Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 05:39 AM

362 posts, read 645,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie0808 View Post
Mi shots----

Side note!!!!! Just read one of your other posts!!!! Wrapping your sewing machines!!!! I have 6 of them!!! Are you a quilter by chance?
Hi Sue, (nice to meet you on here, maybe when you move down we can meet?)
Yes, I have 4 machines. I don't quilt. I have a small Yogawear company. I sew some of my own patterns.

Are you an avid quilter? Would love to have a sewing person close by to bounce ideas around. Will be looking for fabric stores and sewing groups or classes once I settle in.

@gwenrn- I should have said I will let you know who we decide to hire for the move. We've had 3 major movers give us quotes. Waiting on Atlas to call us back.
We originally thought we would use pods to save money but we have so much stuff, plus a baby grand piano. We are going to save a little money by packing most everything small ourselves. We have 9 full rooms of furniture plus all my business (lots of stuff) and we are leaving so much here, have sold a ton of stuff including our diningroom set, donated tons of stuff. My christmas decorations are about 25 boxes alone. I have a huge (too big) collection of Nutcrackers ranging from 1"-6' tall. The large ones the moving company will wrap in blankets but I am going to bubble wrap them first.

The 3 quotes we have already range between $5500.00-$8500.00.
One tip for everyone, well two.....
moving in winter is cheaper than in spring/summer (no brainer)
You can negotiate with them in winter. You can tell them to throw in full insurance in winter months at no extra cost. We never would have known this if we didn't have a friend in the "moving" business. Unfortunately he is commercial.

As far as packing supplies, I watched and waited for auctions to end on Ebay and would snipe them at last 10 seconds. I've already spent over $250.00 on foam and bubble wrap. Our friend said if we went with pods it would be at least $1000-$1500 in moving supplies (blankets especially). I believe him. This would be true if you have a lot of furniture and you don't want it destroyed such as our situation.

Boxes, I posted on my facebook page and a whole bunch of friends said they had some and come pick them up. Right now I am doing OK with boxes. I've started packing the day after Christmas and right now as of last night have packed 48 boxes so far. I feel like I probably have at least 150-175 boxes when done. Geez, it is a lot of work

Once I get the quote from Atlas I will share with you all.

@thoner7 I personally am moving for a warmer climate, change of lifestyle and lower cost of living. But the temperature is def #1 for me. all others are a big + for me. My husband is retired and my business can move anywhere. The economy and job market of TN was a good choice for my sons too.

OK, did I type too much? WHEW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 08:29 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,282,099 times
We used United Van Lines to move us down. We packed all our own things so was cheaper to do. The drivers were from here in TN and told us lots about the area before we got here which was nice. They let us go to their building and get "used" boxes from the back of their truck for free. You might want to check with your moving company about this too.

I have a sewing machine that I used a lot years ago to make clothes, comforters, curtains, etc.... I'd love to start again.

We definitely have to all get together; it will be so nice having lots of LI'ers down here in TN!

Old 12-31-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
We used United Van Lines to move us down. We packed all our own things so was cheaper to do. The drivers were from here in TN and told us lots about the area before we got here which was nice. They let us go to their building and get "used" boxes from the back of their truck for free. You might want to check with your moving company about this too.

I have a sewing machine that I used a lot years ago to make clothes, comforters, curtains, etc.... I'd love to start again.

We definitely have to all get together; it will be so nice having lots of LI'ers down here in TN!
Barb, if you don't mind me asking, how many rooms did you move? How much did it cost you (you can PM me). We you happy with them? We actually liked the guy who came plus our friend knows him and will make a call if we go with them.

Just trying to compare apples to apples

Sewing together? I'm totally in. I've only been sewing a year. I would love some advice from experienced sewing gals.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:20 PM

13,356 posts, read 39,983,771 times
Per the Terms of Service, this is not a chat room. Please send messages directed at only one member to that member via Direct Message. Thanks.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 01-01-2014, 03:24 AM

24 posts, read 32,074 times
Husband and I need a change of pace. Getting back to enjoying our time together. We want to live to work not work to live. Husband won't have to work as much. He needs to slow down. And....

We've always wanted to move so getting the kids through high school was important. Now that they're off at college we can focus on what we want again. And...

This crazy weather....bitter cold, freezing temps, and up coming winter storms.... These last few years of cold winters really have gotten to me. I like the change in seasons but I'd like to leave the long winters behind me.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:26 PM

So here are the rates.
Approximately 915 miles from Suffolk County to Nashville.

This is for a straight move from point A to point B, no insurance, no storage (we are storing for 2-3 months).
We are also packing up all items(boxes) as much as we can.

We have approximately 11,000 pounds of merchandise.

Mayflower $6453.11
United Van Lines $5288.00
North American $5897.00
Atlas $6128.00

For them to pack and box entire contents of home would be additional $2000.00

Hope that helps you all get an idea.

Haven't yet decided who we are going with. Think it's between United and Atlas if we can negotiate them down.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:30 AM

One more quote coming in. Let you know. They are affiliated with United Van Lines but smaller mom and pop.
They gave a great price and their storage was cheaper than most.

Let you know how that turns out.

Now to find a completely furnished 2 bedroom apartment.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:07 PM

16 posts, read 17,736 times
Not LI, but we are moving from central NJ to Brentwood at the end of the month. We got the best quote from Continental Van Lines and they also seemed the most professional. They charge by the actual weight on the day of and right now have us an estimate of 10000 Lbs. I think they are doing $.48 per lb and also packing up the furniture and TV and stuff. We'll do the rest of the packing ourselves.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:56 AM

Well, Wheaten came in and their estimate was the lowest. They left a lot of $$$ off their estimate sheet. Nice guys but too many holes in the contract

We called United Van Lines in again this morning trying to narrow down and negotiate pricing. They are giving us wardrobe boxes free and large boxes free. They are also giving us one month's rent free.

Total right now with United Van Lines from Mid Suffolk County on Long Island, to their storage (approximately 2-3 months) then straight move down to Tennessee is about $8500.00. We have about 11,000 pounds of stuff.

Still have a couple of weeks to decide but it will probably be them. They have a very good reputation. Plus their contract is binding.

Insurance is a killer though. Tried to negotiate on that but he was not budging.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:37 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,094,307 times
NOTE: I signed up with United Van Lines when I moved here from CT in 2010. I did some research and they had the best reviews.

On the morning of the move, a MAYFLOWER truck shows up!

I called my agent and he said "Oh, we're partners!"

I had read that United pays their local packers the best wage and that's part of the reason I went with them and now I had Mayflower! But what could I do? The truck was there. The closing was the next day, etc.

Just throwing that out there as I saw that as a real 'bait and switch'. Put in your contract that you want a UNITED truck and a UNITED team or you get a 25% discount, or something!

All the paperwork, manifest, said United by the way . . . . but still got a Mayflower truck. All went well except the packers in CT really piled heavy things onto light things so I had some of those plastic bins totally squished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville