Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 12:42 PM

121 posts, read 162,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
The summers seem to be getting longer too. It used to be that the misery would start in mid April and then we'd get a break from the 100+ heat index, every single day, in late October.

The last few years, we haven't seen decent weather until Jan. I'm hoping it's just a cyclical thing and we'll go back to 6.5 months of sauna per year, vs 8+.

I used to be able to shut down my AC for weeks at a time in winter. During the last few years, I've been able to open up the house less than 20 days per, if that.
I concur with your observations. I don't care what anyone thinks or believes. The summers in Naples have gotten much longer and hotter over the years. We I first moved to Naples in the mid 70's the summer was from June through September. Not anymore, it last about 8-9 months of the year. The winters such as they are have also gotten a lot warmer than they use to be. Back years ago you could almost count on at least one or two frosts every year. When was the last time there was a frost or freeze there? The heat and the humidity was one of the primary reasons we choose to leave Naples after retirement. I don't miss it at all. We are enjoying the four seasons once again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 04:13 PM

82 posts, read 155,404 times
It must depend on one's own ability to deal with the heat. I (in Estero) just turned the ac back on last Saturday - its been off for months and the windows have been left open. Even this weekend I've shut the ac back off. Yes it does get hot, but there are many many months where it is more than comfortable outside.

Old 05-06-2017, 04:29 PM

18,469 posts, read 8,292,857 times
I was curious about So Fla temps, so I looked it up.
If you guys came here ~30 years ago, or in the '70's...you came at the bottom of that sine wave.
...if the sine wave continues, we're going back to cooler temps again...

http://appinsys.com/globalwarming/RS...s/image001.jpg

Old 05-06-2017, 06:26 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
I was curious about So Fla temps, so I looked it up.
If you guys came here ~30 years ago, or in the '70's...you came at the bottom of that sine wave.
...if the sine wave continues, we're going back to cooler temps again...

http://appinsys.com/globalwarming/RS...s/image001.jpg
Note the scale on the left. Bottom to top is only a few degrees.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:23 PM

18,469 posts, read 8,292,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Note the scale on the left. Bottom to top is only a few degrees.
Yeah but they all felt that 1 1/2 degree anomaly

Old 05-07-2017, 12:05 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,092,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Yeah but they all felt that 1 1/2 degree anomaly

Yeah, 95 feels so much more bearable than 96.5.

How about using some actual Naples data, and not the entire state averaged over 150 years?

This was the first one that popped up on a Google search:

Naples December Weather 2016 - AccuWeather Forecast for FL 34102

It only goes back to 2016, but it does compare the daily temps with historical averages for Naples. As I've been saying, the last few winters have been exceptionally hot (not 1.5 degrees C hotter) and, although not noted on that site, significantly more humid.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp1234 View Post
It must depend on one's own ability to deal with the heat. I (in Estero) just turned the ac back on last Saturday - its been off for months and the windows have been left open. Even this weekend I've shut the ac back off. Yes it does get hot, but there are many many months where it is more than comfortable outside.
I agree that it's all up to your temperature tolerance.

If you're AC has been off for months, you must be able to tolerate living in sauna like conditions. There has been a total of maybe 2-3 weeks since November where the weather was cool enough to have the AC not kick on, even at night.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:33 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
Yeah, 95 feels so much more bearable than 96.5.

How about using some actual Naples data, and not the entire state averaged over 150 years?

This was the first one that popped up on a Google search:

Naples December Weather 2016 - AccuWeather Forecast for FL 34102

It only goes back to 2016, but it does compare the daily temps with historical averages for Naples. As I've been saying, the last few winters have been exceptionally hot (not 1.5 degrees C hotter) and, although not noted on that site, significantly more humid.
The big question - is this a result of weather patterns or climate change? If it cycles then not too bad. If a permanent shift then that AC will be kicking on longer.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The big question - is this a result of weather patterns or climate change? If it cycles then not too bad. If a permanent shift then that AC will be kicking on longer.
I'm hoping it's just cyclical, and La Nina will return to her historical levels, and we soon cycle back to what we had for most of the first 20-25 years or so of our living here. Nice winter weather is, along with low taxes, one of the few awesome things about living here, and we've been getting cheated out of much of it for the last few years. It was a consolation for putting up with the influx of snowbirds that accompanied it.

The summer misery has pushed deeply into both sides of winter lately, this weekend's outstanding weather anomaly notwithstanding.

I'm looking forward to an afternoon of working in the garage in dry clothes, the door open, without the AC on. Can't say that too often, so I am taking full advantage of this unusually comfortable, especially for May, weather.

I missed out yesterday because we had the daughter's graduation stuff all day, but at least it was nice for the pics and stuff.

Last edited by Tripower455; 05-07-2017 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples