Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 04:06 PM

137 posts, read 630,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Louisville offers a great night life and many eclectic neighborhoods w/o all the crime. It ranks as the 8th safest large city in the US

By comparison, Nashville ranks as the 7th most dangerous
City Crime Rankings by Population Group
Louisville - here I come !

P.S. I was once mugged in NYC but I only had $10 !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 06:07 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
don't throw the wrench too far from where you are because you will need it to defend yourself from the criminals in this #7 ranked city of murder and mayhem. i have three friends who have suffered robbery at gunpoint, two have been physically assaulted, and one had his house nearly destroyed during a robbery. all but one of them is moving to other cities. moving lock, stock, and barrel and 4 children. you might want to try a better and safer city. germantown, collierville, barlett, arlington, or lakeland tn or olive branch, southaven, or hernando, ms are excellent choices. i know time has past, but hopefully you haven't made the mistake yet.
Why are you recommending that the OP move to Memphis suburbs when they were talking about Nashville?

Old 05-30-2009, 11:04 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,991 times
Unhappy dodge city!!! nashville, tn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Why are you recommending that the OP move to Memphis suburbs when they were talking about Nashville?

the op stated that he had reservations related to an alarming nashville area crime problem. he specifically mentioned murder, rape, and obvious violent crime in nashville, tn. my knowledge of the area led me to relate several personal experiences about crime in the area. giving the op specific information about the crime allowed him to validate his research information and his apparent fears, concerns, and misgivings. as some of his fears and beliefs were confirmed by the sharing of my information, it was reasonable to assume that the op would probably discontinue his consideration of nashville as an area in which to locate. an alternative listing of very safe and highly respected communities in which to live was a natural and logical conclusion to the post.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:34 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times
Quote:
the op stated that he had reservations related to an alarming nashville area crime problem. he specifically mentioned murder, rape, and obvious violent crime in nashville, tn. my knowledge of the area led me to relate several personal experiences about crime in the area. giving the op specific information about the crime allowed him to validate his research information and his apparent fears, concerns, and misgivings. as some of his fears and beliefs were confirmed by the sharing of my information, it was reasonable to assume that the op would probably discontinue his consideration of nashville as an area in which to locate. an alternative listing of very safe and highly respected communities in which to live was a natural and logical conclusion to the post.
Suggesting that someone move to the Memphis area to get away from crime is like suggesting someone move in with Tommy Lee to get away from big knobs.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:35 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,844,358 times
If you look at rankings by metro area and not by city Nashville comes out as pretty safe. That means that while there's crime in the central city, the suburbs are virtually crime free. This is not the case with some other cities, such as Memphis who rank high in both the city's crime rate and the Metro area's crime rate.

However, I'm surprised to see Nashville and Charlotte so high on the list.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:12 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,991 times
Unhappy the hills are alive (or dead) w/ the sound of murder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
If you look at rankings by metro area and not by city Nashville comes out as pretty safe. That means that while there's crime in the central city, the suburbs are virtually crime free. This is not the case with some other cities, such as Memphis who rank high in both the city's crime rate and the Metro area's crime rate.

However, I'm surprised to see Nashville and Charlotte so high on the list.

be careful w/ the infamous nashville "slight-of-hand" technique. compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. the op was reviewing the city of nashville. i assume that davidson county might be included; however, one never knows---it usually depends on the pros or cons to those who cheerlead for the area. the supposed metropolitan area is another laugh altogether. i, to give an accurate account, would have to factor all of the violent crime statistics for about 1/2 of middle tn, 13 counties i believe.

the ranking given to nashville as #7 in violent crime nationally, is based on the city of nashville: not 12 additional counties, just the one. this makes for a much more accurate picture of the violence, and i suppose that is why the folk doing the rating showed it that way. in my post, the city of memphis wasn't even mentioned. crime statistics for inner-city memphis are completely separate for those of suburban shelby county, tn, and metropolitan tipton and fayette county. too, metropolitan crittenden county, arkansas, which wasn't considered in the information provided, and metropolitan ms counties of desoto, marshall, tate, and tunica were not considered, because geographically they do not comprise the central city. by so doing, a level field is created, with the exception of the large disparity in population numbers for memphis proper, roughly 200,000+ and the city of nashville.

you fail to provide nothing but, i assume an opiniion, to advance your argument that metropolitan davidson county suburbs have significantly less crime than the shelby county suburbs, even considering the large population difference in shelby county. to use your word, crime is "virtually" nonexistent in germantown, collierville, arlington, lakeland, and bartlett, tn. crime in the ms metropolitan area is relatively insignificant, also, as it is in crittenden, county, arkansas.

polls are very misleading, particularly when they are conducted by realty-based businesses, tourist agencies who accept advertising dollars from publishing companies, and so on. such is the case w/ unscientific polls conducted by sperling, forbes, newsweek, etc., etc., etc. it is pretty much the same ole "who's rubbing the goose!" nashville and charlotte have horrible gang problems, as does memphis; however, memphis has been able to cast several of its gang mafia back to texas and new mexico. this has occurred because of law enforcement by city,county, state, and federal authorities. still, no one would sensibily argue that a problem w/ gangs is absent in memphis proper. perhaps, all of us will simply have to wait and hope that they will eventually kill each other off, much like the "meth heads" who feud in the east tn hill country of knoxville, maryville, johnson city, and the small communities in that area of tn.

until all of these things come to fruition, i'm sure nashville will be doing a good deal of "goose rubbing", in an attempt to keep up w/ her bigger stepsister, charlotte. nashville, when seen w/ clear eyes, always seems to be a bridesmaid and never a bride. unfortunately, this seems never to change. look at its past history.

Last edited by kingchef; 05-31-2009 at 05:23 AM..

Old 05-31-2009, 05:36 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,308,329 times
Default Louisville

I am from Louisville. Go cards!

Be careful, Louisville has grown dramactically in all aspects to include crime. I love the city but I would evaluate first, Louisville does appear on the "First 48", a cop detective show. Which can mean several things, we have the best detectives or maybe there's alot of action. Who knows, either way "Look before you leap."

Very short summary of my experience:

I was never robbed or attacked. Louisville offers alot (best football & basketball in the country) Kentucky State Fair and Horse races are just a few. Plus, UofL is close enough to cincy for visitation (KINGS ISLAND!), many many memories, goes without saying. Weather is nice except for those random ice storms. Job & Housing market seem ok. So I consider my upbringing fairly uneventful.

Regardless, I still love the place. Good luck!

Last edited by jbub22; 05-31-2009 at 05:40 AM.. Reason: errors

Old 05-31-2009, 06:33 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,337,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
Yeah, the crime is isolated to certain areas of town and in general it's not bad...of course that is all relative to me-I moved here from Memphis, TN...LOOK THAT ONE UP IN YOUR CRIME STATISTICS, HAHAHA
Agreed. I moved here from Memphis as well.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:25 AM

100 posts, read 326,487 times
I live on Long Island. The town I live in has an extremely low crime rate but there are 3 "high crime" towns very near to here. I feel safe going anywhere and know not to venture off into the not-so-safe areas.

Every state, county & city have their own "high crime" areas. There is no escaping it. No matter where you live you already know where you shouldn't go... and you may realize it is closer than you think! These areas always seems "scary" when it is a new place or unfamiliar area - get to know where you should not venture off to and you will be fine.

That being said, we are planning our house hunting trip to Wilson County very soon!

Old 05-31-2009, 09:29 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,844,358 times
Quote:
be careful w/ the infamous nashville "slight-of-hand" technique. compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. the op was reviewing the city of nashville. i assume that davidson county might be included; however, one never knows---it usually depends on the pros or cons to those who cheerlead for the area. the supposed metropolitan area is another laugh altogether. i, to give an accurate account, would have to factor all of the violent crime statistics for about 1/2 of middle tn, 13 counties i believe.

the ranking given to nashville as #7 in violent crime nationally, is based on the city of nashville: not 12 additional counties, just the one. this makes for a much more accurate picture of the violence, and i suppose that is why the folk doing the rating showed it that way. in my post, the city of memphis wasn't even mentioned. crime statistics for inner-city memphis are completely separate for those of suburban shelby county, tn, and metropolitan tipton and fayette county. too, metropolitan crittenden county, arkansas, which wasn't considered in the information provided, and metropolitan ms counties of desoto, marshall, tate, and tunica were not considered, because geographically they do not comprise the central city. by so doing, a level field is created, with the exception of the large disparity in population numbers for memphis proper, roughly 200,000+ and the city of nashville.

you fail to provide nothing but, i assume an opiniion, to advance your argument that metropolitan davidson county suburbs have significantly less crime than the shelby county suburbs, even considering the large population difference in shelby county. to use your word, crime is "virtually" nonexistent in germantown, collierville, arlington, lakeland, and bartlett, tn. crime in the ms metropolitan area is relatively insignificant, also, as it is in crittenden, county, arkansas.

polls are very misleading, particularly when they are conducted by realty-based businesses, tourist agencies who accept advertising dollars from publishing companies, and so on. such is the case w/ unscientific polls conducted by sperling, forbes, newsweek, etc., etc., etc. it is pretty much the same ole "who's rubbing the goose!" nashville and charlotte have horrible gang problems, as does memphis; however, memphis has been able to cast several of its gang mafia back to texas and new mexico. this has occurred because of law enforcement by city,county, state, and federal authorities. still, no one would sensibily argue that a problem w/ gangs is absent in memphis proper. perhaps, all of us will simply have to wait and hope that they will eventually kill each other off, much like the "meth heads" who feud in the east tn hill country of knoxville, maryville, johnson city, and the small communities in that area of tn.

until all of these things come to fruition, i'm sure nashville will be doing a good deal of "goose rubbing", in an attempt to keep up w/ her bigger stepsister, charlotte. nashville, when seen w/ clear eyes, always seems to be a bridesmaid and never a bride. unfortunately, this seems never to change. look at its past history.

I'm not hiding anything...I was using the rankings provided from the link that the person from Louisville posted on the first page of this thread. There was a ranking for cities where Memphis ranked 3rd, Nashville 7th and Charlotte ranked 8th. THEN, there was a ranking of Metropolitan Statistical Areas where Memphis ranked 2nd, Charlotte ranked 12th and Nashville didn't break the top 25 so no rating was shown.

Therefore, the Nashville MSA is ranked as being safer than both Memphis and Charlotte.

City Crime Rankings by Population Group

I don't think crime statistics are the same things as Polls because they use hard data...not opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville