Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 10:35 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,349,022 times

Advertisements

my view is that crime statistics should not be blended from unscientific polls and alleged official statistics from alleged reporting government agencies. again, nashville has a crime problem that seems to be pervasive. the city of nashville is the subject; not middle tn. the poster from long lsland makes a very sensible suggestion. i'm sure w/ her experiences in a truly undisputed high-density urban area, we can agree w/ her comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 10:43 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,845,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
my view is that crime statistics should not be blended from unscientific polls and alleged official statistics from alleged reporting government agencies. again, nashville has a crime problem that seems to be pervasive. the city of nashville is the subject; not middle tn. the poster from long lsland makes a very sensible suggestion. i'm sure w/ her experiences in a truly undisputed high-density urban area, we can agree w/ her comments.
Yeah, but most people who move to "Nashville" are moving to areas in the MSA (metro) but not necessarily in the Nashville city limits. So it is important to look at those crime rates as well.

Example:

The Nashville Metro Population is 1,550,733
However, only 626,144 live in Nashville.

The Memphis Metro Population is 1,280,533
Only 677,272 live in Memphis

I'm not denying that Nashville has a crime problem but it's concentrated in certain areas. The high rankings of Memphis and Charlotte for overall Metro/MSA crime seem to indicate that the crime problems in those cities are much more widespread.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:47 PM

13,356 posts, read 39,989,325 times
Quote:
the op stated that he had reservations related to an alarming nashville area crime problem. he specifically mentioned murder, rape, and obvious violent crime in nashville, tn. my knowledge of the area led me to relate several personal experiences about crime in the area. giving the op specific information about the crime allowed him to validate his research information and his apparent fears, concerns, and misgivings. as some of his fears and beliefs were confirmed by the sharing of my information, it was reasonable to assume that the op would probably discontinue his consideration of nashville as an area in which to locate. an alternative listing of very safe and highly respected communities in which to live was a natural and logical conclusion to the post.
Your pro-Memphis/anti-Nashville rants were fun at first but are now getting tiresome and annoying The OP made no mention whatsoever about wanting to live in Memphis. Knowing that the OP was concerned with Nashville's high crime rate, if you really wanted to be helpful you would've recommended suburbs of Nashville rather than promote your own pro-Memphis agenda. As it's been proven, Nashville's metro area has a MUCH lower crime rate than the Memphis metro area.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:19 AM

Smile the "tail" of one city... nashville, tn, 7th highest violent crime in the nation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Your pro-Memphis/anti-Nashville rants were fun at first but are now getting tiresome and annoying The OP made no mention whatsoever about wanting to live in Memphis. Knowing that the OP was concerned with Nashville's high crime rate, if you really wanted to be helpful you would've recommended suburbs of Nashville rather than promote your own pro-Memphis agenda. As it's been proven, Nashville's metro area has a MUCH lower crime rate than the Memphis metro area.
remember, you have the unbridled right to choose the posts that you read, as do i. consequently, i find, when i am no longer amused or the posts are contrary to my reality or subsequent health, i am free to forgo a read of the posts or exercise the use of the ignore button. it is america, and you do have some choices in your world. out of courtesy, i chose to respond directly to your earlier inquiry; nonetheless, you, sir, are trying my patience beyond reason; therefore, consider this as my last courteous explanation to you.

this forum is entertainment: not life or death science. life-changing and weighty decisions are not based on opinions posted here. i have no information that you have been appointed as the "forum police", and consequently, the keeper of the gate. your attempts to bully and intimidate are not well received. your sullen attitude may or may not be totally centered around your dislike for what i have to say; nonetheless, i have the right to say it. get over it, get over yourself, get over others, and move on! free advice: you will hopefully be much happier.

as for my alleged pro-memphis agenda, i would say "dream." i am a native
of chicago, and that is good enough for me. i have been fortunate enough to have either traveled to or lived in many of the cities that are regularly discussed in this forum. in tennessee, i have lived in both memphis and nashville, as well as a few other tn cities. after five+ good years in memphis and three+ terrible years in nashville, i, again, was fortunate enough to relocate from nashville to birmingham. it was a very good move. i speak from personal experience and authority concerning the very real crime problems of nashville, tn. that is fact wheather you like to hear it or not. there are wonderful places far beyond both nashville and knoxville, tn and your seemingly geocentric and egocentric views of those areas.

memphis, tn is known to be a great american city---in both america and throughout the educated world. it is not a city that constantly toots its own horn and permeates a false and exaggerated sense of self. my relatives and friends who live in both memphis and nashville agree, by and large, w/ my assessments of these places. and, yet, even though one of my relatives has lost a child to nashville crime, they continue to live there. to them, however, crime is painfully pervasive. germantown, collierville, lakeland, arlington, bartlett, hernando, olive branch, and southaven could guarantee one's safety about as much as any of the cities outside of nashville. the guarantee, however, would be worth about as much as the dirty, blood-stained, bullet-riddled starbucks paper bag on which it was written. in this day and time, there is no guarantee of safety...and, SURPRISE!!! , that includes the state's capital city, nashville, tn.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,201 times
Memphis is a DANGEROUS city, Bottom line. The stats have proved that for years now. Its always listed in the very top of the most crime/dangerous cities in America. Year after year.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:04 AM

Default okay, corral...ation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvfla View Post
Memphis is a DANGEROUS city, Bottom line. The stats have proved that for years now. Its always listed in the very top of the most crime/dangerous cities in America. Year after year.

yes, it seems as if both larger metro areas of tennessee---memphis and nashville---have shown problems w/ violent crimes for about the last 10 years, according to some who rank crime statistics nationally. memphis usually places anywhere from the 2nd to 7th in position of most violent, while nashville has consistently ranked from 7th to 9th position in violent crime nationally. these are sad and somewhat misleading numbers. nonetheless, crime and its perception of such is a problem to both cities, at least year after year for the last 10 years---Bottom Line. and, now you know the rest of the story.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:53 AM

13,356 posts, read 39,989,325 times
Quote:
yes, it seems as if both larger metro areas of tennessee---memphis and nashville---have shown problems w/ violent crimes for about the last 10 years, according to some who rank crime statistics nationally. memphis usually places anywhere from the 2nd to 7th in position of most violent, while nashville has consistently ranked from 7th to 9th position in violent crime nationally. these are sad and somewhat misleading numbers. nonetheless, crime and its perception of such is a problem to both cities, at least year after year for the last 10 years---Bottom Line. and, now you know the rest of the story.
No, once again you're making misleading statements in order to make Memphis look better and Nashville look worse.

And apparently you're ignoring the list that vivelafrance posted earlier.

The city of Memphis is ranked the 3rd most dangerous in the US. The city of Nashville is ranked the 7th most dangerous in the US.

But the entire Memphis metropolitan area is ranked the 2nd most dangerous metro area in the country. Nashville's metro area didn't even crack the top 25.

You're taking the Nashville city crime ranking and applying it to the entire metro area which is careless and misleading.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:31 AM

Default nashville beatdown...but no cop on the beat according to crime stats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
No, once again you're making misleading statements in order to make Memphis look better and Nashville look worse.

And apparently you're ignoring the list that vivelafrance posted earlier.

The city of Memphis is ranked the 3rd most dangerous in the US. The city of Nashville is ranked the 7th most dangerous in the US.

But the entire Memphis metropolitan area is ranked the 2nd most dangerous metro area in the country. Nashville's metro area didn't even crack the top 25.

You're taking the Nashville city crime ranking and applying it to the entire metro area which is careless and misleading.

we call them as we see them...you can't dodge the bullet! news flash: i reject, in part, vive's biased reporting, as i do your cheerleading. both cities have terrible and embarrassing problems w/ violent crime. metropolitan statistics include the city of nashville and the county in which nashville sits, davidson county. that is how these figures were compiled: not by using all of the podunk hill towns that dot the landscape 60-80 miles away. urban, darling, urban.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:19 AM

116 posts, read 440,407 times
Quote:
we call them as we see them...you can't dodge the bullet! news flash: i reject, in part, vive's biased reporting, as i do your cheerleading. both cities have terrible and embarrassing problems w/ violent crime. metropolitan statistics include the city of nashville and the county in which nashville sits, davidson county. that is how these figures were compiled: not by using all of the podunk hill towns that dot the landscape 60-80 miles away. urban, darling, urban.

I almost hate to get into this little shouting match here. I'd hardly call the statistics that vivelafrance posted a link to "biased." Statistics are based on numerical data. I'll say no more than that.

Actually I will say one more thing: Please use that little button just above "Ctrl" when starting a new sentence. That is what people in the "educated world" do.

EDIT: What possible purpose could it serve to bring up a post from 1.5 years ago, while contributing absolutely nothing to the OP's questions? Did you just do a random search for "Nashville" and "Crime?" It seems as though the forum crossed over a bridge, and forgot to pay someone...

Last edited by Griz83; 06-04-2009 at 10:32 AM..

Old 06-04-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griz83 View Post
I almost hate to get into this little shouting match here. I'd hardly call the statistics that vivelafrance posted a link to "biased." Statistics are based on numerical data. I'll say no more than that.

Actually I will say one more thing: Please use that little button just above "Ctrl" when starting a new sentence. That is what people in the "educated world" do.

EDIT: What possible purpose could it serve to bring up a post from 1.5 years ago, while contributing absolutely nothing to the OP's questions? Did you just do a random search for "Nashville" and "Crime?" It seems as though the forum crossed over a bridge, and forgot to pay someone...
for someone who does not want to get into a "little shouting match", you certainly like to shout. highly educated people know to use the infinitive "to be". as for my typing style used in posting on this forum, i will tell you, as i did someone else concerning their unsolicited opinion about another personal issue, that you do as my three-year-old niece told her three-year-old counterpart, "...no, mary catherine, you eat your boogers, and i'll eat mine!" therefore, i'll use the style that i choose, and you do the same! w/ regard to your final question, i will give you the courtesy of a response this time. you are not privy to information that brought about the post. i am not obligated to discuss that issue w/ you or anyone else in this recreational forum. the three or four nashville cheerleaders who chose to respond did so for their own reasons. those reasons are not important to me. furthermore, as trolls live under the bridges they lay, they always return to their crawl spaces under those bridges. now, i have given you five minutes of my time, and that is all i wish to spare. move on, and i shall, as well. ***as you seem to be interested in helping others w/ education, you might consider dropping the flat adverb, here, at the end of your sentence. just thought you would be open to this information, while you spread so "much" around. stay on the porch or at least in your league. treating people w/ respect, when making serious inquiry, would have avoided unpleasantness.

Last edited by kingchef; 06-04-2009 at 03:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville