Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2008, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 13,246 times

Advertisements

I will need to furnish a two bedroom condo in Naples so that I can rent it as a "furnished rental". I need to do this tastefully but yet i need to keep the price VERY reasonable. Any suggestions as to where i should go shopping for furniture?

Also - does anyone know where i might find a "list" on line of things that should be in the condo? thank you
jan maria
[Mod]No exposing email addresses[/Mod]

Last edited by 2goldens; 03-31-2008 at 05:02 AM.. Reason: Exposed email address
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 06:08 PM

11 posts, read 87,049 times
Rooms to go is great for this. They have nice stuff and excellent financing options of course if you're qualified.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:53 PM

18,124 posts, read 11,758,079 times
Great idea!

Cindy Crawford's designs?

Old 04-01-2008, 07:23 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan maria View Post
I will need to furnish a two bedroom condo in Naples so that I can rent it as a "furnished rental". I need to do this tastefully but yet i need to keep the price VERY reasonable. Any suggestions as to where i should go shopping for furniture?

Also - does anyone know where i might find a "list" on line of things that should be in the condo? thank you
jan maria
Moderator cut: No exposing email addresses
IKEA, Kohls, WalMart, Target.

Beds, bedding, dressers, nightstands, tv, computer desk, coffee maker, pots & pans, dishes, silverware, shower curtain, mop, broom, vacuum cleaner, patio furniture for lanai, kitchen table, dining room table, etc.

The list could keep going. I would see "furnished" & expect it to have everything except clothing, food & personal hygiene items.

If you are only going to have basic furniture, you may have to say "partially furnished"

Old 04-01-2008, 08:52 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,491,224 times
Big lots perhaps

Old 04-02-2008, 05:28 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan maria View Post

jan maria

I sold furniture in Florida for many years. The style you choose depends on where you are renting, the clients you are targeting, and the income you expect to get.

First you need to decide if this is for a seasonal or annual rental. If seasonal, you might want to stick to a tropical design. Frankly, I got very sick of seeing palm trees on toss pillows, but when you rent, you need to look through the eyes of the other people. After living here for a while I never wanted to see another white car or green carpet and pink furnishings, but when people travel from a cold climate to FL they want to feel as if they're on vacation both inside and out, so the use of bright colors & wicker is popular for rentals. Accessorizing can make a huge difference, like using silk plants or those wooden balls you can pickup at Dockside or Pier 1. Keep in mind that you don't want to get items that will break easily.

Stay away from too many rugs, throws and stuff you need to clean. People spill things all the time. Assume you already have floor covering, but if you are in the process of renovating, use ceramic tile in Florida, since people track in sand all the time. Also, people who have allergies will prefer a place with tile or wood floors.

Don't skimp on the mattresses. When someone has a bad night's sleep, that person won't return next year or refer another renter. You don't need to spend a fortune, but get a good quality mattress and nice sheets. I ordered mine on Overstock, but Marshall's and Steinmart have some good bargains. Again, because of allergies, don't get feather pillows or comforters. Get good quality, but make sure they're fiberfill. When in doubt, get medium firm.

I would also suggest you buy a king size mattress for the master and 2 twins for the second bedroom. Many people also buy a sofa-sleeper instead of a regular sofa when they rent condos.

You might want to consider a clearance center like Blocker's in LaBelle or their new warehouse in Immokalee. FOS will put a condo package together for you. They're located in Fort Myers & Cape Coral. Lenny's also has some good sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
IKEA, Kohls, WalMart, Target.

Beds, bedding, dressers, nightstands, tv, computer desk, coffee maker, pots & pans, dishes, silverware, shower curtain, mop, broom, vacuum cleaner, patio furniture for lanai, kitchen table, dining room table, etc.

The list could keep going. I would see "furnished" & expect it to have everything except clothing, food & personal hygiene items.

If you are only going to have basic furniture, you may have to say "partially furnished"

100% agree. If you are renting this as "turnkey" then you need to have dishes, a toaster, can opener, pots & pans, etc., etc. A coffee pot is a must. If this was Thanksgiving I would tell you to get up really early on Friday and go to Walgreen's and Wal-Mart. I think the dishes at Marshall's are great if you can find a nice service for 8. There is a Dollar Tree across from Bonita Bay that has a lot of things you might need. I won't make this too long by listing everything from a corkscrew to an eggbeater. Don't get cheap towels, because they don't last. Bed, Bath & Beyond has some good sales.

By "very reasonable" I don't know if you mean inexpensive or cheap. There's a difference. Cheap often costs more in the long run. Most people will expect to use a washer/dryer. Get a good set. There is a scratch & dent place where you can get a good price and a warranty. Make sure if you advertise "furnished" or "turnkey" you get a television set and DVD player or you need to let the people know they need to provide their own. Everyone likes a radio too and an alarm clock. Again, you weren't specific, so I am assuming you are renting this to people who will be here part-time. So many investors forget about little things that are important like flashlights or beach towels. If you are concerned about theft, then take an inventory and ask the renter sign it. It protects you and the tenant, assuming you'll be asking for a security deposit.

Now for my personal opinion. I spent years working in stores from low to very high end. Most of it is crap made in China. You need to know what you are looking for like the fabric material and the quality of the construction. Leather is the easiest to clean & doesn't absorb odors, but it can also tear. So this is why I suggest buying used furniture. Right now there are so many foreclosures (Lee County is #1 in the country) that people are practically giving away new livingroom and bedroom sets. Much of the "new" stuff you spend thousands for at stores has been returned anyway, even mattresses. They just don't tell you. It's not as obvious since there's no trip odometer to turn back! (That's always one reason to special order instead of buying from stock, although you sometimes pay more.)

Good luck!

Last edited by justNancy; 04-02-2008 at 05:40 PM..

Old 04-07-2008, 08:35 AM

172 posts, read 945,918 times
I'd check Craigslist too since furniture dealers advertise on there too and it will save you a bit of driving around. What about American Signature Furniture? I know they were having sales and I got a good deal on the pieces I bought there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples