Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 06:28 PM

55 posts, read 103,905 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Making a visit over from the Atlanta sub-forums. I have a potential job opportunity on the horizon so I figured it would behoove me to ask about the area a bit. The job would be located near Mt. Juliet, TN right off of I-40. A friend of a friend of mine works there (and is a big reason I'm hopeful about this one panning out, but we'll see) and he said he and his wife have a house over in west Nashville somewhere (I think). He was saying his commute was ~30 minutes out to Mt. Juliet and he still had the luxury of living close to the city where there's, you know, stuff to do. I'm interested in (a) how true that statement is in regards to commute and (b) what recommendations for areas to look at y'all might offer. I'd be looking into apartments, $1,000/mo. max probably. Safety is always my #1 priority but proximity to things to do would be great, especially a short commute to the night life. I'm a 25 soon to be 26 single male.

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 08:31 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,347,913 times
30 minutes from West Nashville to Mount Juliet would be pretty good without traffic. Depending on the end points, I suppose it is possible...but I think you would hit enough slow areas (despite the reverse commute) to push you over 30 minutes.

$1,000/month is below the average rent for the city, but on the low end of newer construction in the more desirable areas. The areas with the most apartments being built are Germantown, The Gulch, and Midtown/West End. There also seems to be some activity starting to pop up in East Nashville and in Melrose.

Melrose (8th South/Berry Hill area) might be a good one to consider in the future. 2 fairly large urban apartment developments are under construction right now. The 8th Ave corridor isn't much to look at right now, but considering the dynamics of the area (close to downtown and Vanderbilt, not currently a busy/crowded corridor, very close to 12th South, Berry Hill, and 100 Oaks, and the old money town of Oak Hill), I am a bit bullish on its upward prospects.

Safety is generally a matter of perception. I'm a 28 year old male, and I feel perfectly safe there...but that's me. It might not be the best place to wander at night...but I wouldn't feel unsafe going to my car when its parked at a restaurant or bar. I think the added development will actually improve the safety because of increased activity.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:04 PM

4,349 posts, read 4,728,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post

Melrose (8th South/Berry Hill area) might be a good one to consider in the future. 2 fairly large urban apartment developments are under construction right now. The 8th Ave corridor isn't much to look at right now, but considering the dynamics of the area (close to downtown and Vanderbilt, not currently a busy/crowded corridor, very close to 12th South, Berry Hill, and 100 Oaks, and the old money town of Oak Hill), I am a bit bullish on its upward prospects.
One of the new places starts over $1,000 for a tiny apt. The other is likely to be the same. It's already a hot place to be with ML Rose, Craft Brewed and other places, and just over the hill to 12 South.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:43 PM

What would y'all consider to be a more doable max budget for those areas? I only said $1,000 as a ballpark; obviously that will depend on salary, which I don't know about yet.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:47 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,347,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2k4 View Post
What would y'all consider to be a more doable max budget for those areas? I only said $1,000 as a ballpark; obviously that will depend on salary, which I don't know about yet.
You can do $1,000. Your options will be more limited, though (and demand is super high as it is). Probably $1,200 would open up some more options.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the advice you guys. As an aside, if I unfortunately can't find a place in the city due to salary limits, were close to Mt. Juliet would you recommend?

Old 12-16-2013, 02:58 PM

78 posts, read 137,592 times
I am also in the final stages of getting a job in Nashville (Brentwood to be exact).

I would be looking for a 2 bedroom or a larger 1 bedroom. My Fiance and I are both 26 and want to explore the city as much as possible in our first year.

I have been looking in the ares of town South of Route 70, and Interstate 65/40, as far east as Route 11. Maybe even some place like Franklin (a little far from the city) or East Nashville (too long of a commute?). I haven't gotten many responses from Craigslist at all.

Does anyone know of reasonably priced apartment complexes or duplexes in these areas? And at what point am I getting into rougher areas? I see some apartments for a little as 650 and others over 1200. I'd like to stay around 850 or less but could swing more for the right spot.

Also, I would really like to find something with a storage/garage space so I could keep my motorcycle locked up and out of the weather.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:27 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,097,736 times
Check out this recent thread . . .

//www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...eb-2014-a.html

Franklin is not too far out. Perfect if you have a job in Brentwood.

This is my 'go to' apartment complex, at least it is a start. You could get a one bedroom in the $850 range or 2 bedrooms for $1000 or so. They do have storage lockers, not sure about garages. Call and ask?

Viera Cool Springs - Apartments for Rent in Franklin, TN | About Us

East Nashville is cool, up and coming, but probably out of your price range at the moment. Very popular!

Old 12-16-2013, 03:28 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,748,414 times
I'm in East Nashville, it takes me about 25 minutes to get to work in the morning.

If you're looking for something here, you might want to subscribe the Google group for East Nashville.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:35 PM

78 posts, read 137,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
I'm in East Nashville, it takes me about 25 minutes to get to work in the morning.

If you're looking for something here, you might want to subscribe the Google group for East Nashville.
Are you going Downtown or to Brentwood? My office would be on Virginia Way, if that helps.

And I thought E. Nash was supposed to be less expensive than Franklin??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville