Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 12:40 PM

815 posts, read 2,018,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Could they not have chosen some different colors? Light green, medium green, light olive, dark olive, dark green... Did they map creators only have the green pallate on MS Paint?
Probably to represent the color of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 12:55 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
I think some people need a refresher on what North, South, East, and West Nashville actually are.

Think old city limits.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:01 PM

610 posts, read 1,623,845 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...oundaries.html

This helped me tremendously. I've been telling people I live in South Nashville. Whoops. Hmm.

Last edited by airen123; 03-21-2012 at 01:27 PM..

Old 03-21-2012, 01:11 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
You don't even know where Bordeaux is. That map clearly shows it's in the 19k-29k range.
What would you call the area where Clarksville and Buena Vista Pikes meet? The "Community at Bordeaux" and "Bordeaux Hills" are located there, which seems strange.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:22 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
What would you call the area where Clarksville and Buena Vista Pikes meet? The "Community at Bordeaux" and "Bordeaux Hills" are located there, which seems strange.
Are we looking at the same map? That is definitely in the part labelled 2 and that's 19k-29k

Old 03-21-2012, 01:50 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,924 times

I'm done arguing this.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post

I'm done arguing this.
It actually looks like Bordeaux may be split between 1 and 2 but mostly in district 2.

Nashville.gov - Davidson County Council District 02

http://www.nashville.gov/mpc/docs/di...District02.pdf

The pdf neighborhood profile lists bordeaux as a district 2 community.

Anyway, I was very involved in my community's neighborhood association (Salemtown). I got to know other north nashville neighborhood leaders fairly well and often drove through Bordeaux to get to I-24/I-65 when traffic was bad. It has a lot of problems, is not what I would consider safe, and has a lot of poverty. There are some nice areas mixed in here and there but it is not one of Nashville's best neighborhoods by any measure and its rural/isolated location means it's not likely to see much development in the short term.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:19 PM

813 posts, read 2,031,772 times
The maps for that Northwest section of Davidson County pretty much look how I was describing it last night with the area around Eatons Creek Pike tending to be pretty solidly middle class and the areas on the opposite side of Clarksville Pike and to the south being a bit rougher (those would be primarily in district 2). It does look like small portions of Bordeaux are in district 1. The neighborhoods just south of Briley around Eatons Creek were the ones that I question as being a part of Bordeaux, but they are so close that it probably doesn't matter.

Last edited by ariesjow; 03-21-2012 at 02:28 PM..

Old 03-21-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
The maps for that Northwest section of Davidson County pretty much look how I was describing it last night with the area around Eatons Creek Pike tending to be pretty solidly middle class and the areas on the opposite side of Clarksville Pike and to the south being a bit rougher (those would be primarily in district 2). It does look like a small portions of Bordeaux are in district 1. The neighborhoods south of Briley around Eatons Creek were the ones that I question as being a part of Bordeaux, but they are so close that it probably doesn't matter.
Yes, and after checking a couple of different sources and maps on the Nashville.gov website, It looks like Clarksville highway is firmly in district 2 and Hydes Ferry Rd is roughly the dividing line.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:32 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Just to help the non-locals/new residents out...

North, South, East, and West Nashville are generally inside the Briley loop/Thompson Ln/Woodmont Blvd loop.

The tough thing is that the definitions are somewhat ambiguous. They are not actual neighborhoods, but areas of town. Each of the areas are made up of a smaller group of neighborhoods.

For example...

East Nashville - Edgefield, East End, Lockeland Springs, Eastwood, Greenwood, McFerrin Park, and Cleveland Park are all usually under the umbrella of East Nashville...but sometimes the definition expands to cover Inglewood, South Inglewood, Rosebank, Maplewood, and the areas around Dickerson Road (The Trail of Tears). East Nashville is a little bit easier to define because of boundaries. The Cumberland River makes a large, wide 'U' shaped bend that makes up the southern and eastern border of the area. The western border is usually defined as following the Cumberland River northward, then following I-65 at the river bridge (old 265 for some of y'all) up to Briley Parkway. And the northern border is usually consider I-65 @ Briley to Briley @ the Cumberland River.

North Nashville includes Germantown, Salemtown, Hope Gardens, Buena Vista, Metrocenter, Fisk/Meharry, Osage, and Watkins Park. TSU, McKissack Park, and Hadley Park are also North Nashville...but right on the border of West Nashville. There isn't an exact dividing line between them. Bordeaux, Haynes, Jordonia, and other areas within the Briley loop, but north of the river, are sometimes considered North Nashville...but there's some distinction between that, and what is in the "historic" area south of the river. Also, it's unclear to me what the North Capitol area is...is it the beginning of North Nashville, or an extension of downtown? (for those who don't know what I'm talking about....the Bicentennial Mall/Farmer's Market area south of Jefferson, north of James Robertson Parkway)

West and South Nashville is where things start to get a little more tricky.

West Nashville, from my understanding, is mainly comprised of the street grid area off of Charlotte Pike, West of 440/TSU, east of Richland Creek. The primary areas would be Sylvan Park, Sylvan Heights, Historic West Town/"Urbandale Nations". Notice I specifically leave out the West End Ave/Vanderbilt area. Yes, that's the west side of downtown, but it is not really "West Nashville." It's Midtown or West End. However, you will find some who label those areas, as well as Cherokee Park, Whitland, Hillwood, Charlotte Park, White Bridge, West Meade, Hillsboro/West End, and even Green Hills as "West Nashville."

South Nashville is probably the least used among the "directional Nashvilles," mainly because it's so hard to define. I think a lot of this is due to the fact that South Nashville is a lower population area, and is covered up with factories, warehouses, and businesses. I think the definite agreed-upon area that is South Nashville is between the south loop (I-40), 24/40 on the east side, 440 on the south, and 65 on the west. This narrow area only comprises a few neighborhoods. Cameron-Trimble, Napier, and Wedgewood/Houston mainly. It's also known for where the Tennessee State Fairgrounds are, and home to Trevecca Nazarene University, and Fort Negley and the Nashville City Cemetery close to downtown. What is hard to define are the periphery areas. The neighborhoods between 8th Ave and 12th Ave (Edgehill, Waverly, Rose Park, Acklen Westgrove, 12th South, Melrose)....are those South Nashville? They certainly aren't West Nashville. What is Music Row? Is that under the Midtown umbrella? How about Belmont/Hillsboro? What about the Lebanon Pike/Elm Hill area...what is Mt. Olivet considered to be? Does South Nashville extend into Berry Hill and Rosedale? What about Woodbine, Radnor, and Glencliff? What is the area inside of Briley Parkway, along Murfreesboro Rd considered?

It's truly hard to define.

But for the newbies...Madison, Rivergate, Old Hickory, Donelson, Hermitage, Antioch, Cane Ridge, Crieve Hall, Oak Hill/Forest Hills/Belle Meade, Bellevue, and Joelton are definitely not part of any of the "directional Nashvilles." If you catch someone using that terminology in reference to one of those areas, take a newspaper and smack them on the nose, and give them a firm "NO!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville