Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 09:07 PM

34 posts, read 136,190 times

Advertisements

I am from Bowling Green, KY and am wanting to earn a B.A. or B.F.A. in photography but want to stay pretty close to home.

The nearest school is Watkins and I can't find much on the internet about its reputation or atmosphere.

If any of you have ANY insight whatsoever, into this school, it would be MUCH appreciated!! Also, if you know of any other nearby schools that have a B.A. or B.F.A. program for photography, that would also be helpful. I gotta get outta BG!!

Thanks so much
-Steph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 10:38 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,633,731 times
I've been there a few times, but only have experience with the film side. As for atmosphere, I'd say it's a creative, friendly place. The neighborhood is patchy. You have the Titans' training area nearby, and the shopping area, but the surrounding area's not so great. Metro Center's fine, though, and the hotels are nice too. Great freeway access.

Good luck with your choice.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:08 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
I work close to Watkins and I'm over there quite a bit (mainly because there's an all-you-can-eat pizza place and a BBQ restaurant next door :-).

I'm surprised that Watkins even offers a BA degree. Are you sure it does?

Watkins has changed quite a bit. It used to be mostly just a "second rate" adult education school. It has grown to be more of a regular school in the arts in the past few years and its reputation has improved. If you just wanted to learn photography, it would probably be okay, but you couldn't really compare a degree from Watkins to a degree from a regular four-year college. Nor could you compare going to Watkins to the experience of going to a traditional four-year college, even though there's lots of students who go to Watkins and I'm sure they enjoy the experience. Watkins is more of an alternative program (if that makes sense).

The best thing to do is come for a visit and see if Watkins would meet your needs.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,764 times
Default Watkins

I think alleycat is a little behind the times. Watkins is an accredited college that gives, and has given, BFA degrees in film, photo, fine arts, graphic design, interior design for a number of years. It is true that in the 120+ years it has been in Nashville, it has gone through changes but it is now a viable four-year college with a very good reputation. It also has a BA degree in Art as well. As for not being able to equate a degree from them with a degree from "traditional" four-year college, a BFA is a BFA, the requirements for which are set out by accrediting agencies outside of the college itself.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:00 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwab View Post
I think alleycat is a little behind the times. Watkins is an accredited college that gives, and has given, BFA degrees in film, photo, fine arts, graphic design, interior design for a number of years. It is true that in the 120+ years it has been in Nashville, it has gone through changes but it is now a viable four-year college with a very good reputation. It also has a BA degree in Art as well. As for not being able to equate a degree from them with a degree from "traditional" four-year college, a BFA is a BFA, the requirements for which are set out by accrediting agencies outside of the college itself.
Maybe . . . but in most fields no one is going to take a degree from Watkins as seriously as a degree from a regular state university. Now the student who goes to Watkins may or may not be just as qualified, or more so, than a traditional student, but the degree won't be worth as much. And an individual who goes to Watkins may do better in their chosen field than others who went to a traditional college. That happens will all sort of people in all sorts of fields . . . even those who don't go to any college. I don't know, did Ansel Adams even go to college? He was still quite a good photographer.

I'm not trying to put Watkins down (now, or in my post above), but you have to be realistic about it. All degrees ARE NOT created equal. Compare having a Vandy degree with having one from Fred Smith State and applying for a job in Nashville.

For some students, going to Watkins might be a better choice (I'm not trying to talk anyone out of going) . . . but not for the reputation of Watkins as a school of higher learning. Sorry. By the way, I've known quite a few people who went to Watkins, and a few who taught there. I don't dislike the school.

Last edited by alleycat; 08-01-2007 at 01:17 PM..

Old 08-04-2007, 03:19 AM

24 posts, read 93,731 times
My coworker is in his last semester there in film. He said they have a very good film program, and he's went to 1-2 others (including London film school) prior to this one. It is expensive, but still cheaper than many other art schools. My daughter has been accepted into the graphic design program there this year which I'm told is also an exceptional program. They constantly win more awards that most other schools. I think in the recent years I've heard the school has won 70% of the total awards. That says something about the quality for sure. I'd say if you want an overall eduction, hit up a 4 year college, but if you want to focus on art and get a job in the art industry, you probably want to keep an art school high on your list. I know graphic designers are in big demand.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:38 PM

4 posts, read 10,026 times
HELP!..Does anyone know of any 4 yr universitys OR ART & DESIGN schools with a campus & housing that are 20k or LESS to attend that have media arts and animation programs. My son was excepted to SCAD he's great at what he does. But the financial aid hasnt been enough to attend. Any sugesstions. I actually looked at Watkins...hummmmm.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:24 PM

569 posts, read 1,425,623 times
Watkins is actually a highly respected...but small....school. There are students and instructors there from all over the country....and other countries. It's a unique gem for Nashville and I don't think most Nashvillians realize that. It has a very creative atmosphere, I would take the time to visit the campus if it's something you are interested in.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:40 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times
Watkins doesn't offer housing.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:58 PM

569 posts, read 1,425,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Watkins doesn't offer housing.
Actually....they do Steve. They have 2 dorms....I think they each hold around 50 students (I could be wrong about the figure). The dorms are directly behind the main building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: