Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 01:11 PM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times

Advertisements

Trip....you're 30 years older!....stop watching the heat index, that's the problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 02:25 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,089,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Trip....you're 30 years older!....stop watching the heat index, that's the problem
"Watching" the heat index is not the problem, it's enduring it for 9 months per year. I don't even have to look at it to know that it's hot out when you can't be outside, in the shade, for more than a few minutes without sweating through your clothes.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:28 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,089,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
It could be worse - you could be on LI paying the tax man...
Nope, I escaped that nonsense at a very early age. I'd have paid nearly half a million more in taxes had I stayed there all this time.

That still doesn't make 95 squared for 9 months any more comfortable.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:43 PM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times
dunno....I grew up in South Miami, Coral Gables.....sounds like normal to me..Miami, with all the roads, buildings, etc actually gets hotter.
...after 30 years I would have figured you be acclimated to it...or at least adjusted

Anywho, I like it....I can't take cold...and the older I get the less I can take it....I can always take clothes off....once I get a bone cold, nothing gets me warm

Old 05-05-2017, 02:54 PM

7 posts, read 11,303 times
I appreciate the responses.

To answer a couple of the questions.

- While the majority of time spent has indeed been in the Nov-April months, we have also been there in the summer a few times. I am not necessarily scared of the heat in summer, but I also hope we are not underestimating it. CT has at least a few weeks of high 90's with high humidity and it has never bothered me. Maybe it will over a prolonged period, but we are willing to trade that for being stuck inside all winter.

- Regarding golf, I do know that there are a ton of different courses, and I realize they are difficult to get on in the season. I am a member of a club here and plan on joining once I find the right one. So that should be a non-issue.

Any recommendations on clubs that might have a younger membership?

Old 05-05-2017, 04:09 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
In almost 30 years living here, full time, I don't recall it being as hot, for as long, as it has been the last 3-4 years. The weak El Nina's are the culprit, but it doesn't change the fact that it's been miserable to be outside for most of the year lately. I guess I got lucky the first 25 years or so I lived here.

There were the odd years when we were cheated out of good weather for much of the winter, but not as consistently as it's been lately. I save all my outside work for the winter, and the heat index during much of the last 2 Decembers was well over 100. I ended up not repainting the exterior of my house this winter. It was far too hot/humid for most of the time I was off on vacation from work and had the time to do it, which was from mid Nov to mid Jan.
You're not the only one. In the 80's and 90's I remember frequent hard frosts during the winters followed by windows open from Oct-April. Nearly non-stop. This year we've barely opened the windows due the constant heat and miserable humidity. I have pictures of my daughter half out of her Halloween costume with a beat red face and miserable. People were handing out ice pops and water instead of candy at some of the houses.

This past summer was probably the worst I can remember. Triple digit heat indexes (my highest recorded is 117 heat index). There isn't a huge distinction in season anymore as there once was. I've been here 34 years so we remember it differently when it was probably a lot better to be here. Now its just overbuilt and overly hot. Thankfully my weeks are numbered, after this many years we've had enough. Even my husband who thought this was paradise after living 17 years in northern Maine can't wait to leave.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:12 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
That's like telling someone to stop dressing for the wind chill. Big difference between 30 degrees and 30 degrees with a -10 windchill.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:26 PM

11 posts, read 12,868 times
I moved to Naples one year ago from the mountains of Colorado. There, we had winter 9.5 months of the year without any humidity.

I arrived in Naples on June 13, and the heat and humidity took some getting used to. It was a shock, and it was strange to have my glasses fog up when leaving a building or car.

For me, it was noticeably glorious by the end of October. From that point forward it was fantastic. Yes, a humid day here or there, but I walked my dog at 6 AM wearing a light sweater for 4 straight months. We had about 10 days when it was even chilly to cold. I think I turned my heat on 3 or 4 times early in the day. We had a really humid week several weeks ago..but then it went back to glorious.

I know the hot humid weather will be back soon... maybe tomorrow. But today it poured rain finally, and it was in the low 80s when I left work.

I love it here, and I think you will to. If you don't you can always move back.

Old 05-06-2017, 04:06 AM

214 posts, read 286,237 times
We've been here 6 years full time and the summer doesn't bother me. Occasionally I'll "feel it" when I open the door to head out to work and my glasses fog up...but it's true that the northern states end up over 100 for about a week every summer. We have not hit 100 in my years here. And it's much easier to endure than northern winters. Just my 2 cents.

I'm not a golfer so can't comment on clubs, but will be interested in what people say about clubs with "younger" membership. My best bet to associate with younger professionals might be via civic organizations and nonprofits.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:38 PM

121 posts, read 162,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
You're not the only one. In the 80's and 90's I remember frequent hard frosts during the winters followed by windows open from Oct-April. Nearly non-stop. This year we've barely opened the windows due the constant heat and miserable humidity. I have pictures of my daughter half out of her Halloween costume with a beat red face and miserable. People were handing out ice pops and water instead of candy at some of the houses.

This past summer was probably the worst I can remember. Triple digit heat indexes (my highest recorded is 117 heat index). There isn't a huge distinction in season anymore as there once was. I've been here 34 years so we remember it differently when it was probably a lot better to be here. Now its just overbuilt and overly hot. Thankfully my weeks are numbered, after this many years we've had enough. Even my husband who thought this was paradise after living 17 years in northern Maine can't wait to leave.
You and Tripower are correct. I don't care what anyone says or believes the summer in Florida have become longer and hotter in duration. When I first moved to Naples in the mid 70's the summer heat ran from June through September. May was a transitional month from warm to hot and October was the transitional month to cooler weather. Most years by mid October the AC was off for the winter and the window were open until May. In fact the winters were cooler back then. I too remember frosts many winters. You could almost count on at least one or two frosts occurring usually in December, January or February. But over the years the summers with the heat and humidity kept getting longer and the winters while cooler of course also became warmer over all. There were several winters where it did not seem to hardly cool down at all. The last few years that we lived in Naples our AC was on just about all year long except for the occasional cool front in the winter. Heck it has been 90 degrees the past two Christmas's in Naples. We visited in January and it was warm and humid then. The non stop heat is one of the reasons that we choose to leave Naples after retirement. I can honestly say we do not miss it at all. I am enjoying have four seasons once again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples