Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 11:05 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fltaz View Post
You and Tripower are correct. I don't care what anyone says or believes the summer in Florida have become longer and hotter in duration. When I first moved to Naples in the mid 70's the summer heat ran from June through September. May was a transitional month from warm to hot and October was the transitional month to cooler weather. Most years by mid October the AC was off for the winter and the window were open until May. In fact the winters were cooler back then. I too remember frosts many winters. You could almost count on at least one or two frosts occurring usually in December, January or February. But over the years the summers with the heat and humidity kept getting longer and the winters while cooler of course also became warmer over all. There were several winters where it did not seem to hardly cool down at all. The last few years that we lived in Naples our AC was on just about all year long except for the occasional cool front in the winter. Heck it has been 90 degrees the past two Christmas's in Naples. We visited in January and it was warm and humid then. The non stop heat is one of the reasons that we choose to leave Naples after retirement. I can honestly say we do not miss it at all. I am enjoying have four seasons once again.
Its becoming a running theme with people leaving. Myself, my sister, my mother, both my brothers, my father, my sister in law and aunt have all left Florida. Main complaint.. weather.. Btw we've all lived here 30+ years. I can't tell you the countless number of friends that have left. Most left for Cali, Colorado, Tennessee, and the Carolina's (which is where we are heading in a few weeks ourselves. Unless you've lived here since the early 80's you just don't get the change that has happened. Its really a huge HUGE difference. I hear people talk of the "season change" they can feel here now and I question their sanity lol. We had very distinct changes decades ago. Now I haven't turned my A/C off for maybe 4 days in a one year cycle. Christmas was miserably hot this past year. Nothing like getting that new bike and going outside to sweat to death while trying it out and coming in to have hot chocolate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 01:34 PM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
I'm hoping it's just cyclical,
Probably...either that or it's getting back to what's really normal.

...don't forget, 1977 was the only time in history that it snowed in South Florida

So that period was definitely not normal.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:24 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,089,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Probably...either that or it's getting back to what's really normal.

...don't forget, 1977 was the only time in history that it snowed in South Florida

So that period was definitely not normal.
I hope not. If that's the case, I'll have to become a dreaded snowbird......

Old 05-07-2017, 03:22 PM

LOL!......naw, just grow tomatoes in the winter...and orchids and heliconias in the summer

Old 05-07-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
LOL!......naw, just grow tomatoes in the winter...and orchids and heliconias in the summer
Will that make the winters cooler than the summers around here?

Old 05-07-2017, 04:01 PM

That has to come with a huge caveat...
If you actually plant tomato seeds....you will have the exact opposite weather you wanted.

What you have to do is think real hard all summer "this year I'm going to grow tomatoes again"....
...then get too lazy to actually do it
Three months into season, when it's too late to start seeds......you'll have a perfect winter!

....that's the way it always works for me!

Old 05-07-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
That has to come with a huge caveat...
If you actually plant tomato seeds....you will have the exact opposite weather you wanted.

What you have to do is think real hard all summer "this year I'm going to grow tomatoes again"....
...then get too lazy to actually do it
Three months into season, when it's too late to start seeds......you'll have a perfect winter!

....that's the way it always works for me!
So, using that logic, I should plan on painting my house in August.

Old 05-07-2017, 05:05 PM

Not quite...but you've got the idea

You should have said all summer "the house doesn't really need painting, I'll wait another year or two."...and don't think it again

...then about the end of Nov, totally out of the blue, grab everything and get on it

You have to trick it.

I just painted half our house, and the carport floor....snuck up on it, and got away with it

Old 05-07-2017, 08:09 PM

82 posts, read 155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
I agree that it's all up to your temperature tolerance.

If you're AC has been off for months, you must be able to tolerate living in sauna like conditions. There has been a total of maybe 2-3 weeks since November where the weather was cool enough to have the AC not kick on, even at night.
It's 67 degrees in Estero now with a light west wind - all the windows and sliders are open and the ac's been off since Friday.....

Old 05-07-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp1234 View Post
It's 67 degrees in Estero now with a light west wind - all the windows and sliders are open and the ac's been off since Friday.....
Mine is too.

But..............

This current cool weather is not what we've been dealing with for most of the last winter, nor is it typical for May. It's a nice bonus though, and I am not complaining. Well, at least until tomorrow or the next day when it's 90 squared again, and will be until the first cold front moves through, next January.

When it is 85+ degrees out, do you still leave your AC off and house open?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples