Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 05:37 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,337,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
Your view on an area is relative to what are used to. Every comment here is someones opinion. I don't agree with every comment I read here either. I'm sorry if it's offensive, but the reality is that if you are used to a small, rural town where locks are optional, you will probably not be impressed by East Nashville.
Are locks supposed to be optional in big cities? lol, it's an urban neighborhood. I'd lock my doors in Hillsboro Village. Why? Because it's not rural farm country. Christ, the OP went to school in Boston...you think "locks are optional" in Boston?

C'mon, man...

I just don't really see the point in saying one "wouldn't be impressed" with an area b/c it's not like where they are from.

My question is, what area would be impressive, in your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 08:31 AM

957 posts, read 3,700,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Are locks supposed to be optional in big cities? lol, it's an urban neighborhood. I'd lock my doors in Hillsboro Village. Why? Because it's not rural farm country. Christ, the OP went to school in Boston...you think "locks are optional" in Boston?
No...and I wouldn't live there either, but in 8 years living in the lakes region in NH I never locked the doors. I lost the key 6 months after buying the house and only changed the locks when I listed the house for sale 8 years later.

I'm guessing you live in East Nashville and like it a lot. Have you ever been to the inner city in Detroit? If what you are saying is true, then you shouldn't have a problem with it at all. You should be just as happy living there as living in East Nashville, Brentwood...or Beverly Hills, CA.

Quote:
My question is, what area would be impressive, in your opinion?
We live over near Priest Lake in a very nice, safe neighborhood with great neighbors. We paid $68k for an 1800 square foot brick home on a half acre built 8 years ago.

Just offering my opinion, just like you are. We just don't happen to agree on the issue.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:39 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,146,500 times
I guess because I grew up in the city, I've never understood this phenomenon of people who grew up in the 'burbs or a rural area bragging about the fact that they don't lock their doors. My uncle in Western NY used to laugh at me when I would lock the door to his car as I was getting out -- "you don't need to do that here, city boy."

Okay, but why would you not just lock your doors? Who cares whether you "need" to or not? Is it so inconvenient to later unlock them that you can't bear to expend the energy locking them?

Like you don't expect to get in a car wreck more than once in a lifetime, but you keep putting on your seatbelt just in case, and because there's no reason not to. Shouldn't that theoretically extend to your house being robbed?

Old 03-26-2011, 12:47 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,146,500 times
Quote:
I'm guessing you live in East Nashville and like it a lot. Have you ever been to the inner city in Detroit? If what you are saying is true, then you shouldn't have a problem with it at all. You should be just as happy living there as living in East Nashville, Brentwood...or Beverly Hills, CA.
Also this argument makes literally no sense. Because someone is comfortable with places where you have to lock your door, and enjoys East Nashville...they would like inner city Detroit?

If you genuinely can't differentiate East Nashville -- ANY area of East Nashville including its "worst" parts -- from virtually any area of Detroit...you aren't paying too close attention. It's a world of difference. There are literally miles/blocks of abandoned and torn-down houses with no functioning stores in some areas of Detroit. There is nothing approaching that in East Nashville.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
No...and I wouldn't live there either, but in 8 years living in the lakes region in NH I never locked the doors. I lost the key 6 months after buying the house and only changed the locks when I listed the house for sale 8 years later.

We live over near Priest Lake in a very nice, safe neighborhood with great neighbors. We paid $68k for an 1800 square foot brick home on a half acre built 8 years ago.

Just offering my opinion, just like you are. We just don't happen to agree on the issue.
-That's great. If your main interest in home ownership is getting a place where you don't have to lock your doors, then don't move into an urban neighborhood...anywhere. It's as simple as that.

-I don't live in or near East Nashville. I visit occasionally, and have an aunt that lives in Inglewood.

-Do you lock your doors in Priest Lake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
I guess because I grew up in the city, I've never understood this phenomenon of people who grew up in the 'burbs or a rural area bragging about the fact that they don't lock their doors. My uncle in Western NY used to laugh at me when I would lock the door to his car as I was getting out -- "you don't need to do that here, city boy."

Okay, but why would you not just lock your doors? Who cares whether you "need" to or not? Is it so inconvenient to later unlock them that you can't bear to expend the energy locking them?

Like you don't expect to get in a car wreck more than once in a lifetime, but you keep putting on your seatbelt just in case, and because there's no reason not to. Shouldn't that theoretically extend to your house being robbed?
This is a good analogy. It's a preventative measure. My neighborhood has virtually no crime...but do I still lock the doors? Sure. Just because there is a 1/1,000 chance of something happening doesn't mean you shouldn't have some sort of preventative measure. It's a lot better to go through the hassle of locking your doors than to go through the hassle of filling out police and/or insurance reports in the off chance that someone does break -- no, walk into your house and steal a bunch of stuff.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:

-Do you lock your doors in Priest Lake?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. If I felt that I HAD TO for fear of coming home to en empty house, I wouldn't live here.

Whether or not you physically lock the doors is irrelevant. It's about the feeling that you MUST lock the doors. Some people lock the doors because there is good chance they will be robbed and some people do it just out of habit or as a preventative measure but feel secure enough that if they forgot to lock up, they don't go into panic mode.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
-That's great. If your main interest in home ownership is getting a place where you don't have to lock your doors
My main interest in home ownership is making a wise investment. That means not buying over priced real estate in transitional areas.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
That's an interesting analogy. You don't expect to get into a car wreck but you are in a relatively dangerous environment, so you were a seat belt as a precaution. I suppose if you live in a dangerous environment you also take precautions that would not be required in a safer environment.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Also this argument makes literally no sense. Because someone is comfortable with places where you have to lock your door, and enjoys East Nashville...they would like inner city Detroit?
The comment was in regards to why a person would be turned off from an area based on what they are used to. If that's true and the lifestyle you are accustomed to has no bearing on your happiness in another area, then you should be equally happy Nome, Alaska, Detroit, East Nashville or Brentwood.

Of course that's not true...and the reason it's not true is because you wouldn't be comfortable living a lifestyle you're not accustomed to. Granted, some people make the decision to make a lifestyle change, but for the most part, people choose to live where they are comfortable.

Back to original post... A small town in rural New England and East Nashville are like two different planets in more ways than one.

What annoys me is that if I had commented that the OP would not be comfortable in Antioch because she may be used to New England small town living, none of you would have said a word. Antioch and East Nashville are not all that different from a crime perspective.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
My main interest in home ownership is making a wise investment. That means not buying over priced real estate in transitional areas.
Overpriced is an opinion. Price is determined by demand...if no one was interested in living there, demand and prices would be lower. Whether or not you want to pay that much for a house is completely up to you.

It's all relative, remember?

Quote:
That's an interesting analogy. You don't expect to get into a car wreck but you are in a relatively dangerous environment, so you were a seat belt as a precaution. I suppose if you live in a dangerous environment you also take precautions that would not be required in a safer environment.
Yes, but just like with the car wreck analogy, one might consider the precaution of a seatbelt to be more necessary in some areas (where accidents are more common) and less necessary in others (where there are very few accidents - like in a subdivision)...although in one, it is incredibly unlikely that you will get in an accident, you still buckle your seatbelt. Why? Better safe than sorry.

Quote:
What annoys me is that if I had commented that the OP would not be comfortable in Antioch because she may be used to New England small town living, none of you would have said a word. Antioch and East Nashville are not all that different from a crime perspective.
You're right, both Antioch and East Nashville have their safe areas, and their more dangerous areas.

She said she wanted to live in town...basically what you're saying is she shouldn't. So why weren't you just more direct about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville