If not, what field? Will he need a job? Kids with you?

I lived in the Glades and Winterpark years ago as a renter. I liked both those places but I was young and single...Glades has a golf course; Winterpark does not. I have no idea about HOA fees.

If you post more information about your situation we can give better advice.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_lem0n View Post
We are planning on moving to Naples with our three children. We are upbeat, positive, non-whiners. With lots of family in the area, we are more than familiar with the general trade-offs and I would trade a pine tree for a palm tree any day.

Having said that, my major worry is just to find a neighborhood that is open to children and family friendly. I am researching my socks off to find the perfect neighborhood for us. I understand that not all neighborhoods are teeming with kids (there aren't many like that here either!) but I also don't want to disrupt a community of retirees with my three active boys...nor do I want my boys to feel like they can't ride bikes and be boys.

We've toured Riverstone, Raffia Preserve and get the general feel of Marbella Isles. We've also toured Saturnia and have friends living in Laurel Lakes. In our quest for a *little* bit more room between us and our neighbors we're now looking at the Vineyards, Wilshire Lakes & Monterey. Our budget can go up to about 850k max.

Riverstone was beautiful, but I just can't get past how close we would be to our neighbors. I would love to leave our sliders open in the cooler months from time to time to feel the breeze, but would feel weird knowing our neighbors could hear every word. Plus, as a mom raising three small active children, we aren't necessarily a quiet family.

Any suggestions on areas that we haven't considered? Or any that I listed that you think we should remove from our list? Does anyone know which neighborhoods/streets in the Vineyards are more geared towards families? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Family in the area? Where? What do they think?

I am always at a loss when people post here looking for family friendly since that can be challenging with most areas here.

Golden Gate City and Golden Gate Estates are definitely family friendly. If you want space look at GG Estates.

That budget gives you a lot of options. Have you looked in Imperial? The place is huge with a variety of housing options. I have a coworker that lives there and says it is definitely family friendly.

Last edited by RMD3819; 04-26-2015 at 04:33 PM..

Old 04-26-2015, 03:45 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
Quote:

We started looking in Naples but ended up buying in Venice. I too loved Naples, but the traffic and sprawl was a bit too much, plus everything was pretty expensive. We took a vacation to Venice and everything I liked about Naples I found in Venice at a much lower price. It too has a quaint downtown. Beaches are free and there are plenty of them. You get a lot more housing for your buck.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:52 PM

5 posts, read 9,806 times
Thanks to everyone that has responded so far. Were we pretty naive to think that was a doable budget for Naples?

My husband will be retired and no kids with us.

I will start to check out the Venice area, but we really would like to be in Naples. We are open to other thoughts and suggestions. It just may not be possible for it to be in Naples.

Thanks

Old 04-26-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks to everyone that has responded so far. Were we pretty naive to think that was a doable budget for Naples?

My husband will be retired and no kids with us.

I will start to check out the Venice area, but we really would like to be in Naples. We are open to other thoughts and suggestions. It just may not be possible for it to be in Naples.

Thanks
Naive? A little. A lot will now depend on what your retirement income will be. If you can give a range that would be helpful and could make or break it. Paying cash for that condo?

That budget is still doable in a safe area but you won't be at the lifestyle most outsiders think about when they mention Naples.

I'm trying to be optimistic here but you are having doubts and already have a fringe housing budget....

Read my thread about Naples here. It is older but mostly still valid. A lot of people found it helpful.

//www.city-data.com/forum/naple...l#post14807112

Old 04-26-2015, 07:20 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,544,694 times
We paid less than $150 for our lake front two BR/Bath condo in the Lakeside community in North Naples (Airport and Vanderbilt) about 5 years ago. While East of 41, still only 4 miles from Vanderbilt beach. Prices have risen a little, but I have seen unit sell recently for $150 or less. Very nice, well kept gated community. We are retired also.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples