Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:05 PM

140 posts, read 619,227 times

Advertisements

My guess is that you're more likely to be killed or seriously injured living down in Williamson county (with a long commute in and out of the city every day on our statistically very dangerous highways) than you are living in ANY neighborhood in Nashville. So it really depends on what you mean by "safe."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 09:18 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,836,108 times
Great post Jbmill3! That is an interesting point. How is your house hunting going?

Old 02-03-2009, 09:20 PM

149 posts, read 478,546 times
This thread is dumb. If an area looks bad, then do not go there. I will shut this thread down by explaining everything.

North Nashville- A black community. Has some nice areas such as the Garfield area. The western part of North Nashville is also nice. Some of the parts in the Northern part can me good. Aside from that, horrible, completely.

East Nashville- A half black and half white community. (Literally) Some of the worst crime in the city. Also has safe areas. Urban area with clubs, bars, restaurants. The favorite hang out in town. The area is under extreme remolding. One block can be nice, while the other can look like a crack den. Some people call it "cool." Others call it a cesspool. Depends on your tastes. East Nashville is the area where the neighbor on your left will be a nice person who takes care of their house, car, and family, while the neighbor on your right can be a crack dealer.

West Nashville- A mixed community. A lot of whites, but a large black community as well. Lots of nice areas. Lots of college students. Some nice urban areas. Has some of the richest area in town. Has some run down neighborhoods as well. Some horrible areas.

South Nashville- A mixed community. Large immigrant population. Lots of Latinos and Asians. Lots of blacks and whites as well. Has some good and bad area just like anywhere.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:23 AM

180 posts, read 597,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwe123safi View Post
And there are part that are dead and gone!

I consider those areas in "transition". have you seen some of the newer developments along Main Street??? They rival anything built in Nashville in the last couple of years!

I don't buy the notion that E. Nashville has parts that are dead and gone. I drive through there often and I have yet to really find that to be the case. "Dead and gone" would apply to some neighhoods in a certain city to our southwest, but not here atleast.

I don't have the time, but I would love to disect your demographic break-down above. It's eerily similar to something someone without much current knowledge of the city would come up with. Basically, if you watch the news everyday (read the paper etc.) and that's it, this is how you would break this city apart. I expect better from someone from Forrest Hills.......or do I?

Old 02-04-2009, 07:12 AM

256 posts, read 889,069 times
I live North of Nashville in a town called white house...To me it is very safe here, family community. everyone seems friendly. no problems here and lived here for 4 1/2 years, and its growing.
we can not decide what is bad or not for you. We all have a different view on what area is bad. to me sorry to the person who lives in madison, looks like a bad area, (although i go there every weekend) it is best for you to snoop around on here and find out alil more about each area then visit the area. and see for your self....as you can tell everyone has a different point of view on the areas...

Old 02-04-2009, 07:23 AM

933 posts, read 2,743,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBNA View Post
I consider those areas in "transition". have you seen some of the newer developments along Main Street??? They rival anything built in Nashville in the last couple of years!

I don't buy the notion that E. Nashville has parts that are dead and gone. I drive through there often and I have yet to really find that to be the case. "Dead and gone" would apply to some neighhoods in a certain city to our southwest, but not here atleast.

I don't have the time, but I would love to disect your demographic break-down above. It's eerily similar to something someone without much current knowledge of the city would come up with. Basically, if you watch the news everyday (read the paper etc.) and that's it, this is how you would break this city apart. I expect better from someone from Forrest Hills.......or do I?
I'll have to agree. Even the grittiest areas in East Nashville are seeing revitalization, including areas around Dickerson Pike where prostitution ran rampant. Now business owners are saying that they are seeing joggers and young families from the corresponding neighborhoods walking in the area. South Inglewood is another example. It was common to see drug dealers standing on the street waiting for users to pick-up. Including many "open air drug markets" that the clueless perps inexplicity kept operating like it was business as usual when the residents along with the East precinct had had enough. Does this still go on, sure it does, but more behind closed doors than blatently in the open. Perception is part of reality.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:45 AM

195 posts, read 525,528 times
I've been house hunting lately. What I found out is that if house is good and even in good subdivisions, if the neighbors have big dogs that are unleashed and they just terrorize the vacant house next door, it would still not make sense going there. I had this unfortunate incident of checking out this house that I really liked and luckily, I was inside my car when the next door neighbor sligtly opened his garage to let the huge German Shepherd out and the dog went out looking for me outside. I got scared and was thankful I was already inside my car.

So, as an added tip, make sure your neighbor is not a fan of unleashed big dogs who could devour your little kid (or at least make him afraid to play outside, same effect) or make sure that they leash their dogs outside or the house you're looking at has private fence.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:15 AM

140 posts, read 619,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
Great post Jbmill3! That is an interesting point. How is your house hunting going?
I'm looking at new listings every day, but serious hunting is on hold until I find a job.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:03 AM

427 posts, read 1,308,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bran_smith View Post
to me sorry to the person who lives in madison, looks like a bad area, (although i go there every weekend)
Where in Madison? Have you been to Neeley's Bend? Cedar Hill Park? Graycroft?

Madison isn't just Gallatin Pike and Old Hickory.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:09 AM

63 posts, read 280,650 times
Check out the metro crime map: Metro Nashville Interactive Crime Maps

Crime does happen everywhere, even in a place as expensive and upscale as Green Hills. However, looking at that map should help you see where certain types of crime are more of a trend than an anomaly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville