Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:17 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,337,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
If you're used to rural NH...or pretty much any place in NH...you won't be impressed by EN. If you're coming from Detroit, it would probably be a step up. It's all relative.
Not sure if you intended this analogy to be offensive, but it really is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 08:32 PM

933 posts, read 2,743,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
So you HAVE been there.

EN has decent pockets, but for the most part it is older homes, sort of run down looking and way over priced for what you get. People pay the big bucks for these places because of all the "up and coming" hype. Residents will pitch it as the best place on earth mostly because they want new money in there to help revitalization efforts.

We go to dinner over there now and then and have never had a problem, but there is a gang problem. You'd be shocked at the number of violent crimes committed by minors than never make the news...mostly gang related. EN has been in the news lately for it's sharp increase in home invasions in the past 6 months or so.

If you're used to rural NH...or pretty much any place in NH...you won't be impressed by EN. If you're coming from Detroit, it would probably be a step up. It's all relative.
This poster obviously has a bias toward old homes as he has posted similiar replies before. "Most" of the houses are older??? All of the houses all older, that's why we like them (if they are not we have overlay's to make sure you da*%m well build new ones to look that way. ha) He obviously doesn't "get it". Which is okay. He can stay in his shiny new subdivision we'll stay in our smelly old "sort of run down" houses East Nashville just made the Best Old Neighborhoods to buy in the South by This Old House magazine.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/phot...913545,00.html

I'll have to make sure to send them rossc expert opinion cause obviously they don't know what the heck they are talking about. I've lived in Nashville since the late 90's and have lived in East Nashville for almost 6 years. It's amazing the change and revitalization I have seen in the area and it is still going at a good clip even in this economy. I can walk to multitudes of restaurants, bars, a couple of music venues and ride my bike to Shelby Park. Do you really think we get on here to plead to people to move over here because we (and our fiendish partners in crime "This Old House") want to "sucker" them into buying over here? I think we're waaaay past that point my friend.

As far as crime, if you don't hang out with ex-felons or gang members you should be okay. Get a big dog and an alarm system and don't leave your ipod in your parked car. How would your neighborhood be if it were the dumping ground for all of societal ills for decades? As As far as home invasions, I don't know what the poster is
is talking about. There have been a few drug dealers houses invaded. Gee, wonder why???

Like I have said before it's not all butterflies and sunshine (just about 85 or 90%). What can you do? Move to a cookie cutter subdivision, pull into your garage that juts out to the street with a connecting door to your kitchen and hardly even see your neighbors (I did it for years in Bellevue). Or you can move to a real neighborhood with character and history and not just one that was named for the former farm it replaced or some pine tree that strangely is nowhere to be found except at the entrance of the subdivision - all that with your choice of 5 different floor plans We're a tight nit, diverse group over here that work closely with the East Precinct to combat the issues over here and we're building this neighborhood back to it's former glory one street at a time and you know what? It's a wonderful thing to be a part of.

Last edited by yank283; 03-23-2011 at 08:55 PM..

Old 03-23-2011, 08:48 PM

34 posts, read 98,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Of course I've encountered a few of those "you have to do things my way, or you're going to hell" type of people, but I wouldn't say that's the norm. I'm not going to say that we're a total "live and let live" kind of place...there are plenty of loudmouths with opinions out there...but the average person isn't going to intrude on your personal life. I can probably count on two hands how many times I have been asked what church I attend in 25 years. And a lot of times, when people ask that, they're just trying to be friendly, not trying to pry. Yes, the culture is different down here...church talk would probably go under the small talk category. People are just looking to break the awkward moment (although some of them don't realize it can lead to a more awkward moment...lol).

As far as recycling, it is NOT non-existent. I absolutely agree that things should be improved, and there should be a push towards recycling more and wasting less. If you live in the city of Nashville, you have curbside recycling once per month, and there are a number of recycling centers around the city. Are they under-utilized? Absolutely. Are they barely used? No. If you want to see what a popular recycling program in the area looks like, head to Granberry Elementary School on a Saturday before noon. The same lady has operated the recycling program since I was in school there, and it has been running more than 20 years.

People who want to recycle can...you just need to know where to go. Unfortunately it may take more effort than you are used to if moving from elsewhere.
I was worried my candid response about what my experience has been might touch a nerve. Sorry if I offended you. But from one New Hampshire native to another (the OP), it's going to be different. And you know what? That's ok. I choose to live here despite the vast philosophical and cultural differences between my home state and Nashville.

As for the recycling - I think you may have missed my point. I said "in public". I live in Sylvan Park and we have a wonderful curbside recycling program (as you pointed out). Now, I can tell you that I am hard pressed to think of any place that serves food and drink around here that actively recycles. It's the norm in New England.

If I may...don't be so defensive; especially over what someone else has claimed as their experience. It's all valid and relative. Like I said; I choose to live here. Nashville must be offering something, yes?

Old 03-23-2011, 08:48 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
I am enjoying reading this thread as I am also a former NHite now living in Louisville, KY. I like the offerings of Nashville quite a bit as well!

Old 03-23-2011, 08:58 PM

34 posts, read 98,024 times
And to the OP - East Nashville is great. Definitely the "coolest" place in Nashville. My guess is that you would find a lot to do there, and more open-minded people than in perhaps other parts of the city. To me, it has the look and feel of some parts of cities in New England that you're probably familiar with- like Portsmouth/Portland/Boston. But - while crime is everywhere in a city of this size, there does seem to be more violent crime in East Nashville.

I think as a woman of 22/23 completely new to the city, I'd opt for somewhere else initially, but visit East Nashville often. Great vibe, and it is a close knit community. Get a feel for it, and if you like it, move.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:29 PM

933 posts, read 2,743,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New England 2 Nashville View Post
And to the OP - East Nashville is great. Definitely the "coolest" place in Nashville. My guess is that you would find a lot to do there, and more open-minded people than in perhaps other parts of the city. To me, it has the look and feel of some parts of cities in New England that you're probably familiar with- like Portsmouth/Portland/Boston. But - while crime is everywhere in a city of this size, there does seem to be more violent crime in East Nashville.

I think as a woman of 22/23 completely new to the city, I'd opt for somewhere else initially, but visit East Nashville often. Great vibe, and it is a close knit community. Get a feel for it, and if you like it, move.
Can't say I don't disagree with this post. If you don't know anyone here (especially in East Nashville) you may want to try and find a place in Hillsboro Village or Sylvan Park for a bit so you can explore parts of the city and decide for yourself. If you find your deadset on the eastside. You might want to check out Eastwood Neighbors. It's the area surrounded by Greenwood Ave to the North, Eastland Ave to the South, Porter Rd to the East, and Gallatin Rd to the West. You would be able to walk to Ugly Muggs, Rosepepper Cantina, Eastland Cafe, The Family Wash, Portland Brew, The Wild Cow, Coopers on Porter, and some places. Lockeland Springs (by 5 Points) get's all the press but this area is booming and it's also further away from Cayce Housing Projects. Anyway, goodluck with your move.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:42 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,337,820 times
Quote:
I was worried my candid response about what my experience has been might touch a nerve. Sorry if I offended you. But from one New Hampshire native to another (the OP), it's going to be different. And you know what? That's ok. I choose to live here despite the vast philosophical and cultural differences between my home state and Nashville.

As for the recycling - I think you may have missed my point. I said "in public". I live in Sylvan Park and we have a wonderful curbside recycling program (as you pointed out). Now, I can tell you that I am hard pressed to think of any place that serves food and drink around here that actively recycles. It's the norm in New England.

If I may...don't be so defensive; especially over what someone else has claimed as their experience. It's all valid and relative. Like I said; I choose to live here. Nashville must be offering something, yes?
No, your post did not strike a nerve with me (like rossc's did). I just wanted to provide another perspective. You did not offend me at all. Thank you for your thoughtful response, btw.

I see what you are saying about recycling...and yes, I wish I had a place to throw my aluminum cans or plastic bottles as I'm out walking around (heck, I can't even find a trash can most of the time). That's one area I would like to see improved. When I was at school at UT, all of the campus buildings had recycling bins for just that purpose. It was great...I wish there was something similar in all of the public buildings here. And yes, it would be nice if the private businesses did as well.

I didn't intend to come across as defensive (pardon the ALL CAPS if it seemed that way)...sometimes it's hard to translate emotion electronically through the internet.

I just wanted to make a point, and I see that I fully didn't understand yours.

btw - your demeanor does kind of point to your former state's live and let live attitude.

Quote:
This is some good advice. For someone completely unfamiliar, EN might be a bit too hard to figure out at first...especially if you pay too much attention to the news.

Hillsboro Village may indeed be the "safest" choice for a new 20something resident who wants to live "in the city."

Old 03-24-2011, 06:55 AM

210 posts, read 588,072 times
East Nashville is great, but for a Nashville newbie your age i am going to stick to my move to Hillsboro Village post...at least for a year that is.
East Nashville is a really cool place, but to be completely honest i would want you to really get to know the area before moving there. Spend some time over the first year and get familiar with the lay of the land in EN before committing to a lease. Hillsboro Village is great, and i doubt you would be disappointed with most of the aspects of the location and its a great jumping off point for someone young and new to Nashville.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:29 PM

4 posts, read 6,535 times
Wow, I'm amazed by all of your thoughtful comments and insights. Thanks, everyone!! It sounds to me like I'll probably focus my search around Hillsboro Village, which seems to be the best fit, at least initially. I obviously will not rent without first checking out the area, but my time frame is going to be very short (moving down and need to almost immediately find a place) so I really appreciate all of the help.

This might be a silly question, but is there a set of "boundaries" that sort of defines what everyone's been calling Hillsboro Village? When I look on google map, for example, I get "Hillsboro" (not Hillsboro Village) as a pretty huge area underneath Vanderbilt and Belmont Universities. Is "Belmont/ Hillsboro" and/or "Hillsboro West End" what we're talking about when you say Hillsboro Village?

Also, thoughts on which parts of this area are more desirable, or is it all the same? Closer to Vanderbilt (so North, I guess), further South towards 440? East, West? Thanks

Old 03-24-2011, 05:41 PM

957 posts, read 3,700,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Not sure if you intended this analogy to be offensive, but it really is.
All I meant is that it's all relative. I was shocked by the real estate prices in EN.

I am partial to newer homes, especially when you can get a newer home in a better area for less money. Doesn't make sense to me why someone would pay more for less home in a worse area...but to each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville