Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 09:54 AM

8 posts, read 12,487 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Our family will be relocating to the metro Nashville area in a couple of months from Bloomfield Hills, MI. We have a daughter that will be entering the 7th grade. Currently, we have outstanding public schools. We are hoping to find really good public schools in Williamson County. This is going to be a hard age to relocate our daughter so can anyone suggest some really good middle schools in the Nashville metro area? We are specifically going to look in the Franklin/Brentwood/Spring Hill/Thompson's Station's areas as we have heard really good things about these areas. Initially, we are going to rent until we find out if the relocation will be permanent or for only a couple of years. Also, what are the commute times into Nashville from these areas? My daughter is also a dancer and we have heard really good things about a couple of dance studios in the Franklin area.

Any recommendations would be highly appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 09:56 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,087,991 times
What is your rental budget? Not many rentals in Brentwood . . . .

Old 04-05-2013, 10:31 AM

8 posts, read 12,487 times
Our rental budget will be in the $2,500 to $3,000 range. What about the Franklin, Spring Hill, Thompson's Station areas? How are the middle schools in all of the areas as well. Middle school is really a tough age to relocate a child, but we are having to relocate for my husband's job. We are originally from North Alabama (Huntsville) and used to love visiting Nashville, but don't know a lot about actually living in the area. thanks!

Old 04-05-2013, 11:17 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,727,326 times
You would be able to rent in Brentwood in that range. Brentwood is the closest suburb to Nashville, so it will have the shortest commute. Without knowing where your offices are located, it's hard to give you an estimate of commute times.

There are tons of transplants here, so it shouldn't be hard to make friends. At Brentwood Middle, the children are in grouped 4 classrooms per pod in 6th grade, so they mostly get to know people in their pods. Then in 7th grade it opens up a bit more, so everyone will be making new friends next year.

I would recommend trying to rent in a neighborhood with a neighborhood pool so your child(ren) can make friends before the school year starts. Getting her started in dance here will also give her a chance to make friends.

Brentwood Middle is the best middle school in Williamson County, and they are not afraid to say it. Every year at the parent meetings they go through the stats to show why they are consistently the best middle school. We have been thrilled with BMS.
But you really can't go wrong with any of the schools in Williamson County.

If you do look for rentals in Brentwood- make sure the house in located in Williamson County. There are some parts of Davidson County with a Brentwood zip code, and people will advertise those as Brentwood rentals. Schools here are done by the county, so you have to be in Williamson County to go to Williamson County schools.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:59 PM

Yes, I agree, your budget will get you into Brentwood. I meant that if you wanted an APARTMENT there would be few, if any, options. Still, probably more availability in Franklin.

Check Realtracs.com and click on RENTAL. Here are the current listings in your price range, but you could possibly even find something you liked for less. I have friends who rented a lovely townhome for $1800 in Brentwood. Depends on how much space you need?

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Search Results

My sister just moved her two girls up here - 15 and 17. Both are really enjoying living here. The older one found friends at the local Y and is working at a camp this summer. Perhaps there is a dance camp for your daughter? I don't know much about dance schools up here.

Parent Magazine puts out a summer camp directory but here it is online, just scroll down to all the camps. My niece is working at Camp Widjiwagen (SP?). But yes, a HOA with a pool would also be a good idea.

Nashville Summer Camp Fair 2013 - Nashville Parent Magzine

Best of luck!

Old 04-05-2013, 02:55 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,727,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Yes, I agree, your budget will get you into Brentwood. I meant that if you wanted an APARTMENT there would be few, if any, options. Still, probably more availability in Franklin.

Check Realtracs.com and click on RENTAL. Here are the current listings in your price range, but you could possibly even find something you liked for less. I have friends who rented a lovely townhome for $1800 in Brentwood. Depends on how much space you need?

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Search Results

My sister just moved her two girls up here - 15 and 17. Both are really enjoying living here. The older one found friends at the local Y and is working at a camp this summer. Perhaps there is a dance camp for your daughter? I don't know much about dance schools up here.

Parent Magazine puts out a summer camp directory but here it is online, just scroll down to all the camps. My niece is working at Camp Widjiwagen (SP?). But yes, a HOA with a pool would also be a good idea.

Nashville Summer Camp Fair 2013 - Nashville Parent Magzine

Best of luck!
You are totally right about the lack of apartments in Brentwood. I was posting after a budget had been posting. It wasn't in response to your post.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:12 PM

Are there ANY apartments in Brentwood?????? I am thinking not yet????

Old 04-05-2013, 03:40 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
The Tapestry will open in Brentwood Place next to Office Depot/Kroger in 2014:

Tapestry of Brentwood - Modern flair interwoven with classic design. Brentwood, Tennessee

They will start around $1,800/month.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:30 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,595 times
If you have the budget for Brentwood and Franklin, I would highly recommend you look there instead of Spring Hill. The commute into Nashville from Spring Hill is just insane in my opinion.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:41 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,544,806 times
I would look in Brentwood/Franklin too. I think all of the schools inside the cities of Franklin and Brentwood are strong. Brentwood Middle is probably the standout but it also has the highest income levels and property values and follows the same curriculum as the other schools (although I suspect there is a bigger cluster of high performing kids there). I think most of the middle schools have dance teams/programs. I know my zoned school does.

I also ditto the recommendation of a community with a pool as it is a great way to meet other kids.

As for Dance. Anne Carroll Studios is one I've heard talked about a lot. Vanderbilt has summer dance workshops that are pretty intense and we did dance camp last summer http://franklinschoolofperformingart...ummer_pgms.htm for my high schooler who thought it was very good instruction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville