Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 01:53 PM

7 posts, read 11,300 times

Advertisements

I suppose I better not need to be sold too much since our home in CT is under contract and we are scheduled to move to Naples in July but humor me nonetheless. I have yet to find the right house, and the snow is no longer on the ground so I find myself increasingly nervous about this move.

Here is the abridged version of our story:

- My wife and I are in our mid 30's

- We have a (almost) 6 year old son

- She is a stay at home mom and I am a partner in a consulting firm so there is no need to worry about changing jobs

- Her parents have moved (8 months out of the year) to Naples

- We have spent about 2 months in Naples every year for almost the past 10 years

- We know enough about the area to know that we do truly enjoy (if not, love) it there even out of vacation mode.

- I am originally from CA, and while I have been in CT for over a decade and will miss the seasons, I do remember how sweet constant sunshine and warmth is.

- We have narrowed down the home search to the Pelican Marsh/Pine Ridge/Barron Collier district

- We have looked at multiple communities (new build & established) and over 40 homes in the past year.

- Within that we have decided that Monterrey (off Orange Blossom) is the community for us. We have stopped looking elsewhere.

- We live in a more rural part of CT, so Naples actually has much more to offer our son/family than where we currently live (i.e. Children's Museum, Zoo, Parks, Beach, etc.)

- I am a big golfer so that is a no brainer.

- As a family, we like to be outside. Riding bikes, swimming, playing sports... Anything.

That's us in a nutshell. Even as I type out that list part of me gets excited and I remember how much I love Naples. But... There is this constant worry or doubt in the back of my mind that is asking myself if we are doing the right thing. I don't know if it is because change is hard and scary. I don't know if it is because I am selling a beautiful house and I have yet to find a new home to get me excited. Or if it is something else all together.

I have lurked this forum and got some valuable data over the last few months. Thank you!

I now ask this. If you are reading this and you were in my shoes at some point. How has the move gone? Sell me on Naples!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 04:02 PM

18,432 posts, read 8,266,769 times
Researchers scoured the nation to discover that 75 percent of residents in Naples, Florida, were the most healthy in the country. [LEFT]
Map reveals America's healthiest eaters are in Florida | Daily Mail Online

[/LEFT]

Old 05-04-2017, 05:49 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
The only shock you will face are the hot humid, long summers. You may find that you will do outdoor activities in reverse to what you are used to - a lot outside in winter, more inside in the summer.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:42 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,088,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The only shock you will face are the hot humid, long summers. You may find that you will do outdoor activities in reverse to what you are used to - a lot outside in winter, more inside in the summer.

The summers seem to be getting longer too. It used to be that the misery would start in mid April and then we'd get a break from the 100+ heat index, every single day, in late October.

The last few years, we haven't seen decent weather until Jan. I'm hoping it's just a cyclical thing and we'll go back to 6.5 months of sauna per year, vs 8+.

I used to be able to shut down my AC for weeks at a time in winter. During the last few years, I've been able to open up the house less than 20 days per, if that.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:13 AM

18,432 posts, read 8,266,769 times
Trip, we've just had a series of weak La Ninas....and just came off a strong long El Nino....You're just remembering when we had stronger La Ninas

. normal pattern, they cycle

Old 05-05-2017, 09:47 AM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
What time of year were your visits? Have you ever stayed in the summer?

Old 05-05-2017, 09:57 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,607,775 times
RE: "- I am a big golfer so that is a no brainer."

On your several trips to Naples area in past, you may have noticed that if one is not a member of a club it makes for difficulty in getting a tee time/getting on most courses, during the Season ~ Nov through April.

GolfNow, et al do provide for some non sold out tee times at some clubs, but the OP might consider an off campus golf membership at a club to assure one can get in during peak season...in the Africa Hot summer, not much problem.

If you are/will be a member, then disregard my comment...
GL, mD

Old 05-05-2017, 11:29 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,088,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Trip, we've just had a series of weak La Ninas....and just came off a strong long El Nino....You're just remembering when we had stronger La Ninas

. normal pattern, they cycle
In almost 30 years living here, full time, I don't recall it being as hot, for as long, as it has been the last 3-4 years. The weak El Nina's are the culprit, but it doesn't change the fact that it's been miserable to be outside for most of the year lately. I guess I got lucky the first 25 years or so I lived here.

There were the odd years when we were cheated out of good weather for much of the winter, but not as consistently as it's been lately. I save all my outside work for the winter, and the heat index during much of the last 2 Decembers was well over 100. I ended up not repainting the exterior of my house this winter. It was far too hot/humid for most of the time I was off on vacation from work and had the time to do it, which was from mid Nov to mid Jan.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:57 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
In almost 30 years living here, full time, I don't recall it being as hot, for as long, as it has been the last 3-4 years. The weak El Nina's are the culprit, but it doesn't change the fact that it's been miserable to be outside for most of the year lately. I guess I got lucky the first 25 years or so I lived here.

There were the odd years when we were cheated out of good weather for much of the winter, but not as consistently as it's been lately. I save all my outside work for the winter, and the heat index during much of the last 2 Decembers was well over 100. I ended up not repainting the exterior of my house this winter. It was far too hot/humid for most of the time I was off on vacation from work and had the time to do it, which was from mid Nov to mid Jan.
It could be worse - you could be on LI paying the tax man...

Old 05-05-2017, 01:07 PM

40 posts, read 116,683 times
We moved permanently from CT to Naples back in 2014 and although we miss much of what CT is and still consider it "home" we for the most part don't regret our move. Golfing twelve months a year, beach and outdoor activities anytime is exactly what we were looking for. Being here year round getting used to the hot and humid summers did take an adjustment and we learned any outdoor activities were done early in the day. Our dollar goes much further here in Naples, especially for utilities although cost of living on many other things is about the same. We do miss the bucolic countryside of rolling hills and two lane roads that we had in our hometown but on the other hand you don't shovel sunshine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples