Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:42 PM

7 posts, read 79,702 times

Advertisements

Whats the cheapest cable TV and high speed internet you can get in Nashville? I'm in an apartment till I find a house so the dishes might be out of the question but still I hate paying comcast $90/month for something I use so little. BTW I normally watch the news channels (CNN, Fox, MSNBC, etc...), the food network, cartoon network (the kids) and the history/discovery/TLC channels the rest I can care less about BTW I'm just north of the airport near opryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 03:17 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
You might check into the package offered by AT&T. The law was just passed this year allowing them to get into the cable TV business here; so it seems like they're offering a pretty good deal to generate business. I don't know how good their customer service is, but it couldn't be any worse than Comcast.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:13 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,337,304 times
Ugh. I cannot wait until football season is over then I'm cancelling Comcast and don't care if I even have TV. They are horrible.

We are unable to get DirecTV in this rental, not enough southern exposure. I hope we move by next year.

AT&T is abandoning their relationship with DISH and going with DirecTV so hopefully there will be some other option there. I miss my NFL Sunday Ticket!!!

Old 10-03-2008, 12:27 PM

957 posts, read 3,700,226 times
The AT&T deal is a DSL/DirecTV dish combo. It's still a triple play deal like Comcast but they sub the TV service out to DirecTV. The cost was slightly less than Comcast, but not enough for me to want to deal with DirecTV again. Comcast customer service is bad, but DirecTV is far worse. As providers go, Dish Network was the best. Not saying they were great, just better than the rest, which isn't hard to do.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:28 PM

297 posts, read 1,078,891 times
The cheapest Internet is to buy yourself a wireless network card, and search for unprotected signals. I have found that there are many stupid (or very generous) people in the Nashville area who do not password-protect their Internet access. This means no monthly bills, and free Internet 24-7 for you!

Just to be clear, I don't espouse this method, but you asked for the cheapest Internet you could get...!

Old 10-03-2008, 03:23 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP300 View Post
The cheapest Internet is to buy yourself a wireless network card, and search for unprotected signals. I have found that there are many stupid (or very generous) people in the Nashville area who do not password-protect their Internet access. This means no monthly bills, and free Internet 24-7 for you!

Just to be clear, I don't espouse this method, but you asked for the cheapest Internet you could get...!
Just wondering.....is it illegal to do that or not? I don't do it, but just wondering.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:27 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
Quote:

As I understand it, it's also a good way to get any of your passwords and/or personal data stolen.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:58 PM

957 posts, read 3,700,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Just wondering.....is it illegal to do that or not? I don't do it, but just wondering.
Technically it is. Some states will prosecute if you get caught. To get caught, the person you are stealing it from needs to have some networking knowledge. If you are able to connect to their router, then they have an unsecured network which probably means they don't have much networking knowledge.

If you have a wireless router, you can log into the router via a wired connection and see who is connected to the router. All that really tells you is that someone within a thousand feet or so is connected. From there I guess you'd have to go knocking on doors.

Free internet is all over the place. Most restaurants and coffee shops have free WiFi.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:45 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,337,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
The AT&T deal is a DSL/DirecTV dish combo. It's still a triple play deal like Comcast but they sub the TV service out to DirecTV. The cost was slightly less than Comcast, but not enough for me to want to deal with DirecTV again. Comcast customer service is bad, but DirecTV is far worse. As providers go, Dish Network was the best. Not saying they were great, just better than the rest, which isn't hard to do.
We had DirecTV for about 5 years with no problems, even with 2 moves. DISH doesn't have The NFL Sunday Ticket. I'll pay more for that and the good service. We've had Comcast since July and have had to argue with their incorrect billing every month.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:50 PM

290 posts, read 1,054,137 times
Quote:

You are right about that. I went to visit my stepson in Denver a few years ago. He lived in an apartment building. There were 17 wireless networks and 13 of those were in the clear with no encryption.

I live in Donelson and have my network encrypted and password protected, but a few of my neighbors have their networks wide open.

I figure if a hacker would ever "war drive" my area looking for networks, he/she would ignore my netowrk, since there are so many easier pickings in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville