Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 06:25 AM

108 posts, read 119,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
"Do what makes you happy. It doesn't have to make sense to other people."
Warren Zevon

(Will PM you)
Thanks,

we were super excited, but now i am feeling guilty due to my mother thinking we are just wanting to leave family and turn down an offer to stay making the same.

Excitement now is just a big pile of worry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 07:26 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93civ View Post
Thanks,

we were super excited, but now i am feeling guilty due to my mother thinking we are just wanting to leave family and turn down an offer to stay making the same.

I moved here in 1999 all by myself. Left all of my family and my boyfriend behind. It all worked out. My boyfriend proposed later that year and then moved here. And eventually my parents moved here too. Don't stay out of guilt. If you do that, you may always be resentful. Plus you can't predict what changes will happen. Your mom could have to move away for some reason one day, and you would have stayed for no reason.
If you feel like you are making the right decision, then I would stay on course. You aren't moving far away. You can make this work.

And just a quick note about a counter offer- 80% of employees leave within 6 months of accepting a counter offer. So you would likely still end up leaving, and you may be left with less choices than you have now.
Here's a great article about counter offers:
5 Reasons Why Accepting Counter-Offers is a Career Curse - Social-Hire

Hope that helps! Sorry this has been so rough.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:50 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
" . . . turn down an offer to stay making the same."

It's NOT about the money!

Old 05-06-2016, 07:55 AM

the money is nice, but the real reason was to move to a new area and start something new. Im feeling a little better about it after talking to a few people.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I moved here in 1999 all by myself. Left all of my family and my boyfriend behind. It all worked out. My boyfriend proposed later that year and then moved here. And eventually my parents moved here too. Don't stay out of guilt. If you do that, you may always be resentful. Plus you can't predict what changes will happen. Your mom could have to move away for some reason one day, and you would have stayed for no reason.
If you feel like you are making the right decision, then I would stay on course. You aren't moving far away. You can make this work.

And just a quick note about a counter offer- 80% of employees leave within 6 months of accepting a counter offer. So you would likely still end up leaving, and you may be left with less choices than you have now.
Here's a great article about counter offers:
5 Reasons Why Accepting Counter-Offers is a Career Curse - Social-Hire

Hope that helps! Sorry this has been so rough.
Thanks for that response. I am glad it all worked out well for you!!

This is the first time I have moved anywhere that wasnt out of my parents house. This is the first time ever I will be moving away from my own home and to somewhere other than my hometown.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:23 PM

37 posts, read 48,684 times
congrats on the job, you'll love it here!

your mom will be fine, its knoxville and only a couple hours away

and brentwood girl is right.... most people tend to leave anyways even after a counter offer, or become one of the first on a list for lay-off, if that happens

Old 05-09-2016, 02:00 PM

thanks....i havent updated in a couple of days, been really busy with prepping the current house, and mothers day etc. It sounds like my first stop I may be temp housed in Mt Juliet. Awesome. That area is on our radar anyway for checking out when we start looking for homes.

We are toying the idea also of just renting something at first temporarily while we get used to the area. We shall see how it plays out.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:41 PM

Its official, i will be in temp housing in the Providence / Mt. Juliet area. Now, if I can manage and figure out how to move belongings to a storage area and continue to get my home sale ready. I like the fact that I could get a free month of storage with uhaul, but it appears they dont hardly have any storage rooms available at any of their locations.

Any other recommendations?

Old 05-10-2016, 02:47 PM

456 posts, read 586,811 times
Quote:
Its official, i will be in temp housing in the Providence / Mt. Juliet area. Now, if I can manage and figure out how to move belongings to a storage area and continue to get my home sale ready. I like the fact that I could get a free month of storage with uhaul, but it appears they dont hardly have any storage rooms available at any of their locations.

Any other recommendations?
Try U Stor It at the intersection of S Mt Juliet Rd/Central PKE

Old 05-11-2016, 08:33 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,007,643 times
Quote:
Thanks,

I know we're a couple posts past this response but I thought I'd chime in. My parents live 6+ hours away and my wife's live 8 hours away. Being a couple of hours away isn't a bad thing though I can understand missing the whole "free babysitting thing". We very much wish one set of parents would come and move down near us for free babysitting but we have made some good friends that volunteer to watch our little one at least once a month. So, fwiw being a couple hours away from parents isn't a bad thing, it'll just introduce a new dynamic (sometimes good) to family life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville