Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 7,537 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Nashville from Chicago, IL. I got a job in La Vergne, TN. I am looking to live in Nashville and commute to work. I've been told with my taste in Outlaw Country, my situation (single, thirty, eclectic) and dislike for Music Row, that I should look into places in East Nashville. I'm looking for an apt or condo, one bedroom, don't need a lot of space for under $800/month, but I've read some areas of East Nashville aren't the safest. Any suggestions on where to look? Craigslist isn't the best option, and some of the apartment rental websites are vague/non-descriptive. If anyone has any personal contacts or links they've used, that'd be great. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 12:10 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,470,452 times
I'm not a big expert when it comes to the rental market here, but I'll give you some impressions.

East Nashville does sound like a good cultural fit to you. $800/month will be tough to find though. I'd also explore 12South as a close second. 12South, ironically, is very close to Music Row. Either location is pretty desirable, which means rent will be higher than other parts of town.

Nashville's rent is very high overall. $800 month is possible but I think you'd have to be very creative to find something that would be comfortable and safe.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:57 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I'm not a big expert when it comes to the rental market here, but I'll give you some impressions.

East Nashville does sound like a good cultural fit to you. $800/month will be tough to find though. I'd also explore 12South as a close second. 12South, ironically, is very close to Music Row. Either location is pretty desirable, which means rent will be higher than other parts of town.

Nashville's rent is very high overall. $800 month is possible but I think you'd have to be very creative to find something that would be comfortable and safe.
She isn't going to find anything in 12 South for less than $1,200. In fact, I've venture there is nothing in the core for $800, except a share. Anything in that range within the 440 loop, I'd be very leery of. Also leery of the very few apt. complexes in East Nashville.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:27 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Property management companies, like this one, often have rentals advertised:

Summit Property Management

Old 01-30-2014, 01:34 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,470,452 times
Seems like I remember seeing someone on C-D who found an apartment in 12South in the $600-700 area that was an above-garage apartment kind of deal. My memory's kind of fuzzy on that. I agree that it is going to be hard to find anything in that price range and is probably not realistic. I think the OP is going to be much more likely to find something in a suburb that might hit the budget price.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:45 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Seems like I remember seeing someone on C-D who found an apartment in 12South in the $600-700 area that was an above-garage apartment kind of deal. My memory's kind of fuzzy on that. I agree that it is going to be hard to find anything in that price range and is probably not realistic. I think the OP is going to be much more likely to find something in a suburb that might hit the budget price.
You might be referring my post from several years ago. But that would be pretty hard to find from out of town. I saw it on a For Rent sign outside a house when I was in 12South one day.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:27 PM

33 posts, read 50,889 times
If I can piggy back on this thread (since I am also a young, single female moving to Nashville), would there be additional or different recommendations for someone craving...

- urban, walkable lifestyle (think Chicago, downtown Seattle). Would be great to be near shops, restaurants, services, etc. A walkable farmer's market that sells local produce would be the cherry on top!
- less than 30 minute commute to West End (15 - 20 mins is ideal)
- Safe
- Garage parking and good fitness center/room or within a couple blocks of a good gym/y.

I am cheap, so I'd really love to stay around/under 1200, but could afford to go a little higher if need be. I do have some actual furniture. The things listed above are more important to me than fanciness like granite countertops. I've initially heard east nashville and five points (where is this?) would be good places to look?

Wmsn4Life - thanks for posting that link.

I should add - I'm not big into the bar scene. I'm more comfortable with laid-back, hole-in-the-wall kinda places.

Last edited by sunnyurbanite; 01-30-2014 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: Adding detail

Old 01-30-2014, 05:37 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyurbanite View Post
If I can piggy back on this thread (since I am also a young, single female moving to Nashville), would there be additional or different recommendations for someone craving...

- urban, walkable lifestyle (think Chicago, downtown Seattle). Would be great to be near shops, restaurants, services, etc. A walkable farmer's market that sells local produce would be the cherry on top!
- less than 30 minute commute to West End (15 - 20 mins is ideal)
- Safe
- Garage parking and good fitness center/room or within a couple blocks of a good gym/y.

I am cheap, so I'd really love to stay around/under 1200, but could afford to go a little higher if need be. I do have some actual furniture. The things listed above are more important to me than fanciness like granite countertops. I've initially heard east nashville and five points (where is this?) would be good places to look?

Wmsn4Life - thanks for posting that link.

I should add - I'm not big into the bar scene. I'm more comfortable with laid-back, hole-in-the-wall kinda places.

Come to East Nashville. Less than 30 minutes to West End, we have a Farmers Market on Wed, and another on Saturdays. You'd be about 10 minutes away from the Nashville Farmers Market downtown.

5 Points is in East Nashville, the zip code is 37206.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:29 PM

33 posts, read 50,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Come to East Nashville. Less than 30 minutes to West End, we have a Farmers Market on Wed, and another on Saturdays. You'd be about 10 minutes away from the Nashville Farmers Market downtown.

5 Points is in East Nashville, the zip code is 37206.
What do you think about downtown?

Old 01-31-2014, 06:35 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,206,645 times
East Nashville / Germantown area seems like a good fit. The hard part will be finding housing within your budget that is also safe...the area is currently booming and demanding higher prices.

Sylvan Park off of West End may also be worthy of a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: