Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 05:14 PM

584 posts, read 1,136,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntnv View Post
These are all really great idea. Thanks again. And I really love the discussion that is going on here. Change is so hard for my son and any information that I can gather here and through other resources will help me make a better transition for him.
We are moving to the Nashville/Murfreesboro area, the choice for us is which school district to choose.

I contacted Autism TN and they gave me a list of all their parent contacts for each county so I can call and talk to each one about their child's experience in school.

In a way I do expect them to fail because after talking with one school district's special ed assistant on what they offer, it doesn't come close to what is offered in our New York school. My son doesn't do well in large classrooms, he's in a very small one, and frequently uses the "quiet room" in his classroom, both of which they don't have in this particular school district, just to name two.
Get a solid IEP in NewYork with everything thoroughly documented because the school has to implement that until a new IEP is written.

The Northeast offers more than the Midwest and the Midwest offers more than Tennessee from what I understand. People here have not heard of some of the interventions accommodations services supports compensations we were familiar w in another state.

Last edited by Anony-Momma; 03-07-2014 at 05:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 05:44 PM

593 posts, read 1,355,945 times
My youngest is autistic -- not just on the spectrum, the full deal.

Because each one is different and we know so little about it, it's really hard to draw up a timeline and say, this is what the school should be able to do with him. Although he was not completely non-verbal, speaking and language is very difficult for him. We were in Wilson County, and were fortunate that he had the same teachers from K-4. (Not that grade is a meaningful distinction for him). And he did make considerable progress in his basic abilities, although every step was hard-won. He can talk to us now (somewhat), and even after he started school, that was not something we knew for sure could happen.

Was it the best schooling he could have received? Beats me. We always want a state-of-the-art classroom and teachers who walk around quoting the latest research, and it wasn't quite like that. But they gave a damn and they'd been around the block a few times, and because of them, he loved going to school. And because of that, they are among my favorite people upon this earth.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:22 AM

52 posts, read 80,728 times
[quote=Wmsn4Life;33777328]So you go in assuming the district is not going to meet his needs??

-----

Yes, that is indeed how it works, to get into one of the private schools for special education in the Los Angeles area. A year at the school would cost $100,000+, and no one could afford it. Parents have to jump through hoops to get their local school district to afford it. Thst means greasing the palm of a scary attorney who has the districts peeing their pants, and he will gather who he needs to present the case that the district is failing the child. If the attorney is tough enough, they pay, and the parents get their money back too, and the attorney makes a FORTUNE. We know one of these unwholesome souls. Talk about bleeding the taxpayers dry.

My small and well off school district has stopped this expensive attack by having the most wonderful special Ed department in itself, from grade 3 to grade 12, providing special rooms both for severely disabled all the way down to mild learning challenged (the groups separate of course) for anyone who has better success in a different room and not mainstreamed. I know we won't find this great program there but hoping there would be some solution for us.

I love hearing what the parents in the trenches are doing in Nashville.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:27 AM

52 posts, read 80,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anony-Momma View Post
Seems like schools here like to call DCS on families who disagree w school special ed services.
Talk! That sounds horrible! We often disagree with their plans and sometimes do let our son miss a day because of it. I need to know more about this. I don't want to be arrested or have my babies removed from the home because we don't agree with a school. Please explain.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:20 AM

584 posts, read 1,136,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaelle View Post
Talk! That sounds horrible! We often disagree with their plans and sometimes do let our son miss a day because of it. I need to know more about this. I don't want to be arrested or have my babies removed from the home because we don't agree with a school. Please explain.

No one has had a child removed from the home. DCS is familiar w the tactic according to the families.

Parents are talking about it online. Do some searching to read stories.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:28 AM

5 posts, read 9,886 times
I'm really not afraid of DCS lol. I can't imagine them wanting to have more ASD kids in the system unless they were really afraid for their life or safety. Anyone could see we have a safe loving home.
When I lived in Pennsylvania one of his therapists told me that the thing school districts fear the most are parents who want to get a lawyer involved because it's more expensive for them then just giving into the parent. I'm not sure how it is in TN but I'm willing to see how it goes and what they can do for him.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 615 times
Hi Septimus. I have been reading your postings and would like to inquire which school your son attends. I am currently residing in Florida but am looking to relocate to TN next summer. I too, have a high functioning son with aspergers and will be relocating based on a school that suits his needs. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville